The Student Room Group

How to get the best contract deal?

My contract on my current phone runs out in May but I'm able to upgrade with my network (EE) from the end of March.

I'm looking at getting the Nexus 6P, but like most people, I want to get the best deal possible. I'm pretty set on staying with EE as their network coverage is good, and I have been very happy with them for the whole time I have been a customer with them.

I have previously bought phones from third party vendors such as buymobiles.net, but will I get a better deal by upgrading with EE, rather than waiting for my contract to run and then starting afresh, or even by going into the store and playing the loyalty card? (Been a customer of theirs from the start)

I have looked on the EE website about upgrades, but the information isn't all that helpful.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting a good deal on a premium handset, either through an online vendor or bartering someone down in store?
Original post by PaediatricStN
My contract on my current phone runs out in May but I'm able to upgrade with my network (EE) from the end of March.

I'm looking at getting the Nexus 6P, but like most people, I want to get the best deal possible. I'm pretty set on staying with EE as their network coverage is good, and I have been very happy with them for the whole time I have been a customer with them.

I have previously bought phones from third party vendors such as buymobiles.net, but will I get a better deal by upgrading with EE, rather than waiting for my contract to run and then starting afresh, or even by going into the store and playing the loyalty card? (Been a customer of theirs from the start)

I have looked on the EE website about upgrades, but the information isn't all that helpful.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting a good deal on a premium handset, either through an online vendor or bartering someone down in store?

A) Shop around and find the best contracts you can on the phone you want from different carriers (including Tesco Mobile, giffgaff etc) or from established third party sellers on the UK (ideally ones with high street presence like Carphone Warehouse). Make a note of what you find.
B) Call EE, tell them you're most likely going to cancel your contract when it expires and move to another carrier (you're not planning to leave them, but they don't know that), and say you are wondering information you will need ready to make a quick transfer and when you will need to give notice to ensure you don't get any further bills after your final payment. They will almost certainly transfer you to a customer retention team who will ask you why you want to leave, at which point you can tell them you've seen a deal elsewhere for the phone you want. They will almost certainly make you offers either matching or beating that deal.
C) Even if they offer you the greatest offer in the world that you absolutely want to accept, do not accept it over the phone with them now. Tell them you are still weighing up your options and ask them to email you the full details of the offer they've just made so that you can get in touch with them if you choose to accept (they should have no problem doing that). This essentially makes sure you have their offer in writing and documented, covering your ass in case they bill you more or give you less usage when the new contract starts- I've had multiple relatives accept upgrades from their carriers over the phone only to find they're not given exactly what they ask for, but because they have no record of the original offer they are normally stuck with what they got.

I've done this with my last contract and my brother's and both times we've got very good deals. Theoretically you shouldn't run into issues if your current contract was bought through a third party, but EE may ask you to go through them depending on the exact nature of your contract.
Really, really helpful. Thank you very much! I'll give it a try!
Reply 3
Original post by PaediatricStN
Really, really helpful. Thank you very much! I'll give it a try!

Did you try the advice given above? Now did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_
Did you try the advice given above? Now did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not due for an upgrade until at least the end of March but been so busy with my work that I haven't even thought about it over the last week or so. Will probably try in April/May time, but happy to feedback how it went then! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, I'm eligible for an upgrade today, do you think they would reduce the monthly cost of the S7 from £45 to £36 which is the price for carphone warehouse's tariff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_
Hi, I'm eligible for an upgrade today, do you think they would reduce the monthly cost of the S7 from £45 to £36 which is the price for carphone warehouse's tariff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's a like-for-like contract, I would expect they would try to match it.
Reply 7
They said they don't match 3rd party prices :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending