The Student Room Group

Is height directly linked with confidence?

A lot of the time I talk to people who are on the shorter side and for them height is a bit of an issue, like someone criticisng their height makes them defensive and a lot of the time constant mentioning of it makes them really upset. On the other hand, a lot of people I know who are on the taller side aren't really bothered, or there's some kind of competition. When it's mentioned they often take it as a compliment. Why is that? Also there's a definite difference between guys and girls, often a lot of guys want girls who are smaller than there are and many women like being the shorter one in a relationship. Just wondering what you guys think?
Original post by Kanairee
A lot of the time I talk to people who are on the shorter side and for them height is a bit of an issue, like someone criticisng their height makes them defensive and a lot of the time constant mentioning of it makes them really upset. On the other hand, a lot of people I know who are on the taller side aren't really bothered, or there's some kind of competition. When it's mentioned they often take it as a compliment. Why is that? Also there's a definite difference between guys and girls, often a lot of guys want girls who are smaller than there are and many women like being the shorter one in a relationship. Just wondering what you guys think?

6'2", no confidence at all.
Reply 2
Not really. :dontknow:
often a lot of guys want girls who are smaller than there are and many women like being the shorter one in a relationship

the first thing happens due to the second thing; it's just a matter of social stereotypes and meeting expectations

from personal experience, I'm only 5'7" at the moment(I'd like to grow :lol:) and I'm probably one of the most confident people in my year, so confident that people get bitter about it and call me arrogant (although to be honest, sometimes I can get way too big-headed :colondollar:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tinemither
6'2", no confidence at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons for you to be confident though :biggrin: height's not an exclusive factor ~
I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons for you to be confident though :biggrin: height's not an exclusive factor ~

I've never been confident. Was always bullied for my height and weight. Therefore confidence was never a friend to me. In fact, it was never introduced to me. If I was to have a shred of confidence, I'd like to hope it was embedded within my intelligence.
Reply 6
I've never been confident. Was always bullied for my height and weight. Therefore confidence was never a friend to me. In fact, it was never introduced to me. If I was to have a shred of confidence, I'd like to hope it was embedded within my intelligence.

I think extremes of height, like being either really tall or really small, are considered to be bully-worthy by people, especially when we're growing up. I was quite small growing up too, but the thing is to understand that their opinions of you really don't matter in the slightest. The only opinion of you that you should be concerned with is yours :smile:
Reply 7
I was bullied for my height in primary school... I was like 5ft6 when everyone else was lucky to be 5'0 so I stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm now 5'10 and happy with my height (I'm female btw)
Well, I have tall friends that feel insecure because they're 'too tall for girls', they 'shouldn't wear heels', it 'makes them look masculine' etc. It works both ways.
I think extremes of height, like being either really tall or really small, are considered to be bully-worthy by people, especially when we're growing up. I was quite small growing up too, but the thing is to understand that their opinions of you really don't matter in the slightest. The only opinion of you that you should be concerned with is yours :smile:

I agree. Kids bully for everything. They're horrible specimines. I avoided them, obviously. Were you ever bullied?

6'2 is the alpha height, how were you bullied? Unless you are obese or something.
Original post by babawunga
6'2 is the alpha height, how were you bullied? Unless you are obese or something.

It is?
Bullied for being anorexic, as I was 6'2" at 12, but only 6st. Just over. Then it became physical as I lacked the means to protect myself.
Reply 12
I agree. Kids bully for everything. They're horrible specimines. I avoided them, obviously. Were you ever bullied?

I was, I think everyone has been at some point. Bullies always tend to pick on the things people have no control over because those are the things they can't change. I decided that I didn't like them, and they didn't like me, so why should it matter what they thought of me :smile:
I was, I think everyone has been at some point. Bullies always tend to pick on the things people have no control over because those are the things they can't change. I decided that I didn't like them, and they didn't like me, so why should it matter what they thought of me :smile:

I agree. Last time J was picked on, just shy of a year ago, I told the kids I wasn't interested and sat through the onslaught of insults. They grew bored, so walked off while I laughed at each comment. Still, it sticks like a fly to wall paper paste
George and Lennie
It is?
Bullied for being anorexic, as I was 6'2" at 12, but only 6st. Just over. Then it became physical as I lacked the means to protect myself.

Ah, yeah 6'2 at 12 is quite weird. Once you're 18 though you are the best height. Just hit the gym and put on some mass bruh. How old are you now?
Original post by babawunga
Ah, yeah 6'2 at 12 is quite weird. Once you're 18 though you are the best height. Just hit the gym and put on some mass bruh. How old are you now?

Funny you should say 18. I am now xD

I would do, but financial troubles and I'm suffering with a lung condition which may risk my life if I do exercise in a certain amount. Any amount is strenuous, but gym work would be asking for an untimely visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending