The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
So what is your job? To mock?

Why not? Of course mockery isn't what actually solves issues, but it can bond people together for a common cause. Just look at the amount of vitriol democrats and republicans throw at each other on social media and elsewhere. And people who are mocking each other one day can be at a table having debates and discussions the next. It's just a perfectly normal part of human behaviour.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Classically confused juvenile pseudo-intellectual faux-liberal antics. What a bunch of #MuesliMunchenBetaMenchen :laugh:

Some people are genuine pussies who need to grow a backbone and learn to love/laugh at themselves :yy:

Sometimes to be nasty, but mostly for the lulz. The kind of uni event in question is just a bit of harmless fun. SJWs need to chill the **** out, address their mental health issues, and not be so salty all the time

Knit cute little tea cosies :innocent:

Spoiler

There is no law against being mocked/offended. People need to lighten up and learn to take a joke. We Brits have been the subject of lampooning for centuries do we cry about it like little bitches? No. We have that stip upper lip after all :wink:

Might wanna brush up on your history of physiology, Democracy, and modern medicine before Med School hun :redface:

I’ll save you the journey: what they’re like is stale as **** :yawn: Source: Have worked for a metropolitan uni student's union and visited others

But there is nothing to laugh about?

If I saw someone trying to appropriate middle eastern culture,yes I be very vocal about it and not just me alone I imagine. I am again the exploitation of somebody else's culture especially where the person appropriating it has little knowledge about the history and tradition of said culture.

I think I have mastered all three topic already :wink:

KCL is a very diverse uni,I'm genuinely interested in going to check it out. I don't remember any of this stuff happening whilst I was there tho
Original post by Foo.mp3
There's always something to laugh about, hence the fancy dress themed event in the first place, use your imagination, don't run the risk of becoming just another brainwashed, humourless drone! :naughty:

Don't recall you protesting owt like this in the past..

Spoiler

Hehe. We have much still to learn, my young padawan. Always remember my words: "integrity, charity, and humility are chief among virtues"

Ok, well perhaps I will take you at the appropriate juncture. Perhaps we could shoot some interviews together :smile:

I'm glad the party got cancelled,I find it pretty humourless to be mocking other people's culture.

Hah,the kardashians have been also the subject of cultural appropriation. I remember when Khloe went to Dubai or Saudia Arabia and she was wearing middle eastern attire and posing in a way that looked seductive and being praised for looking sexy ,meanwhile Arab women are being told they're oppressed when they wear similar things. It's not fair. I remember when Scott disick wore a thawb for Halloween and talked about getting 'Arab money' and people were non stop ranting on Twitter about him making a mockery of our attire. It's distasteful

I know that,I'm always open to learning more,ofcourse :smile:

That's so cool. We will have to travel to all campuses okay. But first start of with my campus in London Bridge
I'm glad the party got cancelled,I find it pretty humourless to be mocking other people's culture.

http://www.gspellchecker.com/2016/02/whats-being-said-about-atheists-in-arabic/

Some Arabs (I reiterate not all) don't think kindly of certain people.

I am not willing to judge all Arabs based on their tweets, but it does not give a good indication.

Anyway, you may not find it humourless but others (including other Arabs) may do. For example, the King of Jordan invited Russel Peters to his palace, despite him being a comedian that mocked Arab culture. What right or entitlement do you have to block this because you find it "humourless" (or offensive). You seem to look at one (bad) side of comedy, comedy and satire has been used to point out flaws in certain things in a way most people would otherwise find it uncomfortable to talk about. So, the effect of comedy and satire has on our development (of all cultures) should not be understated imo. If we don't allow ourselves to be mocked, laugh at ourselves or even look at ourselves critically, how can we expect to improve.

I do agree with you that there is just mindless bigotry, but the vast majority (almost all) of "cultural appropriation" is not that.
You know a thread has gone to **** when @Foo.mp3 and @queen-bee start thirsting over all it
Original post by DiddyDec
Well there was reggae night, although they banned blacking up, so many opted for the use of heavy fake tan and fake dread locks.
The 1st rugby team dressed as terrorists, all Islamic of course.
Bavarian Beer Night with oompah band and steins.

You would have loved it.
And best of all, I was the Equality and Diversity Officer for the SU.

Incredible. :rofl:
I'm glad my uni has safe spaces for vunerable students who have been affected by cultural appropriation

This is why the West is crumbling. :sigh:
This thread is hilarious. Everyone desperate to be edgier than everyone else and demonstrate that they are less PC. First everyone is trying to out-PC everyone else and now this. These things come full-circle if you give them enough time.
When anyone talks about wanting a 'safe space' at university, I stop and wonder what their lives will actually be like when they graduate into the real world. The shock is coming.
Original post by Philbert
This thread is hilarious. Everyone desperate to be edgier than everyone else and demonstrate that they are less PC. First everyone is trying to out-PC everyone else and now this. These things come full-circle if you give them enough time.

Nobody can be edgier than me, that is fact.
Original post by Foo.mp3
When did you become such a lacklustre kill-joy? Have you never been to fancy dress parties? Why should cultures get special treatment/somehow be off limits? :erm:

Do you think a white girl like Kim wearing bell dancing gear is distasteful?

It's a date. I have all the gear, ready to go - all I need now is a suitably glamorous interviewer :flutter:

Haha. True, true :colonhash:

Since I became friends with a few 'SJWs'. I'm not a kill joy,these things are just not nice. Yes I have actually. I've been to my uni Halloween dress up party,ended up going as cleo patra and in my second year as Scheherazade from nights of Arabia and the one time I was supposed to dress at princess jasmine for the night of Arabia club party

I don't think as Kim being fully white,she's half Armenian and looks like it so much and only her mother is white. I still think it's distasteful tho but because she looks nice in it and it's more of a fashion statement,plus the fact she's a celebrity people will praise her for looking hot in it/wearing it but catch your average middle eastern girl doing such a thing and she'll catch hell,called a slut or called other sorts of degrading name for revealing to much skin or trying to act a certain way. And also another orientalist thing that comes to mind is this racial fetish thing with ME girls, calling them exotic. It's got to stop.

Well lucky for you,there's no need for me to culturally appropriate my attire,I'll wear something Italian/middle eastern related.
Original post by chemting
http://www.gspellchecker.com/2016/02/whats-being-said-about-atheists-in-arabic/

Some Arabs (I reiterate not all) don't think kindly of certain people.

I am not willing to judge all Arabs based on their tweets, but it does not give a good indication.

Anyway, you may not find it humourless but others (including other Arabs) may do. For example, the King of Jordan invited Russel Peters to his palace, despite him being a comedian that mocked Arab culture. What right or entitlement do you have to block this because you find it "humourless" (or offensive). You seem to look at one (bad) side of comedy, comedy and satire has been used to point out flaws in certain things in a way most people would otherwise find it uncomfortable to talk about. So, the effect of comedy and satire has on our development (of all cultures) should not be understated imo. If we don't allow ourselves to be mocked, laugh at ourselves or even look at ourselves critically, how can we expect to improve.

I do agree with you that there is just mindless bigotry, but the vast majority (almost all) of "cultural appropriation" is not that.

What's has religion got to do with cultural appropriation? Anyone can follow a religion,no matter what skin colour you are so I don't get the point you're trying to make about Arabs not being accepting. Arabs are not this one huge group of people who are 100% the same. We differ even within our own countries. Some of us are Christians and Jews,or have you never heard of such a thing. We differ also in the way we speak our language,the food we eat,even within the culture itself,things are different in every middle eastern country. Hah good for the prince of Jordan,hopefully he had a good word with the chap and made him see sense

That's the thing. The majority of the time,outsiders who are culturally appropriating another person's culture are uneducated about that particular culture and its history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
Harper Adams. I'm guessing you have never heard of it.

Nope
What's has religion got to do with cultural appropriation?

So a religion, particularly one that is supposed to dominate your life, worldview and behaviour, has nothing to do with culture? specially since culture is defined as such (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culture)

Anyone can follow a religion,no matter what skin colour you are so I don't get the point you're trying to make about Arabs not being accepting.

I have never said Arabs are not accepting... some Arabs are not excepting, even of other Arabs. I'm sure you'll agree that's the same for some white people (not even accepting of other white people). This is "everything is sexist, everything is racist" victim complex that generalises non-Arabs a lot. Arabs aren't really a "skin colour", if they were, some of them would be extremely white that they'd KKK to shame.

Arabs are not this one huge group of people who are 100% the same.

I don't think anybody rational said that

We differ even within our own countries. Some of us are Christians and Jews,or have you never heard of such a thing.

I know there are Christians are Jews in Arab. Some Arabs are technically Semites too... the point I'm trying to make is if you judge "the whole society must be racist regardless of what they do because some people are" then I can make the same for Arabs (all hate atheists)...

We differ also in the way we speak our language,the food we eat,even within the culture itself,things are different in every middle eastern country.

So you admit "mocking" one part of "Arab culture" is not denigrating all Arabs? Because as you say even Arabs differ in their culture. I think it is self-centred that your particular brand of "Arab culture" represents all Arabs. If it doesn't do that, I don't see why you're offended if someone "mocks" a certain part of Arab culture if it clearly does not represent all Arabs.

Hah good for the prince of Jordan,hopefully he had a good word with the chap and made him see sense

Erm no, the King of Jordan has a good sense of humour and he doesn't get offended easily. He even mocked his own "Jordanian Arab" culture in an interview on national TV. He's a very nice guy.

Ironically one of the aspects that Russel Peters mocked is the "easily offended" nature of Arab culture

That's the thing. The majority of the time,outsiders who are culturally appropriating another person's culture are uneducated about that particular culture and its history.

What a racist comment! non-Arabs are uneducated so they must be bigots. Do you not know some Arabs mock "western culture" with being as uneducated about it as the evil white people?

Ignore all my ranting, my main what is the difference between comedy & satire and "mocking" as you put it?
Arabs are not this one huge group of people who are 100% the same. We differ even within our own countries. Some of us are Christians and Jews

No, Arabs are Arabs and Jews are Jews.
Original post by chemting
So a religion, particularly one that is supposed to dominate your life, worldview and behaviour, has nothing to do with culture? specially since culture is defined as such (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culture)

I have never said Arabs are not accepting... some Arabs are not excepting, even of other Arabs. I'm sure you'll agree that's the same for some white people (not even accepting of other white people). This is "everything is sexist, everything is racist" victim complex that generalises non-Arabs a lot. Arabs aren't really a "skin colour", if they were, some of them would be extremely white that they'd KKK to shame.

I don't think anybody rational said that

I know there are Christians are Jews in Arab. Some Arabs are technically Semites too... the point I'm trying to make is if you judge "the whole society must be racist regardless of what they do because some people are" then I can make the same for Arabs (all hate atheists)...

So you admit "mocking" one part of "Arab culture" is not denigrating all Arabs? Because as you say even Arabs differ in their culture. I think it is self-centred that your particular brand of "Arab culture" represents all Arabs. If it doesn't do that, I don't see why you're offended if someone "mocks" a certain part of Arab culture if it clearly does not represent all Arabs.

Erm no, the King of Jordan has a good sense of humour and he doesn't get offended easily. He even mocked his own "Jordanian Arab" culture in an interview on national TV. He's a very nice guy.

Ironically one of the aspects that Russel Peters mocked is the "easily offended" nature of Arab culture

What a racist comment! non-Arabs are uneducated so they must be bigots. Do you not know some Arabs mock "western culture" with being as uneducated about it as the evil white people?

Ignore all my ranting, my main what is the difference between comedy & satire and "mocking" as you put it?

Depends how religious you are I guess.

Where have I said Arabs are a skin colour? And who here is painting the UK to be racist? We are talking about this individual case and these individual students making a mockery. I don't know what victim complex you're talking about,I have white friends,I'm mostly white myself,they've never tried to appropriate my middle eastern culture.

Who has said the whole of society is racist? We are talking about this particular issue. Again,you seem to be confusing race with religion. I'm an Arab,a Christian Arab but do I hate atheists? Nope. Do my Syrian family hate atheists? Nope. Do my Middle eastern friends hate atheists? Nope. I think you're confusing this whole story alittle. Nobody is talking about the UK as a whole. We are talking about this individual case right now,so for you to try and brand all Arabs as atheist hating is abit confusing to me.

Most of our culture is the same. That's what unites us as Arab. The language and culture,sure we have changes and differences here and there but we are mostly the same,so yes it does represent Arabs unless you specify which country in the Arab world.

I know he's a very nice guy but he's not my role model,so I don't care who he decides to invite to his palace. Yeah he did it in a jokey way but that doesn't give the other guy the right to mock Jordanian culture because he probably doesn't know the history of said culture m. Why can't people just stop with the need to feel like they have to mock this and that in the name of having fun and 'satire'. Russell peters shouldn't be mocking our culture in the first place. People take pride in their culture,it what brings them closer,so yes I'm sorry if people are easily offended.

I'm not against comedy,satire but intentional mockery of a minority people/majority,especially where the mocker knows nothing about said culture is disgusting if you ask me.

It's not a racist comment as I wasn't talking about a particular race,re read

'That's the thing. The majority of the time,outsiders who are culturally appropriating another person's culture are uneducated about that particular culture and its history.'

That goes for everyone. We aren't just talking about Arabs in particular,even the Arabs you mentioned. Mockery of any culture is unacceptable. And yes most of the time people genuinely have no clue about the history of said culture but they appropriate it for fun and games
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by admonit

No. We are both Semites. There are Arab Jews. Who identify as Arabs
No. We are both Semites.

And both are human beings. Still Arabs are Arabs and Jews are Jews.
There are Arab Jews. Who identify as Arabs

Arab Jews are (in fact were and then were successfully expelled) Jews living in Arab countries. If a person identifies himself as an Arab he is an Arab.
Depends how religious you are I guess.

Where have I said Arabs are a skin colour? And who here is painting the UK to be racist? We are talking about this individual case and these individual students making a mockery. I don't know what victim complex you're talking about,I have white friends,I'm mostly white myself,they've never tried to appropriate my middle eastern culture.

Who has said the whole of society is racist? We are talking about this particular issue. Again,you seem to be confusing race with religion. I'm an Arab,a Christian Arab but do I hate atheists? Nope. Do my Syrian family hate atheists? Nope. Do my Middle eastern friends hate atheists? Nope. I think you're confusing this whole story alittle. Nobody is talking about the UK as a whole. We are talking about this individual case right now,so for you to try and brand all Arabs as atheist hating is abit confusing to me.

I don't think you understand the history and origin of this "cultural appropriation movement", and how it became a thing. But that's a long story. I have to reiterate again that I've never tried to brand all Arabs as atheist hating (I've specifically said that is not the case). I used this as an example, to show that Arabs criticise non-Arab "culture" as well. I think they have the right to do that

But do you think "Arab culture", much like every other culture, don't have any negative aspects... and if they do, do you think they shouldn't be highlighted through satire?

Most of our culture is the same. That's what unites us as Arab. The language and culture,sure we have changes and differences here and there but we are mostly the same,so yes it does represent Arabs unless you specify which country in the Arab world.

I don't see how a non-Arab wearing an "Arab dress" is offensive (or appropriating their culture) - specially as not all Arabs wear them.

I know he's a very nice guy but he's not my role model,so I don't care who he decides to invite to his palace. Yeah he did it in a jokey way but that doesn't give the other guy the right to mock Jordanian culture because he probably doesn't know the history of said culture m. Why can't people just stop with the need to feel like they have to mock this and that in the name of having fun and 'satire'. Russell peters shouldn't be mocking our culture in the first place. People take pride in their culture,it what brings them closer,so yes I'm sorry if people are easily offended.

I don't think he's anybody's "role model", my point is he clearly enjoys Peters' work (as do many Arabs), what right do you have to say he shouldn't satirise Arabs?

I'm not against comedy,satire but intentional mockery of a minority people/majority,especially where the mocker knows nothing about said culture is disgusting if you ask me.

I understand intentional bigotry, but how is comedy not "intentional mocking", are comedians accidentally making fun?

It's not a racist comment as I wasn't talking about a particular race,re read

I used it as an example, specially considering what this "cultural appropriation movement" entails.

'
That's the thing. The majority of the time,outsiders who are culturally appropriating another person's culture are uneducated about that particular culture and its history.'

What's "appropriating"? Me eating Arab food and commenting on it is appropriating? No outsiders can ever comment or do anything on "culture" that's not theirs?

Mockery of any culture is unacceptable.

Even people who mock their own culture (including Arabs)?
Original post by admonit

Err its not as black and white as that?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending