The Student Room Group

C4 further calculus parametric differentiation help needed!

about to upload my question now... think what i've done up to is correct just dont know where to go from where i am...
Reply 1
Original post by AndyOC
about to upload my question now... think what i've done up to is correct just dont know where to go from where i am...

image.jpg
Attachment not found
Question 15
Reply 2
Moved to maths.
Original post by AndyOC
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Question 15

Get a common denominator in each bracket, then multiply the numerators and denominators and simplify.
Reply 4
If your second bracket is supposed to be dt/dx it's incorrect, you can't just flip the two fractions like that and get the correct result.
Reply 5
Original post by Asurat
If your second bracket is supposed to be dt/dx it's incorrect, you can't just flip the two fractions like that and get the correct result.

how should it be written?
Reply 6
Original post by AndyOC

Common denominator then flip.

Try doing 1/(1/2 + 1/2) and see what happens if you don't simplify. Your way gets you 2 + 2

The proper way gets you 1
Reply 7
Original post by AndyOC

I'd personally make the two fractions a single fraction with a common denominator and then inverse afterwards, so have a go at that.
Original post by AndyOC
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Question 15

^^take note of asurats post

take this example; x=3+2 \displaystyle x = 3 + 2 but 1x13+12 \displaystyle \frac{1}{x} \neq \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{2} , notice how you cant just flip both fractions like that

so score out the last line and get dx/dt and dy/dt both as a single fraction with a common denominator. btw your writing is really nice :tongue:

PS aren't you a fan of the quotient rule?
Reply 9
image.jpg
Original post by DylanJ42
^^take note of asurats post

take this example; x=3+2 \displaystyle x = 3 + 2 but 1x13+12 \displaystyle \frac{1}{x} \neq \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{2} , notice how you cant just flip both fractions like that

so score out the last line and get dx/dt and dy/dt both as a single fraction with a common denominator. btw your writing is really nice :tongue:

PS aren't you a fan of the quotient rule?
is this correct?
Original post by AndyOC
image.jpg is this correct?

looks good to me :biggrin: nice job
Reply 11
Original post by DylanJ42
looks good to me :biggrin: nice job

ah yeah i see it now, thank you!:biggrin:
Reply 12
thank you everyone!:smile:
Original post by AndyOC
image.jpg is this correct?

You're supposed to remove the (1+t)^2 in the denominator

EDIT: opps, forget what I said. Thought that bottom answer was dy/dx and not dy/dt
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest