The Student Room Group

I swear AS Maths compared to other AS subjects is easy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
What was the problem with C2? :erm:

I found the C2 exam difficult last year for some reason too :redface: thankfully, the grade boundaries were generous

I think a lot of the questions just looked unfamiliar, but they were simply basic underneath
Original post by Serine Soul
I found the C2 exam difficult last year for some reason too :redface: thankfully, the grade boundaries were generous

I think a lot of the questions just looked unfamiliar, but they were simply basic underneath

Hmm okay that's fair enough

I did see an unusual amount of complaints last year, but I wasn't sure why. Maybe the question style.

Sucks for the people who learn just off past papers and don't actually take the time to understand it :colonhash:
What was the problem with C2? :erm:

Some of the questions in it. The last question I remember about the sin and cos graphs which was weird. Overall got 89% UMS still.
Original post by Vikingninja
Some of the questions in it. The last question I remember about the sin and cos graphs which was weird. Overall got 89% UMS still.

Hm

I don't remember much about it but I was weirded out because so many people were complaining. As I said above, maybe just the question style didn't come across easily to many people
Hm

I don't remember much about it but I was weirded out because so many people were complaining. As I said above, maybe just the question style didn't come across easily to many people

The last I remember it being something like alpha = some symbol * cos (vita - another symbol) and I'm not sure what the extra weird part was but I think a part had something like putting on the graph where alpha = vita. Again don't remember much but I hated that question, can't really remember the others so much.
I really disagree, maths was even one of my worst at GCSE as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vikingninja
The last I remember it being something like alpha = some symbol * cos (vita - another symbol) and I'm not sure what the extra weird part was but I think a part had something like putting on the graph where alpha = vita. Again don't remember much but I hated that question, can't really remember the others so much.

You sure?

These were the last 2 questions

http://puu.sh/nDK1W.png

http://puu.sh/nDK2Q.png
Reply 47
You sure?

You really like your puush, don't you? xD
Original post by Zacken
You really like your puush, don't you? xD

puush is the gamer's best friend :colone:

You can share links so easily even when urls are censored in game

e.g.

"p nDK2Q" and everyone understands the p = puu.sh/ :biggrin:
Reply 49
puush is the gamer's best friend :colone:

You can share links so easily even when urls are censored in game

e.g.

"p nDK2Q" and everyone understands the p = puu.sh/ :biggrin:

I'll need to check it out, I'm using imgur at the moment. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
I'll need to check it out, I'm using imgur at the moment. :lol:

Ahh puu.sh is so nice :biggrin:

The keyboard shortcut is lovely too
You sure?

It's been nearly a year and i still have absolutely no idea how to do question 9. It messed me up so badly. I still got an A in C2 but that question confused the hell out of me. I don't know where to start. I think the cost past threw me off.

I'm fine with C3 and C4 now but that C2 question brings back memories lol. How do you do it?
I think the reason you're finding it easy is because the Traditional Past Papers for each board crop up the same question over and over.

The newer papers being released have changed this though; so don't go to the exam unprepared because you think it's easy.
Original post by Lawliettt
It's been nearly a year and i still have absolutely no idea how to do question 9. It messed me up so badly. I still got an A in C2 but that question confused the hell out of me. I don't know where to start. I think the cost past threw me off.

I'm fine with C3 and C4 now but that C2 question brings back memories lol. How do you do it?

Oh I see!

Vol = pi r^2 * h = 75pi

so r^2 * h = 75

So h = 75/r^2

Curved surface area = h * 2pi r = 75/r^2 * 2pi r = 150pi/r

If it costs 2 pounds per cm^2, then just multiply the curved surface area to get 300pi/r

For the top and bottom, it's just pi * r^2 * 3 (cost per cm^2) * 2 (you have a top and bottom)

so add these and voila

for part b it's just normal differentiating = 0 and solving for r. Then plug r in to the C equation

c) you double differentiate and plug your r value in to get a positive which means minimum

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54

Spoiler

Nah, looks fine, I'll LaTeX it up if she still doesn't understand. xD
Hmm okay that's fair enough

I did see an unusual amount of complaints last year, but I wasn't sure why. Maybe the question style.

Sucks for the people who learn just off past papers and don't actually take the time to understand it :colonhash:

There were a few questions that were more difficult/different than normal, such as a trig question requiring the use of quadratic formula etc that a lot of people didn't like
Reply 56
Original post by mattismad
I think the reason you're finding it easy is because the Traditional Past Papers for each board crop up the same question over and over.

The newer papers being released have changed this though; so don't go to the exam unprepared because you think it's easy.

They're still going to be mind-numbingly easy and dull papers.
Original post by Zacken
Nah, looks fine, I'll LaTeX it up if she still doesn't understand. xD

:five:
Reply 58
Original post by samb1234
There were a few questions that were more difficult/different than normal, such as a trig question requiring the use of quadratic formula etc that a lot of people didn't like

Surely quadratic trig equations are commonplace?
Original post by samb1234

I thought this was practiced a lot in the textbook?

Original post by Zacken
Surely quadratic trig equations are commonplace?
4/4, is it? :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest