The Student Room Group

Do you feel pressured to buy your girlfriend the best engagement ring?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't feel pressured but she will wear it for the rest of her life so I thought it was worth spending a lot on. It's something nice to look at for 60 years or so. Even after she dies, a diamond is still going to be beautiful, undamaged and still worth a lot of money so it is something good to pass on.
Original post by queen-bee
Good question OP. I'm sure most guys would go for something pleasing,if not the best of rings

for you i will create a ring with 11 of these:

http://www.israel-diamonds.com/product/Emerald/sg/12122.aspx?ReturnUrl=/search/emeralds/default.aspxq_qloc%3Dpic

:heart:
I have to wear that ring for hopefully the rest of my life, so I would probably pick it out and give him a picture of the one I liked.

I don't care about how expensive the ring is and what brand i.e. Tiffany's, I just want it to be a ring that I would fell happy and comfortable wearing :smile:

:jumphug: that looks so mesmerising
Original post by drowzee

My sister's engagement ring was £11,500 :redface: It's a stunning ring and the clarity is amazing.

:indiff:

Aint no way I am ever forking out for that.
Original post by evalilyXOX
I have to wear that ring for hopefully the rest of my life, so I would probably pick it out and give him a picture of the one I liked.

I don't care about how expensive the ring is and what brand i.e. Tiffany's, I just want it to be a ring that I would fell happy and comfortable wearing :smile:

Would you ever pick out a ring of £12500 in value and request something like that for your engagement ring?
Original post by queen-bee
:jumphug: that looks so mesmerising

diamonds are cold hard and chilling.... for you the warmth and delicacy of emeralds is fitting

:flutter:
Original post by the bear
diamonds are cold hard and chilling.... for you the warmth and delicacy of emeralds is fitting

:flutter:

How about ruby?
Reply 28
I have issues about the ethical implications of diamonds. I'd rather spend the money on something useful.
Original post by Tinemither
Would you ever pick out a ring of £12500 in value and request something like that for your engagement ring?

Never ! I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something that expensive on my finger every day.

I would just want to pick out my own ring to make sure that I pick the colour of metal that I like (white gold) and I get the cut of diamond that suits me.

I wouldn't ask for anything over the £2,000 mark and I would probably help pay towards it
Never ! I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something that expensive on my finger every day.

I would just want to pick out my own ring to make sure that I pick the colour of metal that I like (white gold) and I get the cut of diamond that suits me.

I wouldn't ask for anything over the £2,000 mark and I would probably help pay towards it

That's fair enough. If you had a partner who earned over £60000 a year, didn't have any kids to support or anything and had a cleared morgage/rented their own appartment, would you then push it higher? :P

If I'm earning £80k a year, not paying much out of it for anything, I'd gladly push higher than 10k if I had the money saved.

:love:

Just remember that you will need to replace my ring everyday :yep:
That's fair enough. If you had a partner who earned over £60000 a year, didn't have any kids to support or anything and had a cleared morgage/rented their own appartment, would you then push it higher? :P

If I'm earning £80k a year, not paying much out of it for anything, I'd gladly push higher than 10k if I had the money saved.

I don't think it has anything to do with me or my partner's financial status, my dad is pushing £300k a year and my mum's ring was around £2,000.

It has more to do with the fact that I do not wear a lot of jewellery, so I would feel uncomfortable wearing a ring that was worth that amount of money.

I think it is sweet of guys to want to buy the biggest and best for their other halves but personally I wouldn't want that. :smile:

I would way rather save that money for an amazing honeymoon, as memories are way more valuable to me than possessions.
I have no time for "it's the thought that counts" mentality here: I would want an absolutely massive diamond.
I don't think it has anything to do with me or my partner's financial status, my dad is pushing £300k a year and my mum's ring was around £2,000.

It has more to do with the fact that I do not wear a lot of jewellery, so I would feel uncomfortable wearing a ring that was worth that amount of money.

I think it is sweet of guys to want to buy the biggest and best for their other halves but personally I wouldn't want that. :smile:

I would way rather save that money for an amazing honeymoon, as memories are way more valuable to me than possessions.

Woahh, what is your father's occupation? XD that's an insane amount to be earning yearly!

Ohh, that makes perfect sense :smile: I own a watch, that's about it :P I don't think I suit rings, so it could be a struggle to find one to fit me xD But even so.

So, you like white gold and a personalised-cut diamond?
Reply 35
Original post by the bear
tbh this ring buying business is rather creepy ? if you are in love then a cheap £1 shop ring will do.

:getmecoat:
"Patriarchy"
Woahh, what is your father's occupation? XD that's an insane amount to be earning yearly!

Ohh, that makes perfect sense :smile: I own a watch, that's about it :P I don't think I suit rings, so it could be a struggle to find one to fit me xD But even so.

So, you like white gold and a personalised-cut diamond?

My dad owns 2 UK wide engineering companies. I spent a huge part of my childhood travelling around the world for holidays so I prefer to make amazing memories rather than to buy expensive material possessions.

haha yeah that would be my preference right now haha but that could always change in the future. I haven't even found a man to buy the ring yet lol so my preferences have time to mature
My dad owns 2 UK wide engineering companies. I spent a huge part of my childhood travelling around the world for holidays so I prefer to make amazing memories rather than to buy expensive material possessions.

haha yeah that would be my preference right now haha but that could always change in the future. I haven't even found a man to buy the ring yet lol so my preferences have time to mature

Which companies are those? My step-dad is looking for a job in graphical engineering (He designs parts for machines), and I could point him in the direction of that company :P Imagine... My step-father is an employee of your dad's xD Would be cool, I think.

Well, what kind of man do you want? I'm sure there will be one somewhere. You just have to find him somewhere :P You never know, he could be loitering around here on TSR
Which companies are those? My step-dad is looking for a job in graphical engineering (He designs parts for machines), and I could point him in the direction of that company :P Imagine... My step-father is an employee of your dad's xD Would be cool, I think.

Well, what kind of man do you want? I'm sure there will be one somewhere. You just have to find him somewhere :P You never know, he could be loitering around here on TSR

My dad's companies are in transportation engineering haha so unfortunately they are different types of engineering.

I am not fussy about guys (or at least I think I am not fussy..).

I just want someone who is hardworking, educated, kind and appreciates the same things in life that i value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending