The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths 6th June 2016 Official Thread

6th June 2016 - OCR FSMQ Additional Maths Exam
I hope that this thread will be helpful for anybody who's taking Additional Maths this year. I've posted up some resources, but feel free to message me about any other resources I could include, as well as using this thread to help each other on different topics in Additional Maths.

Specification:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/76669-specification.pdf

Past Papers:
http://www.mei.org.uk/ampapers

Useful Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc0vbNreenQ8MyPS9QZo8sPogVlyBP6yD (He goes through all of the past paper questions)

Other Resources:
http://integralmaths.org/course/view.php?id=67

If you need help with any topics, don't hesitate to post any questions here, and hopefully someone on this thread will be able to help you!

Unofficial Mark Scheme
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6msukvtn5h5yn7q/AADt2tOPb0Mps7Vf4t5QJpRea?dl=0
Original post by Reesharr
Edit: I've noticed one small error: In Q.3, the x = 233.1° answer is in the third quadrant, not the first. Comes from copying and pasting from the line above and changng the values!On student questions about follow-through (f/t) errors: Generally you can collect M1 marks even if you slip-up earlier in your workings. A1s are for accuracy so you can't get those, and B1s tend to be similar for intermediate values. So, for example, the first mark in Q.1 is a B1 because you can't expect to get a mark for expanding a bracket wrongly!

(Thanks to @Reesharr for the mark scheme)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ah, thanks for this! I'm taking it a couple of years early so I need all the help I can get, really.
Original post by BriannaTheBreeze
Ah, thanks for this! I'm taking it a couple of years early so I need all the help I can get, really.

No problem! Do you think you're ready for the exam?
Reply 3
I'm doing this exam!
Original post by TheOtherSide.
No problem! Do you think you're ready for the exam?

I think I'm pretty much okay, but I need to brush up on a couple of topics before I'll feel really comfortable about doing the exam. I got a B on the mock I did in December, so I'm pretty sure I can get up to an A by the time of the exam. I essentially have to get an A: there's no point in doing it early if you get anything less! What about you? :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
I'm doing this exam!

:five:

How are you finding revision for it?
Original post by kennethdcharles
I'm doing this exam!
Awesome! How do you feel about it currently?
I think I'm pretty much okay, but I need to brush up on a couple of topics before I'll feel really comfortable about doing the exam. I got a B on the mock I did in December, so I'm pretty sure I can get up to an A by the time of the exam. I essentially have to get an A: there's no point in doing it early if you get anything less! What about you? :smile:

Congrats on that great mock result! If you put the effort in, you should definitely get that A. Yep, I agree - I suppose that's why schools are making all exams linear, and making us take GCSEs at the end of year 11.

Well, our school started teaching us Additional Maths this January, so yeah, I'm not the most prepared for it at the moment (we haven't even covered all of the topics yet). I'm hoping that this thread will prepare me more for that exam since I'm aiming for an A.
Congrats on that great mock result! If you put the effort in, you should definitely get that A. Yep, I agree - I suppose that's why schools are making all exams linear, and making us take GCSEs at the end of year 11.

Well, our school started teaching us Additional Maths this January, so yeah, I'm not the most prepared for it at the moment (we haven't even covered all of the topics yet). I'm hoping that this thread will prepare me more for that exam since I'm aiming for an A.

Wow, that seems like quite short notice but I'm sure it's enough time if you put the work in. The key- for me at least- in revising for maths is: 1) to look at proofs as it helps you to understand the material more and 2) to do past papers, look at what you got wrong, revise those areas and then try again.

Which topic areas do you find the most challenging?

Sending you support vibes all the way :smile:
Wow, that seems like quite short notice but I'm sure it's enough time if you put the work in. The key- for me at least- in revising for maths is: 1) to look at proofs as it helps you to understand the material more and 2) to do past papers, look at what you got wrong, revise those areas and then try again.

Which topic areas do you find the most challenging?

Sending you support vibes all the way :smile:

Seeing as I've got 10 other subjects to revise for as well, I don't know how I'll fit revision for the FSMQ in, but yep, I'll aim to do past papers when I have the time. Uh, we haven't finished all of the topics yet and I don't know if there's a specific area I need help with, but I think I'll be doing more work on algebra now, since that's the only one we've fully covered.

Thank you! I hope your exam goes well too.
Seeing as I've got 10 other subjects to revise for as well, I don't know how I'll fit revision for the FSMQ in, but yep, I'll aim to do past papers when I have the time. Uh, we haven't finished all of the topics yet and I don't know if there's a specific area I need help with, but I think I'll be doing more work on algebra now, since that's the only one we've fully covered.

Thank you! I hope your exam goes well too.

Ooh, what other subjects are you doing?
Ooh, what other subjects are you doing?

Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Triple Science, French, German, Music and History.
I'm sitting this exam in June - and I hate kinematics :frown:
Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Triple Science, French, German, Music and History.

Nice :smile: Which is your favourite?
Original post by yepthatsme
I'm sitting this exam in June - and I hate kinematics :frown:

Same. Probably going to have to spend most of my time practising it as well, ugh
:frown:
I'm doing the exam this year :smile: It clashes with Economics so I'm definitely looking forward to staying in school until about 4

I'm feeling pretty prepared, we've being doing loads of past papers and I've gotten As on all of them. We did start the course in June last year so I probably have more preparation than most atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
I'm doing the exam this year :smile: It clashes with Economics so I'm definitely looking forward to staying in school until about 4

I'm feeling pretty prepared, we've being doing loads of past papers and I've gotten As on all of them. We did start the course in June last year so I probably have more preparation than most atm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh IKR, it clashes with economics (which is, too, going to be one of my hardest exams). It's gonna be a looong day with History in the morning (2 hours!) SAVE ME

I also hate 3D trigonometry, although I understand what to do, I never execute it without like 2947483 mini mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yepthatsme
Ugh IKR, it clashes with economics (which is, too, going to be one of my hardest exams). It's gonna be a looong day with History in the morning (2 hours!) SAVE ME

I also hate 3D trigonometry, although I understand what to do, I never execute it without like 2947483 mini mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I have history that morning too, are you on Edexcel? Got the beautiful international relations paper (Cold War)

3D trig used to be my favourite until the weird questions admaths has
Reply 18
:five:

How are you finding revision for it?

I'm just doing loads of past paper questions etc. What about you?
Reply 19
Awesome! How do you feel about it currently?

It's been alright to be honest. The only thing I found slightly difficult was trig, otherwise everything else was cool. Wbu?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending