The Student Room Group

Sheffied or Swansea University for Chemical engineering.

I want to make a choice between Sheffield and Swansea for my firm choice but i'm confused on which one to go for.

Thanks for any opinion.
Reply 1
Original post by 09josejoel
I want to make a choice between Sheffield and Swansea for my firm choice but i'm confused on which one to go for.

Thanks for any opinion.

Sheffield

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a damn good question and I go to one of those unis so I should be a bit biased haha

Both have undergone massive and recent investments into their engineering departments, Swansea's been climbing up the rankings and both should go up over the next couple of years. They both also seem to be great for extracurriculars and societies too.

I'd say Sheffield is overall slightly better due to the larger, more connected city and the university being overall more established with a very strong international and industry reputation and an official undergraduate research scheme. It also will have a pilot plant by the time you start which will be good for your course..
Original post by Helloworld_95
That's a damn good question and I go to one of those unis so I should be a bit biased haha

Both have undergone massive and recent investments into their engineering departments, Swansea's been climbing up the rankings and both should go up over the next couple of years. They both also seem to be great for extracurriculars and societies too.

I'd say Sheffield is overall slightly better due to the larger, more connected city and the university being overall more established with a very strong international and industry reputation and an official undergraduate research scheme. It also will have a pilot plant by the time you start which will be good for your course..

Hi Helloworld_95,

you seem very well informed about the engineering subjects. Do you recommend me Swansea or Loughborough for materials science? Which one is better for career prospects, in your opinion? I want to do a MSc course.

Thanks, bye
Original post by kundalini82
Hi Helloworld_95,

you seem very well informed about the engineering subjects. Do you recommend me Swansea or Loughborough for materials science? Which one is better for career prospects, in your opinion? I want to do a MSc course.

Thanks, bye

An MSc or an MEng?

I don't know much about where is considered best for Materials science research so can't really comment about the MSc, but for the MEng I'd go to Swansea, they're on par at the moment in the rankings but Swansea is still rising and Loughborough sounds like a depressing place.
An MSc or an MEng?

I don't know much about where is considered best for Materials science research so can't really comment about the MSc, but for the MEng I'd go to Swansea, they're on par at the moment in the rankings but Swansea is still rising and Loughborough sounds like a depressing place.

Yeah, a MSc, a postgraduate course.
Why is Loughborough depressing?
Original post by kundalini82
Yeah, a MSc, a postgraduate course.
Why is Loughborough depressing?

I've heard it described as feeling like a prison, it also sounds like people who don't do sports don't fit in too well.
I've heard it described as feeling like a prison, it also sounds like people who don't do sports don't fit in too well.

What I am afraid of Bay Campus is the accommodation, because you are distant from the city centre. There are halls on-campus, but maybe they are mainly for freshers and I'd like to find someone suitable for postgraduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending