The Student Room Group

Google maps help!!!

Hello,

So for a project I am currently doing, I need to input the scale onto the screenshot's I take of "Google Maps". So right now I am zoomed out of the UK to show a national map and at the bottom is says 50km (next to a scale bar) what does this 50km scale represent? If I dont put the scale in, I lose alot of marks but I dont get it. What does the 5km represent :frown:
Original post by Oblivion99
Hello,

So for a project I am currently doing, I need to input the scale onto the screenshot's I take of "Google Maps". So right now I am zoomed out of the UK to show a national map and at the bottom is says 50km (next to a scale bar) what does this 50km scale represent? If I dont put the scale in, I lose alot of marks but I dont get it. What does the 5km represent :frown:

The length indicated by the bar is 50km in real terms. :yes:.
Reply 2
Original post by Neostigmine
The length indicated by the bar is 50km in real terms. :yes:.

So the scale is 50km? Because my teacher said that wasn't the scale and I could lose upto 5 marks on my project :frown:
So the scale is 50km? Because my teacher said that wasn't the scale and I could lose upto 5 marks on my project :frown:

Can you post a screen shot? The scale changes on GM and it would be easier if you could show us :yes:.

That is definitely the scale, tell him he's retarded.
Reply 5
Can you post a screen shot? The scale changes on GM and it would be easier if you could show us :yes:.

How do I place the screenshot onto her? I dont have paint. Ill screenshot it into word and put it on as a file? Is that okay, thank you for replying.
How do I place the screenshot onto her? I dont have paint. Ill screenshot it into word and put it on as a file? Is that okay, thank you for replying.

That's fie.
Reply 7
That's fie.

Here you go, sorry for the wait, the file was too large so I had to compress it to correlate with upload restrictions from tsr.
Here you go, sorry for the wait, the file was too large so I had to compress it to correlate with upload restrictions from tsr.

That is absolutely 100% the scale. Put it against a known distance to compare. :yes:.
Reply 9
That is absolutely 100% the scale. Put it against a known distance to compare. :yes:.

So I write "The scale is 50km"? Thank you so much for helping
So I write "The scale is 50km"? Thank you so much for helping

You need to put the scale is 50km PER x. Not just "50km".

Maybe this is what your teacher meant by the scale not being just "50km3.
You need to put the scale is 50km PER x. Not just "50km".

Maybe this is what your teacher meant by the scale not being just "50km3.

Do you know what the PER x is lol. I honestly dont know and Im so confused
Do you know what the PER x is lol. I honestly dont know and Im so confused

The scale says that the map has been shrunk and now (for example) 1cm is equal to 1 mile in real life.

For you to write the scale, you need to say that x distance measured on your shrunk version, is equal to y miles in real life.

You need to work out the length that google is using to represent 50km - is the length of the scale marker ( looks like this ] on it's side).
Original post by mattismad
That is definitely the scale, tell him he's retarded.

I have the same problem please help ive uploaded a google maps file onto this which shows u the scale bare when it says 50km but what is 50km:x scale to?
The scale says that the map has been shrunk and now (for example) 1cm is equal to 1 mile in real life.

For you to write the scale, you need to say that x distance measured on your shrunk version, is equal to y miles in real life.

You need to work out the length that google is using to represent 50km - is the length of the scale marker ( looks like this ] on it's side).

So i need to measure the scale bar? Thank you, its less confusing now. Honestly, thank you and sorry for nagging you!

Quick Reply

Latest