The Student Room Group

Re-applying to Cambridge while in other university?

Having applied to Natural Sciences for the 2016 entry and got rejected post-interview, I still cannot easily give up my dream of studying in Cambridge as its academic atmosphere and environment just caught my heart.

Now I am thinking of taking a gap year and re-apply to Cambridge for the 2017 entry.Since I heard from some current Cambridge students that being a re-applicant will compromise one's chance of getting accepted, is it true that re-application will be a disadvantage?

Btw, I am also considering going to other university for the first year and re-apply to Cambridge for 2017 undergraduate entry in the next application cycle. Is it possible to apply to Cambridge while studying in other university? If yes, are there any special rules for applicant like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucus450
Having applied to Natural Sciences for the 2016 entry and got rejected post-interview, I still cannot easily give up my dream of studying in Cambridge as its academic atmosphere and environment just caught my heart.

Now I am thinking of taking a gap year and re-apply to Cambridge for the 2017 entry.Since I heard from some current Cambridge students that being a re-applicant will compromise one's chance of getting accepted, is it true that re-application will be a disadvantage?

Btw, I am also considering going to other university for the first year and re-apply to Cambridge for 2017 undergraduate entry in the next application cycle. Is it possible to apply to Cambridge while studying in other university? If yes, are there any special rules for applicant like this?

Re-applying probably won't put you at a disadvantage, and is certainly worth considering if you exceed the standard offer with your A-level results. It is generally advised to apply to a different college to your original one.

Re-applying while studying in another university probably would disadvantage you, as Cambridge don't like stealing students from other universities. You would need a good reason for wanting to transfer beyond "Cambridge is nice".

It's also worth remembering that Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all. If you got an interview from Cambridge, you probably have offers from other very good universities, which you shouldn't turn down lightly, especially if you don't have any good plans for the gap year you would take.
Reapplying while being at another university is impossible as far as I know.
Reply 3

Gap year applicants can be successful. No disadvantage at all, but depending on your feedback its usually best to apply to a different college.

And you can't apply to Cambridge holding a place or attending another uni.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq
Original post by Revenants
Reapplying while being at another university is impossible as far as I know.

nah i did it - was at nottingham doing economics and reapplied to warwick, got an offer and so then dropped out of notts.
Reply 5
Original post by sweeneyrod
Re-applying probably won't put you at a disadvantage, and is certainly worth considering if you exceed the standard offer with your A-level results. It is generally advised to apply to a different college to your original one.

Re-applying while studying in another university probably would disadvantage you, as Cambridge don't like stealing students from other universities. You would need a good reason for wanting to transfer beyond "Cambridge is nice".

It's also worth remembering that Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all. If you got an interview from Cambridge, you probably have offers from other very good universities, which you shouldn't turn down lightly, especially if you don't have any good plans for the gap year you would take.

If I re-apply and get an interview, would they expect me to perform better than other normal A-level applicants?
Reply 6
If I re-apply and get an interview, would they expect me to perform better than other normal A-level applicants?

Yes.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Gap year applicants can be successful. No disadvantage at all, but depending on your feedback its usually best to apply to a different college.

And you can't apply to Cambridge holding a place or attending another uni.

I asked for feedback from them by email in January, and still haven't heard a word by now......Btw, due to the A-level reform, some students are not taking AS. Do they calculate re-applicant's UMS as before?
Original post by tazza ma razza
nah i did it - was at nottingham doing economics and reapplied to warwick, got an offer and so then dropped out of notts.

But Nottingham is not Cambridge. I believe CU has a special rule regarding reapplying, might be worth checking.
Reply 9
I asked for feedback from them by email in January, and still haven't heard a word by now......Btw, due to the A-level reform, some students are not taking AS. Do they calculate re-applicant's UMS as before?

UMS will be considered if it is available. Linear AS and A-Levels won't have UMS but will have raw marks. Cambridge hasn't announced yet if they will collect raw marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! So I missed the Oxbridge application deadline in this ucas cycle, and I'm probably going to attend a uni first and apply to cam for 2017 entry. I know cam doesn't like 'stealing' people from other unis but I will send in my application right before the school opens in October. In this case, I'm just not sure whether I should declare my current uni on ucas as I haven't really started studying there by that time. If I have to, is it very likely that I would get rejected even before the interview? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza

It is probably best to read and understand the OP before giving advice.

Original post by cracker96
In this case, I'm just not sure whether I should declare my current uni on ucas

Of course you must (the UCAS system and universities require the utmost integrity in applications) and, unless you have an overwhelming reason (like your parents died and you now find yourself having to live in Cambridge city centre to look after your siblings) they will decline to take your application further.
If you're committed about going to Cam, and you feel that you'll meet the grades/ums - have you considered taking a gap year? I don't see the point of potentially wasting money at another uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by cracker96
Hey guys! So I missed the Oxbridge application deadline in this ucas cycle, and I'm probably going to attend a uni first and apply to cam for 2017 entry. I know cam doesn't like 'stealing' people from other unis but I will send in my application right before the school opens in October. In this case, I'm just not sure whether I should declare my current uni on ucas as I haven't really started studying there by that time. If I have to, is it very likely that I would get rejected even before the interview? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was rejected post-interview as well, and I'm reapplying for 2017 while at another university! What I would advise is emailing all of the colleges and see what their stance is on applying while in another university - I would tell you which colleges said they would accept an application from me, but my circumstance is slightly unusual because I'm from overseas. You wouldn't necessarily be held to a higher standard though (but maybe try to prepare for the interview/test extra vigorously, just in case :tongue:).
Reply 14
Original post by Florescence
I was rejected post-interview as well, and I'm reapplying for 2017 while at another university! What I would advise is emailing all of the colleges and see what their stance is on applying while in another university - I would tell you which colleges said they would accept an application from me, but my circumstance is slightly unusual because I'm from overseas. You wouldn't necessarily be held to a higher standard though (but maybe try to prepare for the interview/test extra vigorously, just in case :tongue:).

Are you re-applying while at another UK university?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Some colleges don't allow it Fitzwilliam for instance.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing . . .
Reply 17
Original post by Dalai Llama
I'm thinking of doing the same thing . . .

It is not encouraged.

Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.We do have a system of admitting graduates from other universities to do a second undergraduate degree as an affiliated student at Cambridge, in which case the course takes a year less than usual.
Original post by jneill
It is not encouraged.

Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.We do have a system of admitting graduates from other universities to do a second undergraduate degree as an affiliated student at Cambridge, in which case the course takes a year less than usual.

Oh, okay. Thank you very much.
Original post by jneill
Are you re-applying while at another UK university?

Haha no I'm not, I'm at university in my home country (Australia).
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending