The Student Room Group

Animals have rights too

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whorace
Speak for yourself, i'd take the cow.

Lol yeah I'm asking the vegans who are saying animal life = human, not meat eaters who are looking for a cheap laugh.

AoP said exactly the same but deleted his comment. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Original post by Ethereal World
Lol yeah I'm asking the vegans who are saying animal life = human, not meat eaters who are looking for a cheap laugh.

AoP said exactly the same but deleted his comment. :rolleyes:

Yeah but i'm not joking
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
That would be a valid argument if humans needed to eat meat.

'No matter how important...'
Original post by whorace
Yeah but i'm not joking

Okay Putin.
Original post by AliRizzo
'No matter how important...'

Sorry? I don't understand
Reply 45
Okay Putin.

If you take the cow you can eat it on the way back.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Of course they are inherently inferior.

They are like automated robots with only one set of programming and that is pure instinct.

Well in terms of any species approach to life other species should be considered technically inferior as a necessity to propagation.

Personally I believe that humans are superior to other animal - we are capable of much more sophisticated abstract and moral reasoning than any other species on the planet. But that's exactly why we shouldn't eat meat - we have the knowledge and the judgement to determine the consequences of our actions and act accordingly, where other animals don't. Our precedence comes with responsibility, not extra rights.
I personally believe that all sentient life is equal.
Sorry? I don't understand

Humans will always eat meat regardless of whether it's a necessity or not. Therefore, human needs will always take precedence. What they want, they get, especially if it's at the expense of other animals. Not saying I agree with it 100% but that's how it is and always will be.

Until we get dominated by a superior species that is.
Original post by whorace
If you take the cow you can eat it on the way back.

True dat. You seen the revenant ?
Chicken wings are amazing. Garpar, Buffalo, blue cheese. I made a road trip to Edinburgh just specifically so I could have wings from Wings.

Original post by Jenx301
no I will not fight... and can you guess why?

becauseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........

Spoiler

You do know I'm vegan right.

I agree with what you are saying but I disagree with how vegans attempt to make meat eaters have some sort of lightbulb moment by telling them animals are equal to humans when quite simply they are not.

Incorrectly approaching meat eaters like this is a direct antagonist to the vision and premise of veganism.

We are all animals produced by natural selection. That's it. There are similarities and differences. Compared to the mythology surrounding human uniqueness most people still do or used to all believe, which is where the Christian scancity of human life comes from, are thoroughly debunked by Darwinian biology. We are more equal than are gut instincts and creation myths lead us to believe. Everything literately comes from the same group of chemicals. No gods made us. We come from the same stuff as a Cow.

Humans are capable of being rational and finding things out. We are unique in human terms since the advent of Darwin, unlike most humans that have ever existed we have a pretty good idea of what we are and where we have come from. We are capable of seeing past our biologically programmed instincts to get to a higher level of logical understanding based on empirical evidence.

If you bring a machete to a cow's hide and to a humans back they are both going to be in excruciating physical pain regardless of the species divide.

Say another species of Ape existed and lived like we did as hunter gatherers. They have culture, some kind of language, and complex social relations. (Scientists may have found chimps practising religion https://www.newscientist.com/article/2080038-what-do-chimp-temples-tell-us-about-the-evolution-of-religion/)

If given the choice between killing a mother with dependents from that species and a human that say had committed genocide. I choose the human to kill. To be honest I'd choose killing someone like Ratko Mladic over killing a cow... So there are obviously values I place higher than strict species divide. There are instances where killing a human is better than killing another animal. Sanctity of human life goes down the toilet from then onwards and I start to look at creatures like Dolphins, which are highly intelligent, as being akin to primitive humans. Just because they don't have thumbs and have not built a civilisation does not mean they do not suffer or are not highly sentient. Just because we have silicon based computers does not mean we are still not the same homo sapians that made cave drawings.

We already do this in our science fiction like Star Trek. The different species are treated as occupying the same plane of existence as us based on their sentience and similarity to us. That's the idea that what matters isn't species divide, rather level of sentience, emotional intelligence and other such factors escaping through. Often it's more a crude analogy of the differences between humans now such as
ethnicity and nationality etc, but the point still stands. The fact we portray differences in intelligent species in Sci-Fi like Star Trek being more like the differences between humans based on nationality and culture back in reality probably goes some way to show we already think like this to some degree. Or that we are all uber racists and nationalistic and equate foreigners as being a different species :tongue: Either way that shows that our superstitious understanding of how species divide dictates how we treat other living things is based on a human prejudice more than anything even if that prejudice is put there for natural section reasons.

What if the racists of the 1800s were right? That black people are a different race. Would that have justified how they were treated?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Blondie987
Hey!!!

Sorry

Spoiler

Reply 52
Lol I can't believe you call me and eternal both ethernal. :rofl:

Thanks to you that is now our couple name :yep:

I used to think both of you were the same person. :colondollar:
Original post by gg9322
I used to think both of you were the same person. :colondollar:

We basically are. But we are separate physical entities.
Reply 54
Agree with some aspects and I'm a vegan for DOI l but I have to disagree with you on the last bit- animals are an inferior species to humans. If you had a cow or human at gunpoint and you could choose to actively save one or push a button and leave it to chance what would you do?

I completely disagree with animals being inferior.

I would save the cow.

Spoiler

Reply 55
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Of course they are inherently inferior.

They are like automated robots with only one set of programming and that is pure instinct.

This statement could not be more stupid if you tried.
Humans will always eat meat regardless of whether it's a necessity or not. Therefore, human needs will always take precedence. What they want, they get, especially if it's at the expense of other animals. Not saying I agree with it 100% but that's how it is and always will be.

Some people will, just like some people will always be racist, but the number of people eating meat can (and will) go down dramatically over the next hundred years, and a few people refusing to accept change isn't a reason not to change.
Reply 57
Original post by whorace
Speak for yourself, i'd take the cow.

You a blood eating monster thats why
Reply 58

Not if I can do anything about.

I plan to change the whole world and system within the next 30 years. I either go down in history as a hero or a monster. It will depend if I win the war or not.
A pig was born to be bacon tho?

Quick Reply

Latest