The Student Room Group

Why don't people vape instead of smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
Ah right, half decent then. Just wanted to ask because I've seen smokers who've used cheap stick vapes and been put off by those.

I use a Sigelei 75w, with a Nautilus Mini tank. Dunno if it's top notch, I just took someone else's word for it tbh.

That's a reasonably good setup, powerful enough to feel the vape, yet not as huge as one of those DNA mods that turn people into walking fog machines and look like laptop power bricks.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Damn you, woman. That was not fair!

Spoiler

Original post by whorace
Both. This is how smoking has been marketed for a century, it might surprise you to find out the first anti-smoking campaign was led by none other than Nazi Germany. I'm not saying health effects are not serious, but in a free country people should be able to do unhealthy things (and they do a lot worse than smoking, when's the last time you ate fast food?)

Pleasure is more important than health, being healthy for no reason is like keeping a fridge for 5 years longer than usual and celebrating even though you haven't put anything in it.

Such strange logic and that is coming from a hedonist. (2nd paragraph)
Since I have been summoned I shall share.

I still smoke cigarettes from time to time even though I normally vape. Smoking has a certain charm to it which if you have never smoked you will not understand. I only really smoke when I either go out drinking as it was an old habit or when I am in France also an old habit which I find very therapeutic. The odd one or two now then isn't a problem.

The main reason many do not switch is because of the unknown, most people don't like change and smokers don't like to change their habit. Also vaping can be a bit of nuisance at times because you can't just pop into any news agent and pick up more liquid or an extra battery.
I use a Sigelei 75w, with a Nautilus Mini tank. Dunno if it's top notch, I just took someone else's word for it tbh.

What is the capacity on the mini? I use the standard Nautilus.
cohiba and bolivars are greater so i'll stick with those
Reply 26
wth is vape?
Original post by DiddyDec
What is the capacity on the mini? I use the standard Nautilus.

5ml.

I have an Uwell Crown tank also but prefer the tightness of the mini if that makes sense.
Original post by whorace
Believe it or not health risks are part of what makes smoking associated with masculinity and power, men take risks, don't need approval from others and keep calm under pressure, nicotine addiction will reverse the benefits but if used wisely it's nowhere near as bad as the smoking is doom brigade think.

Smoking is about the least "masculine" risk you can take though. There are a million studies showing a human propensity to disregard consequences and rewards the further they're pushed into the future. Smoking is about as brave as arranging a date to fight a really tough guy in 2065.
5ml.

I have an Uwell Crown tank also but prefer the tightness of the mini if that makes sense.

Nautilus mini is 2ml :s-smilie:
Original post by Lady Comstock
I don't get why I still see people smoke normal cigarettes instead of vape:

- It's much less dangerous to health to you and those around you.
- It doesn't stink out you and everyone around you.
- It seems to be cheaper.
- It doesn't have the stigma/unattractiveness of being seen smoking.
- Apparently you get the same, or similar, sensation/nicotine fix.

It wont matter soon because most of these benefits will become redundant when the EU implements its new punitive money raking taxes on vaping goods and businesses to the same level as Tobacco.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/02/e-cigarettes-raised-by-brexit-campaign-with-eu-taxes-set-to-be-raised

Amazes me that its even a debate to stay in this disgusting undemocratic punitive union
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a noble chance
Thought this said 'Why don't people rape instead of smoke' and detected a slight imbalance of priorities

The difference is surely psychological. Vaping doesn't satisfy the psychological addiction of smoking for many people and the psychological addiction is the most powerful

I also feel the need to point out that nicotine is not the physically addictive element of cigarettes. Nicotine is not itself very addictive at all.

lol wut??
Original post by 0123456543210
No it doesn't, I both smoke and vape (only when I can't smoke, though), vaping doesn't feel half as good as smoking does. Cost, smell etc. are beside the point when you don't get the same feeling.

Im pretty sure you are doing it wrong. Take time to learn what you need, try different things. I was a 20 a day smoker for 4 years and vaping has easily replaced smoking
I think vaping has more of a stigma than regular smoking.
Reply 34
Vaping is pretty expensive where I live. A pack of fags would cost about 1.50 GBP whereas a nice vapestick (don't know what they're called lol) costs about 30.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Vaping is pretty expensive where I live. A pack of fags would cost about 1.50 GDP whereas a nice vapestick (don't know what they're called lol) costs about 30.

Never thought that the Gross Domestic Product could be so low.
Reply 36
Original post by 0123456543210
Never thought that the Gross Domestic Product could be so low.

Damn autocorrect, I meant GBP :colondollar:
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Damn autocorrect, I meant GBP :colondollar:

But, yeah- in the UK where a pack of 20 cigs cost over £7, vaping seems like a good value for the money.
Reply 38
Vaping leaves you with a heavy feeling in your lungs as if you had some mucus built up in your throat. Plus it makes you cough. You are basically inhaling glycerine, so I'm not surprised. Every vaper who I have spoken to had the same effects, so I don't think it's just me. Sure it's cheaper, but the 'side-effects' are not worth it.

Also, consider that a lot of smokers actually enjoy the taste of tobacco which absolutely cannot be substituted by a fake tobacco e-liquid.
Reply 39
it releases ionising waves/radiation and is quite dangerous in the long run

Quick Reply

Latest