The Student Room Group

Interview Westminster University BA Film

Hi,
I have an interview at Westminster Uni (Harrow Campus) on the 24th of February. I just received the email with the instructions and so I have a few questions !
First of all they ask for "a portfolio of your film / video work, on an authored DVD with a menu (not a computer file)" ... I don't know what that is, how can I make one of those ?
also they ask for an academic essay, as a French student, my French essays are better than my English ones, should I translate one, bring both ?
The date is appoaching and I am getting more and more nervous, has anyone done an interview at Westminster ? (For Film BA maybe ?)
Thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! I've just received an email telling me I'm invited for for an interview, too. I'm very nervous about the questions they'll ask me and about that academic essay. Can you tell how did yours go? Thanks in advance ( :
Reply 2
Hi MAggie! Well done for your interview, I hope you'll do well.
So about my interview, as i arrived early, I sat with students waiting for their own interview. Sharing your nervs with other people as nervous as you are is quite distressing ! :smile:
Once I met the teacher and we sat at his desk, I knew that this interview wasn't at all going to be stressful. I'd say it is more a conversation about yourself than an "interview". I guess all the teachers are as nice, but for me, the 45 mn went flowing. He asked about a few things concerning my perso statement, my press club, why I wanted to do cinema and what interested me within the subject (cinematography, producing, editing etc...), and other quite basic questions about me. Then we looked at my portfolio, we had time to look at some of my photos and watch 2 videos. Don't hesitate to explain the process of your work (why this shot or compostion for your photo) and even to criticize it, soflty of course, but you can say things like "well maybe here I would have focused on the character more than on the setting" etc..
As for what I was wearing: jeans, shirt, normal shoes. I went as I usually dress, I thnik there is no need to "over dress" be yourself :yy::yy:
Finally I got a conditional offer ! So I guess it went well :smile: :smile:

I hope this will help you
Good Luck !!

Ps: are you french ?
Reply 3
For the academic essay, i translated one of my french philosophy essays and also brought an english one (literature, about Shakespeare)
He was impressed about the fact that I translated one, so if you are french do so ! It will show your motivation
Reply 4
Original post by MatildaVdl
For the academic essay, i translated one of my french philosophy essays and also brought an english one (literature, about Shakespeare)
He was impressed about the fact that I translated one, so if you are french do so ! It will show your motivation

Hi, I'm going to apply for Film BA and I was wondering if you could spare the time to answer some of my questions, considering as you got in (well DONE!)
1) Did you have your professor's signature on your essays? I mean the conditions requirement say "marked" essays and I wonder if those were marked as well (I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, I really don't know how this works)
2) What was the theme of your essay? I'm considering sending in a literature essay, I was wondering if that might work...
3) Did you have to send in the essay before the interview or did you only show one to the teacher you were talking to and hadn't sent them any essays before that?

If you do manage to answer, I will be eternally grateful <3
PS I'm from Russia, but I speak fluent French ^_^
Hi Manya! So about this marked essay, it's just an essay that you've been marked on, so if you got A or B (or 14/20 for example, there are different ways to mark an essay, depending on the country). I brought a philosophy essay that I translated myself. We didn't go through it really, but I remember he was impressed I made an effort to translate the whole thing. I didn't send it before. I just brought the essay along with my portfolio. I hope you get a place at Westminster ! (To reassure you I got a place so I guess I did the write thing) Don't hesitate to ask something else Matilda Vidal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending