The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Ergo, you’ll dress however I desire, and you’ll observe the rationality of, and value in, my position :smile:

:lolwut:
Original post by queen-bee
Depends how religious you are I guess.

Where have I said Arabs are a skin colour? And who here is painting the UK to be racist? We are talking about this individual case and these individual students making a mockery. I don't know what victim complex you're talking about,I have white friends,I'm mostly white myself,they've never tried to appropriate my middle eastern culture.

Who has said the whole of society is racist? We are talking about this particular issue. Again,you seem to be confusing race with religion. I'm an Arab,a Christian Arab but do I hate atheists? Nope. Do my Syrian family hate atheists? Nope. Do my Middle eastern friends hate atheists? Nope. I think you're confusing this whole story alittle. Nobody is talking about the UK as a whole. We are talking about this individual case right now,so for you to try and brand all Arabs as atheist hating is abit confusing to me.

Most of our culture is the same. That's what unites us as Arab. The language and culture,sure we have changes and differences here and there but we are mostly the same,so yes it does represent Arabs unless you specify which country in the Arab world.

I know he's a very nice guy but he's not my role model,so I don't care who he decides to invite to his palace. Yeah he did it in a jokey way but that doesn't give the other guy the right to mock Jordanian culture because he probably doesn't know the history of said culture m. Why can't people just stop with the need to feel like they have to mock this and that in the name of having fun and 'satire'. Russell peters shouldn't be mocking our culture in the first place. People take pride in their culture,it what brings them closer,so yes I'm sorry if people are easily offended.

I'm not against comedy,satire but intentional mockery of a minority people/majority,especially where the mocker knows nothing about said culture is disgusting if you ask me.

It's not a racist comment as I wasn't talking about a particular race,re read

'That's the thing. The majority of the time,outsiders who are culturally appropriating another person's culture are uneducated about that particular culture and its history.'

That goes for everyone. We aren't just talking about Arabs in particular,even the Arabs you mentioned. Mockery of any culture is unacceptable. And yes most of the time people genuinely have no clue about the history of said culture but they appropriate it for fun and games

Also, I don't think its fair to say that people who wear dresses from otger culture is "intentionally" doing this. The whole point about "cultural appropriation" and "micro aggression" outrage is that it's supposed to be unintentional subliminal bigotry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemting
Err its not as black and white as that?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_people

If according to "some recent genetic studies" Jews "have some common ancestry" with Arabs it doesn't mean that Jews are Arabs. In your source Jews are called Jews and Arabs are called Arabs. Thanks.
Original post by admonit
And both are human beings. Still Arabs are Arabs and Jews are Jews.

Arab Jews are (in fact were and then were successfully expelled) Jews living in Arab countries. If a person identifies himself as an Arab he is an Arab.

Arab Jews still exist. They are Arabs who practice Judaism. They do not identify as Israelis but rather Arabs and anyway there's a lot more to it.
Original post by chemting
I don't think you understand the history and origin of this "cultural appropriation movement", and how it became a thing. But that's a long story. I have to reiterate again that I've never tried to brand all Arabs as atheist hating (I've specifically said that is not the case). I used this as an example, to show that Arabs criticise non-Arab "culture" as well. I think they have the right to do that

But do you think "Arab culture", much like every other culture, don't have any negative aspects... and if they do, do you think they shouldn't be highlighted through satire?

I don't see how a non-Arab wearing an "Arab dress" is offensive (or appropriating their culture) - specially as not all Arabs wear them.

I don't think he's anybody's "role model", my point is he clearly enjoys Peters' work (as do many Arabs), what right do you have to say he shouldn't satirise Arabs?

I understand intentional bigotry, but how is comedy not "intentional mocking", are comedians accidentally making fun?

I used it as an example, specially considering what this "cultural appropriation movement" entails.

'

What's "appropriating"? Me eating Arab food and commenting on it is appropriating? No outsiders can ever comment or do anything on "culture" that's not theirs?

Even people who mock their own culture (including Arabs)?

I haven't said they don't. But actions speak louder than words,surely?

Of course they do,just like any other culture and constructive criticism is welcome,not something that infuriates members of another culture. I don't see cultural appropriation solves anything.

True not all Arabs wear the but the point people are trying to make is that minorities are ridiculed for wearing a certain garment from their culture,but when the majority group wear it they are suddenly praised and take all the credit for it? something along those lines,this is why people dislike cultural appropriation.

He shouldn't if he's doing it to incite hatred or violence against a particular group.

There's light comedy and then there's just outright being hateful.

Nope,you're free to eat ME food and comment on it,but to take credit for something that is not from your culture and passing it off as your own/making fun of it /ridiculing is what people are upset about.

how can one culturally appropriate their own culture? that doesn't even make sense. Do you know the definition of cultural appropriation?
Original post by Foo.mp3

You’re in danger of becoming part of the 'triggered' pariah brigade, peach. This is the living definition of the term ‘kill joy’

Yet you idolise Lawrence of Arabia, who was arguably the biggest, and certainly the most iconic, Arab ‘cultural appropriator’ in human history:mute:

So you’ve culturally appropriated North African culture and heritage yourself. Awkward :redface:

Who is an over-simplified/culturally insensitively romanticised/sexualised embodiment of Disney (white, Western) cultural appropriation :facepalm2:

Ok, so only fuglies/people out of the media spotlight are allowed to culturally appropriate? :lolwut:

That’s to do with the problem of misogynistic Arab culture, and nothing to do with appropriation

So people aren’t allowed to dress up in anything other than attire traditionally conceived of as emanating exclusively from the West, for fear of stimulating orientalist fetishes? This just gets more and more bizarre. Have you any filter on anything you are saying dear? :s-smilie:

Furthermore, lucky for me I am a dominant, commanding, and addictive neosexual, not to mention cogent and erudite; ergo, you’ll dress however I desire, not to mention observe the rationality of, and value in, my position et. argumentation :top2:

Then you don’t understand satire. In your world classic comedy like Monty Python would be outlawed. I don’t want to live in such a world, and neither does the vast majority of the rest of the free world, sorry

You still haven’t answered my question: why should culture get special protected status against replication, imitation, and satire?

if it means protecting minorities cultures from being exploited,then so be

Yes, Lawrence of Arabia was culturally appropriating Arab culture for sure,but was he intentionally mocking us? and I don't idolise him,I admire his character.

Sure,but I was only a teen back then and none the wiser about these issues. I would like to think of her as a middle eastern character,being based in north Africa :wink:

Princess jasmine is a princess of Arabia(As Disney depicts her) and the theme of the party was Arabian nights and I am an Arab,Therefore is it really cultural appropriation? I think not. I think the way they depict her character is distasteful and an insult to our culture,Frankly.
okay you say it's got to do with the Arab misogynistic culture thing(which i don't believe) but what about the whole calling foreign women from countries like the middle east or south America 'exotic'? racial fetishisation.

Nope. I haven't said that.

for Fear of accidentally or intentionally ridiculing or exploiting said culture. Nope,but this s what cultural appropriation is all about,no need for a filter,I know it seems so bizarre,I was like okay at first but then I understood what these people were trying to get at.

and If i choose to dress however i desire?:giggle::lolwut::zomg:

Nor do I want to Live in that world too :h:

That's not the case tho,is it?Because i don't think anything positive comes out from doing so?
I'm going to check out king's college London safe spaces and see what they're like. I'm glad my uni has safe spaces for vunerable students who have been affected by cultural appropriation

I find it very hard to take you seriously sometimes, QB. :facepalm:
Original post by Hydeman
I find it very hard to take your seriously sometimes, QB. :facepalm2:

wallah I'm serious. I want to find out why people feel the way they do? what's wrong with that
wallah I'm serious. I want to find out why people feel the way they do? what's wrong with that

Surely you can see why this whole 'cultural appropriation' thing is nonsense?
Original post by Hydeman
Surely you can see why this whole 'cultural appropriation' thing is nonsense?

At first yes but then i got to understand it abit more and realise why it's upsetting
At first yes but then i got to understand it abit more and realise why it's upsetting

And why does it matter that it's 'upsetting?' Assuming (wrongly), of course, that these people are upset not by choice but by a genuine, perceived injustice. Universities are not playgrounds, and anybody who wishes them to be ought to be told to take a break until they're ready to act like grown-ups.

Pray tell, I'm always interested in learning new things :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
And why does it matter that it's 'upsetting?' Assuming (wrongly), of course, that these people are upset not by choice but by a genuine, perceived injustice. Universities are not playgrounds, and anybody who wishes them to be ought to be told to take a break until they're ready to act like grown-ups.

Maybe that's the same question we should be asking the universities who have felt the need to create such 'safe spaces'?
Original post by zetamcfc
Pray tell, I'm always interested in learning new things :smile:

check out the entire thread, you'll get an understanding. in short exploitation of other people's culture,especially minority cultures by the majority culture
Maybe that's the same question we should be asking the universities who have felt the need to create such 'safe spaces'?

Universities are definitely to blame, yes. But they didn't just dream this up on their own; it's a capitulation to the demands of people who went to university for the wrong reasons. The universities deserve criticism for capitulating, but that doesn't absolve the students who are the source of this nonsense.
Original post by Hydeman
Universities are definitely to blame, yes. But they didn't just dream this up on their own; it's a capitulation to the demands of people who went to university for the wrong reasons. The universities deserve criticism for capitulating, but that doesn't absolve the students who are the source of this nonsense.

well ,isn't is obvious that the universities care about the emotional and mental welfare of their students?
well ,isn't is obvious that the universities care about the emotional and mental welfare of their students?

To clarify, I don't oppose 'safe spaces' for those with mental health issues.

As for emotional welfare -- tough. The universities concerned need to get their priorities right. They are first and foremost institutions of learning and intellectual progress. Giving in to people who claim the right not to be offended is not why they exist. Universities are not playgrounds, and it's a sad development that some universities don't seem to mind turning into playgrounds for immature individuals clinging to their sheltered childhoods at the expense of their peers and of the university that they chose to attend (at a substantial cost to both themselves and to the taxpayer).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Ridicule is an absolutely awful way of making someone change their perspective. It's much more likely to make them even more confident in their own beliefs and it's a very petty strategy that requires no intelligence or maturity to pull off. If you think ridicule is an effective debating strategy then I think you need a bit of a lesson in persuasion...

Seconded.

I think satire is an effective way of holding a mirror up which can highlight hypocrisy and make people think but active ridicule really does the opposite.
Original post by Hydeman
To clarify, I don't oppose 'safe spaces' for those with mental health issues.

As for emotional welfare -- tough. The universities concerned need to get their priorities right. They are first and foremost institutions of learning and intellectual progress. Giving in to people who claim the right not to be offended is not why they exist. Universities are not playgrounds, and it's a sad development that some universities don't seem to mind turning into playgrounds for immature individuals clinging to their sheltered childhoods at the expense of their peers and of the university that they chose to attend (at a substantial cost to both themselves and to the taxpayer).

university is more than just an institution of learning. It's about Learning and experiencing new things and there should be safe guards in place to stop silly and hateful things from happening and causing mental and emotional disturbances. You can't just tell these people to shrug it off,doesn't make the problem go away
Arab Jews still exist. They are Arabs who practice Judaism. They do not identify as Israelis but rather Arabs and anyway there's a lot more to it.

Arab Jews means Arab Jews, not Arabs. Judaism is practiced only by Jews, because Judaism is national Jewish religion:
"Judaism ( ... the distinctive characteristics of the Judean ethnos)[3] encompasses the religion, philosophy, culture and way of life of the Jewish people".
I'm just trying kindly explain you that Jews are not Arabs and Arabs are not Jews. I hope that eventually you will be able to understand this complicated academic fact.
:hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending