The Student Room Group

How can I 'slim down' my calves?

The upper part of my calves are chunky/bulgy and I was wondering how I could make them slimmer. Its not really the size i'm worried about, its more the shape. I do 80 minutes of speed walking to college 5 days a week and I sometimes do squats and lunges etc but these only seem to have an effect on my thighs. Although i've noticed that there is now more muscle in my calves due to the walking I do, they are still chunky.
Is there anything else I could do to slim them down? Would a high carb low fat diet be beneficial?
Original post by jessyjellytot14
The upper part of my calves are chunky/bulgy and I was wondering how I could make them slimmer. Its not really the size i'm worried about, its more the shape. I do 80 minutes of speed walking to college 5 days a week and I sometimes do squats and lunges etc but these only seem to have an effect on my thighs. Although i've noticed that there is now more muscle in my calves due to the walking I do, they are still chunky.
Is there anything else I could do to slim them down? Would a high carb low fat diet be beneficial?

I'll start this by saying you can't spot reduce fat or muscle. When you go on a calorie restricted diet you will lose fat from everywhere and your calves will lose fat with it. Training your calves with speed walking and other various leg exercises will only increase the muscle size.(or at least maintain the muscle you already have there which can become a good thing if you plan to cut down fat later on)

If you were interested in breaking down the muscle, you would just stop training your legs completely, try to walk as little as possible and eat in a caloric deficit as your muscles actually start to deprecate within 48 hours or so. (Although I wouldn't recommend this as you will be left with fatty calves)

If you wanted some real advice, depending on how... (unsure how to delicately say this)..your body composition is? I would suggest you find you go on a diet that only slightly restricts calories (like 300 below your maintenance) and then just keep doing the work you're already doing with your exercises.

If you need any advice finding your maintenance calories or advice on your macro/micro nutrients then feel free to ask.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GarethMason
I'll start this by saying you can't spot reduce fat or muscle. When you go on a calorie restricted diet you will lose fat from everywhere

At different rates

Original post by GarethMason

If you were interested in breaking down the muscle, you would just stop training your legs completely, try to walk as little as possible and eat in a caloric deficit as your muscles actually start to deprecate within 48 hours or so. (Although I wouldn't recommend this as you will be left with fatty calves)

This won't really break down the muscle in the calves.

I agree with your nutritional advice though.
Due to the fact you are female it is unlikely (imo) that your calves hold lots of muscle making them 'bulky'.
So my advice is go on a cut and slowly lose the fat, everywhere will lose fat but your calves will slim down if you do that...
Keep squatting and using lunges and this will keep your legs more proportional. Train everything basically.
Reply 4
1. Low-intensity running for long distances.

2. Yoga. This can change the shape of your calves. Giving them long, lean muscles.

http://www.superskinnyme.com/how-to-slim-calves.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/525171-how-to-decrease-calf-muscles-and-fat/

Quick Reply

Latest