The Student Room Group

2:2 looking likely with AABB A-levels: options from here

Hey everyone, I'm currently studying a Biomed degree and a 2:2 is looking likely when I graduate at the end of this year, meaning my options for graduate entry medicine are limited to Nottingham. I do have an interview with them coming up so hopefully that will go well, but in case it doesn't I need a contingency plan.

I also studied four a levels and got AABB, not as good as I was hoping for but given I had to take two months off in first year thanks to a spinal operation and then was suffering with depression for my second year the results could have been a lot worse.

My game plan is this:
a) if I don't get my place at Nottingham this year, take the year out and look for a small-time job as well as work experience. I could also look into doing an A-level independently, as this website:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
shows that they can be resat post-y13. I assume I have understood this correctly?

I will then reapply for Nottingham and hope they offer me another interview.

b) if the second application to Nottingham fails, then my only option would be to independently study Biology a level and get an A, pushing my a levels up to AAAB. I would also need to find £45000 in tuition fees, which would be from me getting a job and saving every penny for a good few years. I would then go through the typical procedure of applying for an undergraduate place through UCAS, but I would need to check which medical schools would accept an a level from someone who sat it independently.

Does anyone have any comments/constructive criticism of my plan here?
SGUL would also accept a 2:2.

And if you did a masters degree, so would GKT and Warwick.

I don't think resitting your A levels would be a very effective use of your time - 5 year degrees (except for Exeter and Plymouth) will still look at your degree result.

Good luck for your Notts interview.
i do wonder why you are not doing so well at university when you have decent A-Level grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
SGUL would also accept a 2:2.

And if you did a masters degree, so would GKT and Warwick.

I don't think resitting your A levels would be a very effective use of your time - 5 year degrees (except for Exeter and Plymouth) will still look at your degree result.

Good luck for your Notts interview.

I'll have to consider St George's then - thanks for that info. I also didn't know that undergrad entry degrees would look at my degree result, so that's good to know.

Would it be worth doing another 3 year degree with the intention of getting a 2:1?

Thanks, I'll probably be spamming the forum if I get an offer there lol.

I had a bit of trouble with depression during my second year so I decided to take a year out then redo the year, unfortunately it didn't go so well.
Original post by anon117
I'll have to consider St George's then - thanks for that info. I also didn't know that undergrad entry degrees would look at my degree result, so that's good to know.

Would it be worth doing another 3 year degree with the intention of getting a 2:1?

Thanks, I'll probably be spamming the forum if I get an offer there lol.

Definitely not - firstly you wouldn't be able to get loans/grants for a second non-medical/dental undergraduate degree, and secondly, the medical schools would still look at your first undergraduate degree.

If you're going to do further study, you should do a masters degree.

I think the best things to do would be:

1) Try your absolute hardest to get a 2:1 - as I understand it you're still at uni, so this is a possibility right?

2) If you get a 2:2, try and smash the GAMSAT.

3) Consider doing a masters degree if you want to be able to apply to Warwick and GKT.

Your A levels are very good so there's no point trying to redo them, and it would be madness to start another undergrad degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
Definitely not - firstly you wouldn't be able to get loans/grants for a second non-medical/dental undergraduate degree, and secondly, the medical schools would still look at your first undergraduate degree.

If you're going to do further study, you should do a masters degree.

I think the best things to do would be:

1) Try your absolute hardest to get a 2:1 - as I understand it you're still at uni, so this is a possibility right?

2) If you get a 2:2, try and smash the GAMSAT.

3) Consider doing a masters degree if you want to be able to apply to Warwick and GKT.

Your A levels are very good so there's no point trying to redo them, and it would be madness to start another undergrad degree.

I haven't considered a masters degree so far; would it be possible to graduate, then pick up the masters degree after a year of not being at university?

A 2:1 would require me to get like 80 in the summer exams, it's not very likely.

I have already got a very good mark on the GAMSAT, around 70 or 71, so if Nottingham offer me a place then I should be ok with a 2:2. The GAMSAT lasts for 2 years as well so I won't need to resit it for next year.

Hmm, fair enough about the a level grades. The only problem is that now all uni places ask for AAA minimum, which I don't meet. Point taken on the extra undergrad degree.
Original post by anon117
I haven't considered a masters degree so far; would it be possible to graduate, then pick up the masters degree after a year of not being at university?

A 2:1 would require me to get like 80 in the summer exams, it's not very likely.

I have already got a very good mark on the GAMSAT, around 70 or 71, so if Nottingham offer me a place then I should be ok with a 2:2. The GAMSAT lasts for 2 years as well so I won't need to resit it for next year.

Hmm, fair enough about the a level grades. The only problem is that now all uni places ask for AAA minimum, which I don't meet. Point taken on the extra undergrad degree.

That's an excellent score - I would definitely try to work with what you have in that case. Also consider applying to SGUL if you're not successful this year. All the best.
Original post by anon117

I'm starting back at university next year, having been away for 4 years - the same length of time I was there the first time round! You'll be fine doing a Masters after a year out. However, have a look at applications now, as you may be able to apply to study this September.

Quick Reply

Latest