The Student Room Group

Rejecting offer this year, reapply to better universities?

I have an offer this year and I am very greatful however it's not the university I like, I'd like to go to the top ones around a really good area such as Imperial, Ucl, Kings of the like however I was too scared to apply this year.
If I manage to get 4A* at Alevel this year do u think it's worth reapplying to better universities (better suited people too) and take the chance? I am also very in favour of taking a gap year so that is like a bonus.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes if you are prepared for the extra year out. Live by your decisions.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Yes if you are prepared for the extra year out. Live by your decisions.

It's just that it was hard enough to get an offer this year
Original post by Squishy®

Its a risk. Only you know how likely it is you will get the grades. If you have the grades already, then yes, but otherwise its a risk and your choice.

You could always defer the offer and see how you feel after your gap year.
Reply 4
Its a risk. Only you know how likely it is you will get the grades. If you have the grades already, then yes, but otherwise its a risk and your choice.

You could always defer the offer and see how you feel after your gap year.

But if I defer the offer I have to accept it and can't apply again this year
Reply 5

4A* isn't easy, although even getting A*AA/A*A*A will be enough to get into the better ones. Offers aren't that hard to get either especially if you have those grades already achieved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Usually I would say yes but I don't know if it's worth it for Medicine. It really doesn't matter which uni you go too but if you have no issue with doing the admission tests again and running the risk of not getting any offers whilst on a gap year then go for it because at the end of the day, going to a uni you aren't sold on for 5 years is tough.
Reply 7
Original post by thad33
4A* isn't easy, although even getting A*AA/A*A*A will be enough to get into the better ones. Offers aren't that hard to get either especially if you have those grades already achieved

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have week GCSEs though so I was really talking about Imperial, UCl rejected me post interview this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Manexopi
Usually I would say yes but I don't know if it's worth it for Medicine. It really doesn't matter which uni you go too but if you have no issue with doing the admission tests again and running the risk of not getting any offers whilst on a gap year then go for it because at the end of the day, going to a uni you aren't sold on for 5 years is tough.

Yeah I really don't seem to like it and I think I'll do better on the admission tests this year due to Alevels helping and more time to do so as well. I don't really like the idea of risking it because I have an offer this year
Reply 9
My bad, didn't realise it was medicine.

It doesn't matter where you go for medicine though does it? You end up in the same place wherever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I really don't seem to like it and I think I'll do better on the admission tests this year due to Alevels helping and more time to do so as well. I don't really like the idea of risking it because I have an offer this year

You have to make an assessment. Do you think your grades and application will be stronger? Does it matter that much? Is it medicine?

I'd be worried about accepting a uni place for somewhere I didnt like. You cna always take more advice from your target unis before making the choice. Nobody can guarantee you the outcome you want, so its a risk you have to weigh up.
Reply 11
Original post by thad33
My bad, didn't realise it was medicine.

It doesn't matter where you go for medicine though does it? You end up in the same place wherever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is true but I don't want to live in a boring place with boring people and nothing to do but pretend to enjoy listening to opera to fit in with all the boring personalities there.
If its medicine, then you really need to be honest with yourself about your chances of getting an offer from elsewhere. Maube talk to some of the students who are studying there? Be realistic.
Stop begging for attention
Reply 14
If its medicine, then you really need to be honest with yourself about your chances of getting an offer from elsewhere. Maube talk to some of the students who are studying there? Be realistic.

I mean I'm fairly confident and I'll be able to know everything about he interview that I'll have but there's always uncertainty after interview.
Reply 15
Original post by raconner
Stop begging for attention

Wtf shut up how am I begging for attention? What will attention towards a tsr account do for me?
What university is it that you have an offer from?
And if you don't mind me asking, what are your GCSE grades?
Reply 17
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
What university is it that you have an offer from?
And if you don't mind me asking, what are your GCSE grades?

Why? Are you applying this year?
Why? Are you applying this year?

Yes
Reply 19
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
Yes

What r ur GCSEs and predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending