The Student Room Group

What model calculator do you use for A level Maths?

Just wondering what calculator some of you people use for A-level Maths?

I'm using a CASIO fx-85GT PLUS but was wondering what calculators you would recommend.

Are we allowed calculators that can work out quadratic equations?

Scroll to see replies

Scientific calculators are really good and so useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Philip-flop
Just wondering what calculator some of you people use for A-level Maths?

I'm using a CASIO fx-85GT PLUS but was wondering what calculators you would recommend.

Hi there. I use a Casio fx-991ES Plus, and a lot of people I know use that too. You can use any Scientific Clauclator for A Level Maths as I don't it would make a difference. If you want to know about which calculators you can use, it usually says at the front of a C2 paper which calculators students ARE NOT allowed to use. Hope this helps :smile:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/scientific-calculator

buy two in case the first one breaks :smile:
Any calculator is allowed unless it can do symbolic algebra manipulation
Reply 5

Yes.
Thanks guys. I know you can use a calculator to work out a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula but, is there a way of using a calculator to help factorise a quadratic equation? (Sorry if I sound like such a newbie, I'm a mature student and have only been learning A-level Maths since October but before this I hadn't studied Maths since I was at school 7 years ago!!)
Thanks guys. I know you can use a calculator to work out a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula but, is there a way of using a calculator to help factorise a quadratic equation? (Sorry if I sound like such a newbie, I'm a mature student and have only been learning A-level Maths since October but before this I hadn't studied Maths since I was at school 7 years ago!!)

Nope but here's an easy trick

Let's say you get x = -1, x = 5/3

All you have to do is rearrange to get 0 on one side, for each one

First one would be easy
(x+1) = 0

Second one:

x = 5/3
3x = 5
(3x - 5) = 0

Then multiply the two together to get your factorised quadratic

(x+1)(3x-5)=0

The one I wrote about does, yes.
Reply 9

If you put in a quadratic equation x2+bx+c=0x^2 + bx + c = 0 into your calculator and it tells you that the roots/solutions are α\alpha and β\beta, then your quadratic is factorised as (xα)(xβ)(x-\alpha)(x-\beta). If this sounds foreign to you, then let's try an example.

We have x27x+10=0x^2 -7x + 10 = 0, plug this into your calculator. Your calculator will show you that the roots are x=5x=5 or x=2x=2. This means that the quadratic factorises as (x5)(x2)(x-5)(x-2).
Reply 10
Original post by Student403

4/5. :cry2:
Original post by Zacken
4/5. :cry2:

LaTeX makes everything look prettier <:

4.5/5 for you :biggrin:
@Philip-flop or you can use the quadratic equation.
Original post by ravioliyears

I don't think it factorises. It gives you the x values
Reply 14

@Philip-flop or you can use the quadratic equation.

Do you mean quadratic formula? I think he knows that already. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Do you mean quadratic formula? I think he knows that already. :smile:

Oh damn whoops

Hi ravioliyears,

So you're saying that the CASIO fx-991ESPLUS can factorise an equation for me?

For example:

3x^2 - 2x - 8 = 0

the calculator will give the following answer...

(3x + 4)(x - 2) = 0

or will the calculator just give the answers in terms of x...

x = - 4/3 , x = 2

I was never taught how to work out quadratics using a calculator back at school so have a huge gap in my knowledge. I just want to know how as I sometimes spend a long time trying to work them out in my head :frown:
Hi ravioliyears,

For example:

3x^2 - 2x - 8 = 0

(3x + 4)(x - 2) = 0

x = - 4/3 , x = 2

I was never taught how to work out quadratics using a calculator back at school so have a huge gap in my knowledge. I just want to know how as I sometimes spend a long time trying to work them out in my head :frown:

The answer be given in terms of x. You'll need to rearrange.
Hi ravioliyears,

For example:

3x^2 - 2x - 8 = 0

(3x + 4)(x - 2) = 0

x = - 4/3 , x = 2

It will give you x = -4/3, x = 2

Not factorise
Reply 19
I use a CASIO FX-911ES Plus but also have a TI-84 as back up. I personally work a lot faster with the CASIO, but the TI is very powerful in the right hands!

Quick Reply

Latest