The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SA-1
**** off

£100 p/m?!

Mines anywhere from £75-£100 p/m
Got to love how the Tories sneakily/quietly introduced that.

Don't understand how anyone from the younger generations/students can vote for them.
Original post by sr90
Mines anywhere from £75-£100 p/m

Does that vary depending on overtime and stuff?

£112 is annoying considering my tax is about 1/3 :frown:
Original post by Lúcio
Does that vary depending on overtime and stuff?

£112 is annoying considering my tax is about 1/3 :frown:

Yeh, overtime can be up to an extra £1k pm gross and student loan payments are calculated accordingly.

Rather depressing that half of it is immediately added back on in interest
Original post by sr90
Yeh, overtime can be up to an extra £1k pm gross and student loan payments are calculated accordingly.

Rather depressing that half of it is immediately added back on in interest

It's just a bitch to be honest.
I'd rather have it like it is in China as acorns mentioned. I'd rather just know exactly what I'm getting, instead of knowing what I begin with and all the little bits that depressingly get knocked off.

My contract expires at the beginning of July so I'll have worked about 8 months at the job.

If my tax is based on the assumption I'll get 39k for the year, will I get anything back at the end of the financial year since I'll only have worked 2/3 of said year?
Original post by zKlown
Not sure really, it's probably clouded by Nostalgia

Bourne Identity
Dark Knight
Fellowship of the Ring
Departed
X-Men 2

I know they're not all great films as such, but as far as enjoyment goes, off top of my head, I liked them.

Is it bad I haven't watched 2 of those
Original post by Lúcio
If my tax is based on the assumption I'll get 39k for the year, will I get anything back at the end of the financial year since I'll only have worked 2/3 of said year?

Your tax code isn't usually based on income. You had a job before didn't you, your best bet is hoping that changing jobs buggered up your tax code. That's what happened to me last year and I had a nice juicy rebate in the summer.
Original post by sr90
Your tax code isn't usually based on income. You had a job before didn't you, your best bet is hoping that changing jobs buggered up your tax code. That's what happened to me last year and I had a nice juicy rebate in the summer.

Yeah I've had an "emergency" tax code since I started. There was a big delay in getting my p45 because my previous employers didn't have my current address for some reason. Should be sorted sometime soon because I got confirmation my new employers had received my p45.

What % do you normally get taxed?
Reply 528
Original post by Dirtybit
Is it bad I haven't watched 2 of those

If one of them is TDK then your life has no purpose.
Original post by Rk2k14
If one of them is TDK then your life has no purpose.

Ofc not that, man's a Superhero fan.
Reply 530
Ofc not that, man's a Superhero fan.

Best superhero film?
What's your top 5?

1. Juice
2. Poetic Justice
3. Above the Rim
4. Gridlock'd
5. Gang Related
Original post by Rk2k14
Best superhero film?

Spiderman (2002)

was actually madness when it came out. such a huge blockbuster movie for its time.

you were probably too young though.
Original post by swirly
1. Juice
2. Poetic Justice
3. Above the Rim
4. Gridlock'd
5. Gang Related

That's cool but didn't ask you!

Original post by Rk2k14
Best superhero film?

Dark Knight hands down

Original post by swirly
Spiderman (2002)

was actually madness when it came out. such a huge blockbuster movie for its time.

you were probably too young though.

He was probably like -2 years old
That's cool but didn't ask you!

Original post by Lúcio
Yeah I've had an "emergency" tax code since I started. There was a big delay in getting my p45 because my previous employers didn't have my current address for some reason. Should be sorted sometime soon because I got confirmation my new employers had received my p45.

What % do you normally get taxed?

You are probably getting taxed with a tax code of BR which is a straight 20% tax on all earnings.

I'll give you a quick explanation on how it is calculated. The tax year is from 6th April 15 to 5 April 16.
The first 10600 you earned it is your personal allowance, this means you pay no tax on this level.
Anything between 10600 - 31765 you pay 20% tax on.
Anything between 31766 - 150000 you pay 40% tax on.

So let's say your salary is 35k a year. Total taxable income = 24400. Income tax = 0.2 x 24400 = 4880.
Now NI, the threshold are anything over 8060 is taxed at 12%. I can't remember the upper limit.
So in this example you will have NI of (35000-8060)x 12% = 3233
Now student loans, you pay 9% on anything over 17335... So in this case (35000-17335) x 9% = 1590

So your total net salary for a gross of 35000 = 35000-4880-3233-1590 = 25297 a year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 536
Ffs you guys are only a few years older than me.
Only 18 but my mind is older. @zKlown

Also lel @ swirly.
Original post by Rk2k14

Also lel @ swirly.

rk pls:frown:
Reply 538
Original post by swirly
rk pls:frown:

You playing with my emotions.
Thoughts on Friday?
Original post by Rk2k14
You playing with my emotions.