The Student Room Group

Should a 16 year old bulk

Hi TSR!

So I have been weightlifting for a year now, however most of this time I was cutting in effort to lose weight. This of course led to very little muscle gains (visually).

So I have decided to bulk. But recently I read an article of how a 15 yr old got jacked on steroids because he couldn't gain muscle while bulking because the body did not produce enough testosterone. Will the same happen to me? Obviously not the steroids part lol😂. But will my bulking be effective? Will I have enough testosterone to get maximum muscle gains while bulking?
I am only one year older than this guy...

Thanks! Any advice is much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

1) don't use steroids
2) yes you can bulk at that age with just a diet and a training regime
3) if you don't see any "visual" improvement you're doing it wrong
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi TSR!

So I have been weightlifting for a year now, however most of this time I was cutting in effort to lose weight. This of course led to very little muscle gains (visually).

So I have decided to bulk. But recently I read an article of how a 15 yr old got jacked on steroids because he couldn't gain muscle while bulking because the body did not produce enough testosterone. Will the same happen to me? Obviously not the steroids part lol😂. But will my bulking be effective? Will I have enough testosterone to get maximum muscle gains while bulking?
I am only one year older than this guy...

Thanks! Any advice is much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore the testosterone stuff, you are just overthinking things.

Lift heavy while sustaining proper form. Eat your fruit and veggies,lots of clean food (chicken breast,peanut butter etc.) and have junk in moderation, and you will see progress.
No secret to gettin' bigger.

-Eat
-Heavy Compounds (Squat, Deadlift, Bench etc)
-Get Good Rest

All there is to it.
If you want to gain size for your arms, do curls of 6-10 reps and 3 sets, using a weight that you feel greatly challenged by when you get to the third set (I used 8/10kg, depending on form)
Big natty daddy is not a role model. He'll be dead in his 20s using amount of drugs he does.

Yes you can, just take it easy
Posted from TSR Mobile
What is your current body composition? A bulk is probably favourable but if you're already obese then obviously you'd need to cut.

Curent bodyweight, pictures (Because asking for rough bodyfat level is a joke on the internet) and lifts would be useful as a guide to help people help you.
Original post by Motorbiker
What is your current body composition? A bulk is probably favourable but if you're already obese then obviously you'd need to cut.

Curent bodyweight, pictures (Because asking for rough bodyfat level is a joke on the internet) and lifts would be useful as a guide to help people help you.

Hi,

I can give you my weight and height. I'm 5"11" and I weigh 61KG. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lifts? What do you mean? As in what I lift?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lifts? What do you mean? As in what I lift?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Knowing what your current strength levels give us an indication of your base.

Just remember to include the bar which is usually 20kg itself.

So for your bench, if you usually have 20kg on each side, its actually 60kg all together.
Dude you're 16, focus on bulking regardless and maximise your growth spurt, don't spend a year being calorically deficient just to get thin fml.
Original post by GarethMason
Yeah, Knowing what your current strength levels give us an indication of your base.

Just remember to include the bar which is usually 20kg itself.

So for your bench, if you usually have 20kg on each side, its actually 60kg all together.

In terms of benching I can do 50 for 2 sets 12 reps each. Usually do 40 and 5 sets as I last longer before failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Dude you're 16, focus on bulking regardless and maximise your growth spurt, don't spend a year being calorically deficient just to get thin fml.

I would usually 100% agree but it depends how big this guy is. If he's obese then bulking more isn't going help him out much despite a growth spurt. Specially if his goal is aesthetics.

In terms of benching I can do 50 for 2 sets 12 reps each. Usually do 40 and 5 sets as I last longer before failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So.. 15kg each side for 2x12 reps and 10kg each side for ?x5?

If that's the base then your strength level is poor. We still need to see some pictures of your body before we can make a fair judgement but with that base you should probably be bulking till you hit some nice goals like a 100kg bench (2 plate bench) 140 Squat (3 plate squat) and 60kg military press (1 plate press)

I suggest you look up some noobie routines like Starting Strength or ICF 5X5

t that's my opinion you can do whatever the hell you wanna do aha.
Hi,

I can give you my weight and height. I'm 5"11" and I weigh 61KG. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely bulk. I'm currently 85kg at 5"7'. And I'm a small guy anyway. You need to bulk to 90kg before worrying about cutting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Motorbiker;63358613]Definitely bulk. I'm currently 85kg at 5"7'. And I'm a small guy anyway. You need to bulk to 90kg before worrying about cutting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are still viewed as small at 85kg, 5'7"?

I'd say that's pretty big (given your height).

OP - My guess is you were skinny fat or a bit fatter than that. You have cut down to a lean base.
61kg at 5'11 is very lean but at 16 years old that's ok.

So bulk bro. Until into the 70s kg wise.
Bulk slowly (250 calories per day) and you'll (you should anyway) see significant gains.
Definitely bulk. I'm currently 85kg at 5"7'. And I'm a small guy anyway. You need to bulk to 90kg before worrying about cutting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Small in height, but you're very strong by anyone's standard

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a lot of misinformation on this thread it is unbelievable.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Small in height, but you're very strong by anyone's standard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, other 83kg lifters in my gym total 740 and 660 and are the strongest in gbpf and bdfpa. Way to make a guy feel very weak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meh, other 83kg lifters in my gym total 740 and 660 and are the strongest in gbpf and bdfpa. Way to make a guy feel very weak.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look up Steve Shaw's strength standards. That'll put you in perspective. Be proud

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I am a bit confused, do I bulk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest