The Student Room Group

Make-up degree?

I've changed my mind about what I want to do recently, and I'd love to do a make-up degree. However, I don't do any related A levels as I'm not that great at art. I'm doing a level 3 make-up course at the weekend however, so could this help me get into uni? I would be happy to do a foundation degree and have found courses at York and Manchester college that look really good. Would I stand a chance of getting in to do a foundation degree?
Original post by sweeties789
I've changed my mind about what I want to do recently, and I'd love to do a make-up degree. However, I don't do any related A levels as I'm not that great at art. I'm doing a level 3 make-up course at the weekend however, so could this help me get into uni? I would be happy to do a foundation degree and have found courses at York and Manchester college that look really good. Would I stand a chance of getting in to do a foundation degree?

Probably! I can't say for sure, especially not for top universities like York and Manchester but it depends how solid your portfolio is
Thanks for replying! What should I include in a portfolio to make it really good?

I would probably say do a range of stuff! Not just like every day make up, try some stage make up, some movie make up with like special effects, some glamour stuff? If you're applying for 2017 entry, you could set up a mini make up business where you could do your friends faces before going to a party or something? It would be cool to talk about that at an interview and definitely shows passion for your subject! Also make sure you get/borrow a good camera to take the pictures with, well taken photos could make all the difference! Heres a few links I found to maybe help you out a bit!
https://www.qcmakeupacademy.com/2014/05/building-makeup-artistry-portfolio-101-finding-models/
http://careerinmakeup.com/portfolio/
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Makeup-Artist-Portfolio
(edited 8 years ago)
Excellent choice of degree! Great career prospects and amazing pay :yes:

I just graduated last year.

Hi

Ignore the socially inept people invading your thread to take the piss.

It's worth reposting this in the stickied thread for this year's make up applicants http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60568069&postcount=1

The most important thing is to build up your portfolio. So getting experience and trying out different techniques. For some degrees they'll like to see you using drawing/sketches to explore ideas before putting them into practice.
Original post by TeeEm
How dare you patronize people expressing their view without bad language?!
Who do you think you are?

I'm not patronising anyone.

I'm advising the OP to ignore the input of people who don't understand that responding to a request for help to attain goals with mockery and belittling of those goals is recommended. People who choose not to display basic manners are demonstrating a level of social awareness that is inept at best.

Derailing the OPs thread like this is rude at best. Please stop. If you'd like to debate the merits of various subjects we have an entire Educational debate forum for that.
Reply 6
Nice to see me being patronized by a very important poster, which also uses offensive language, yet I am being told I must not patronize ...
Shameful!
Just seen this thread. Level 3 makeup will indeed support an application to apply to do makeup at uni with.

It's worth bearing in mind that many makeup jobs do not ask for a degree in the subject. Personally I am just level 3 qualified in makeup and have done degrees in theory based subjects. You only get funding for one undergraduate degree and I think it is worthwhile being diverse. That said if you do a makeup degree and want to diversify you could always do a masters in a different subject.

Quick Reply

Latest