The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by romaiseb
How would you answer a 5 marker on the definition of Parliamentary democracy?

Type of democracy in which citizens elect representative to the parliament and the party with majority forms a government but can sometimes lead to coalitions. Common feature of this democracy is that there is no separation of power but rather fusion power meaning that the executive can also vote on legislation, they can also have a strong opposition , greater cooperation between executive branch and legislative , party leader becomes the prime minister but his legitimacy can also be questioned.

That should bag you 5 marks haha Correct me if I'm wrong .............
Original post by willsmith410
these are missing the pressure groups and judiciary topics but otherwise complete

have you completed the unit 2 notes yet or?
Has anyone got notes n the judiciary
How are you guys revising? I have completed all my notes, just need to go over them in their entirety one last time before printing, and am unsure on how to continue. I have been making mind-maps to revise, and have done so for two topics, but I'm out of any other ideas. I don't find that flashcards work very well for Government and Politics either.

Is simply rewriting all of my notes the best way to memorise the content?
Original post by popcornjpg
How are you guys revising? I have completed all my notes, just need to go over them in their entirety one last time before printing, and am unsure on how to continue. I have been making mind-maps to revise, and have done so for two topics, but I'm out of any other ideas. I don't find that flashcards work very well for Government and Politics either.

Haven't even started my notes yet...
Original post by jamestg
Haven't even started my notes yet...

well I did self-study so there wasn't much else for me to do tbh.
well I did self-study so there wasn't much else for me to do tbh.

Fair enough!

As you're self studying, would you like me to mark anything? We tend to mark our work in class a lot, and I'm OK at giving marks where they're due.

I'm more than happy to mark just a five marker or a whole paper! Counts as revision for me, and I can give feedback - not just a mark!
Original post by jamestg
Fair enough!

As you're self studying, would you like me to mark anything? We tend to mark our work in class a lot, and I'm OK at giving marks where they're due.

I'm more than happy to mark just a five marker or a whole paper! Counts as revision for me, and I can give feedback - not just a mark!

I'll take you up on that offer. Are you more comfortable marking a Unit 1 or Unit 2 paper? And if you ever need a favour I'll happily return it.
I'll take you up on that offer. Are you more comfortable marking a Unit 1 or Unit 2 paper? And if you ever need a favour I'll happily return it.

I'm more than comfortable marking a unit 1 and a unit 2 paper! If you ask me to do any at the moment, I'll be able to do it within a day. But obviously after easter it may take a day or two...
I will let you know mate when I have done one. Thanks for the help.

Yep, I find it's really helpful to rewrite my notes because while rewriting it you're taking in information & making notes more concise and clearer makes it easier for me to memorise as well.
I've memorised the Democracy topic and done some practise questions for it; then I'm going to move on to memorising the PGs topic soon.
Reply 131
Original post by jamestg
Fair enough!

lets do that! I would like that done with me please....

marking other people's work is actually a good way to revise!
Reply 132
Yep, I find it's really helpful to rewrite my notes because while rewriting it you're taking in information & making notes more concise and clearer makes it easier for me to memorise as well.
I've memorised the Democracy topic and done some practise questions for it; then I'm going to move on to memorising the PGs topic soon.

Unit 2 is painful....argh lol

How many topics are you learning?

No, I personally would read them outline many times. Could you please send me the notes, they would be a great help?
Original post by xxvine

I'm only learning 3 - judiciary, Parliament & PM + Cabinet - what about you?
Original post by xxvine

I'm only learning 3 - judiciary, Parliament & PM + Cabinet - what about you?

Be careful only doing 3 topics for unit two. I would strongly recommend doing all 4.
Original post by jamestg
Be careful only doing 3 topics for unit two. I would strongly recommend doing all 4.

I did it last year and it worked out fine for me
I did it last year and it worked out fine for me

Wait what? If you did it last year and it worked out, you wouldn't be learning it again would you?
Also, have any of you done this question for Unit 2?

‘The House of Lords is now more effective than the House of Commons in checkinggovernment power.’ Discuss.

I tried to do it but found it rather difficult. I feel like I don't know enough about the House of Lords to answer something like this, especially since it's so specific.

I was going to talk about;

1) the unelected nature of the lords means they are more assertive to check the government of the day as they do not rely on parties to be re-elected
2) the weak loyalty to the government and weak party unity means they often use their own judgement for the benefit of the public when blocking proposals from the Commons e.g. blocking working tax credit cuts
3) the ineffective ways that commons calls ministers to account e.g. PMQs is used more to embarrass ministers rather than to scrunitise their actions and policies and rarely gives detailed answers to MPs questions

What else is there to talk about?
Reply 139
Original post by jamestg

Nope if anything you can get away with learning only 2
Parliament and constitution never appear in the same section together!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending