The Student Room Group

when should you be on past papers if you are aiming for 90% ums?

I study maths, further maths, physics and economics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Acrux

Didn't you make an identical post last week?
Reply 2
Original post by samb1234
Didn't you make an identical post last week?

Yes i would like more opinions
I got 100% UMS on my final two econ papers and I think I only did about a month on past papers. It's more about how much work you put into the past papers than anything. Doing a couple of papers in detail, paying attention to the mark schemes is more valuable than covering a lot of papers but paying hardly any attention to them - ie just doing them to fulfil a quota.
Original post by Acrux
Yes i would like more opinions

Now.
Reply 5
Original post by mscaffrey
I got 100% UMS on my final two econ papers and I think I only did about a month on past papers. It's more about how much work you put into the past papers than anything. Doing a couple of papers in detail, paying attention to the mark schemes is more valuable than covering a lot of papers but paying hardly any attention to them - ie just doing them to fulfil a quota.

Thanks.
How many did you do in the end in detail?
There really is no "set time" you should be on them, except like a week before the exam maybe when everyone should be revising/doing past papers.

If you're like me and things don't stick well in your head, then a week before the exam is ideal and works out pretty well. Obviously for others it's different.

Noone knows you better than you know yourself.
Original post by Acrux

im in year 12 and I'm doing the same subjects as you. :smile: I've started maths A2 past papers last week( doing whole a level this year), as there are so many to do. I'm aiming to start physics around now, and start economics during the easter break
Why not now?
Original post by Student403
There really is no "set time" you should be on them, except like a week before the exam maybe when everyone should be revising/doing past papers.

If you're like me and things don't stick well in your head, then a week before the exam is ideal and works out pretty well. Obviously for others it's different.

Noone knows you better than you know yourself.

A week before seems seriously cutting it close.

Do you not wanna get them marked by a teacher or something?
Original post by Willnewman234
im in year 12 and I'm doing the same subjects as you. :smile: I've started maths A2 past papers last week( doing whole a level this year), as there are so many to do. I'm aiming to start physics around now, and start economics during the easter break

im gonna start c1 and c2 nnext month past papers is that to late weve had 3 different teachers as our teacher is pregnant
To be honest, especially for maths, if you know the content past papers aren't a necessity at all. A few is desirable, but you don't need to make them the cornerstone of your revision as some people on here claim.

Don't worry too much about the people who claim you need to do every single past paper you can lay your hands on. You should only need to go through so much repetition if you don't understand what you're doing.
Like @mscaffrey said, it depends on whether you actually pay very close attention to the mark scheme and mark yourself accordingly, and not whether you do more past papers than anyone else. Quality over quantity!

As for when to start, just try to do one or two whenever you're done with normal studying and you have nothing else to do. It'll help in school exams too.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

I mean the content revision starts a couple of weeks before but no, I usually power out 10-15 past papers in a week instead of pacing. Helps me especially in remembering repeat question styles, which my idiot exam board insists on using (but hey if it's there, might as well abuse it!)

As for the marking, maths there's either a right or wrong answer. Physics, if it ain't there, (to me) it's wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Acrux
Thanks.
How many did you do in the end in detail?

I have no idea, this was 7 years ago. But try not to get hung up on other people's stats. Just focus on doing the best you can do with the time you have available and you'll end up with the best results you're capable of.
My uni offer is A*AA and i'm starting past papers April16th according to my schedule leaving me 7 weeks of Past Papers :smile: Hope that helps.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Past papers are just a part of revision,they are not the be all and end all i would take properly understanding the content over having done all the papers every time
Reply 17
Original post by Willnewman234

So are you doing AS+A2 Maths this year but AS further maths only.
How many papers are you planning on doing?
Reply 18
I will complete all questions/content by the end of march and begin past papers on April 1st.
Original post by Acrux
I will complete all questions/content by the end of march and begin past papers on April 1st.

Or balance them? Getting to past papers asap is good :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest