The Student Room Group

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
Racism and oppression are 2 different things and exist separately

But you are saying that people can't commit and be victims of the same type of act.

Well. Until racism is no longer institutionalised and white people only are no longer in positions of both power and privilege over POC then we can consider that white people can be victims of racism. Oh but wait, that isn't happening anytime soon now is it.
Original post by fairy_a
Well. Until racism is no longer institutionalised and white people only are no longer in positions of both power and privilege over POC then we can consider that white people can be victims of racism. Oh but wait, that isn't happening anytime soon now is it.

I am guessing you mean MPs as being in positions of power?
Who puts these people there themselves or the electorate? If people have problems with the decisions MPs make then they themselves are to blame.

So the minority should have more power than the majority?

People who use the word privileged in my experience tends to be people who are looking for someone to blame for their own failures, so I recommend you look internally, everyone has to earn their way I believe the only true privileged people are people born rich however I don't go complaining they have an advantage.
Reply 262
Original post by sadly
Wow so apparently Wikipedia is a reliable source now in comparison to my "stanlinist" source? interesting.

Wikipedia is moderated, and for the most part has to be accurate
Reply 263
Original post by fairy_a
LOL white people want to be oppressed so bad. In order to be racist you need to be in a position of power and privilege. None of which POC have. Therefore it is simply not possible to be racist to a white person. Discriminatory and prejuduce sure. But racist? Impossible. Racism is an institution run by - you guessed it the white elite.
Please educate yourselves on race relations :smile:

Fact of the day: Asians earn more than Whites.
One word: apartheid.
Original post by IAmNero

They are oppressing me
I am guessing you mean MPs as being in positions of power?
Who puts these people there themselves or the electorate? If people have problems with the decisions MPs make then they themselves are to blame.

So the minority should have more power than the majority?

People who use the word privileged in my experience tends to be people who are looking for someone to blame for their own failures, so I recommend you look internally, everyone has to earn their way I believe the only true privileged people are people born rich however I don't go complaining they have an advantage.

No. Its not about the power MP's have. Racism goes way further than that...So it's the electorates fault that peers are mostly all old white men? So everyone should suffer the consequences of a government not everybody voted for? Anyway racism does exist in UK Politics today but im not even going to get into that.

The power and privilege I'm referring to is that which has existed since the beginning of time. It is a never ending cycle which is passed on from generation to generation in terms of nepotism and institutionalised racism. How are POC able to progress in a society which belives they are less than. Racism is a tool of oppression used by those in positions of power so are therefore privileged in that regard. The difference between white people and POC is opportunity. Opportunities which are perhaps given to white people by white people due to institutionalised racism which undoubtedly exists.. Surely this means white people are more priveleged in that sense? POC can't just change the colour of their skin as they please. I think youre confusing institutionalised racism with meritocracy.
Original post by IAmNero

I'm sorry but so..?
Original post by fairy_a
No. Its not about the power MP's have. Racism goes way further than that...So it's the electorates fault that peers are mostly all old white men? So everyone should suffer the consequences of a government not everybody voted for? Anyway racism does exist in UK Politics today but im not even going to get into that.

The power and privilege I'm referring to is that which has existed since the beginning of time. It is a never ending cycle which is passed on from generation to generation in terms of nepotism and institutionalised racism. How are POC able to progress in a society which belives they are less than. Racism is a tool of oppression used by those in positions of power so are therefore privileged in that regard. The difference between white people and POC is opportunity. Opportunities which are perhaps given to white people by white people due to institutionalised racism which undoubtedly exists.. Surely this means white people are more priveleged in that sense? POC can't just change the colour of their skin as they please. I think youre confusing institutionalised racism with meritocracy.

So when Egyptians where in power were black people oppressed?
There is no difference in opportunity if there was then that would be illegal as the big oppressive white people have passed laws to stop it.

Maybe the reason the electorate is mostly white is because the country is mostly white?
What is the alternative a government run by the minority of people.
You can't just say it exists then say I'm not going to go into it as a argument.
POC are secretly pulling the strings behind the picture but I'm not even going to go into it you just have to accept that as fact
Original post by fairy_a

How are POC able to progress in a society which belives they are less than.
Same way people from a work class background can progress despite also being seen as less.

Original post by fairy_a
The difference between white people and POC is opportunity.

What about minority white groups?

Original post by fairy_a
Opportunities which are perhaps given to white people by white people due to institutionalised racism which undoubtedly exists.. Surely this means white people are more priveleged in that sense?

What about opportunities given to S. Asians by S. Asians for the same reason?

Original post by fairy_a
POC can't just change the colour of their skin as they please.

Nobody can, not just PoC.

Original post by fairy_a

Racism will only vanish when positions of power are exclusively held by non-whites?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fairy_a
I think youre confusing institutionalised racism with meritocracy.

You claimed racism is an institution, so institutionalised racism must be an institutionalised institution, surely? Isn't that a tautology?
So when Egyptians where in power were black people oppressed?
There is no difference in opportunity if there was then that would be illegal as the big oppressive white people have passed laws to stop it.

Maybe the reason the electorate is mostly white is because the country is mostly white?
What is the alternative a government run by the minority of people.
You can't just say it exists then say I'm not going to go into it as a argument.
POC are secretly pulling the strings behind the picture but I'm not even going to go into it you just have to accept that as fact

LOL ok but people of colour are still being discriminated against? Nope but the government should be representative of the population - which it isnt. But I don't quite think thats because POC don't put themselves forward but I guess thats what you think? Why is it that the POC that are in Parliament made to feel like they don't belong i.e. in the case of a black MP being told 'cleaners cant use the lift'
I'll be honest, the fact that you don't believe racism is an institution and if you genuinely believe that POC have equal opportunity and are treated the same as white people then you are part of the problem.
Original post by fairy_a
LOL ok but people of colour are still being discriminated against? Nope but the government should be representative of the population - which it isnt. But I don't quite think thats because POC don't put themselves forward but I guess thats what you think? Why is it that the POC that are in Parliament made to feel like they don't belong i.e. in the case of a black MP being told 'cleaners cant use the lift'
I'll be honest, the fact that you don't believe racism is an institution and if you genuinely believe that POC have equal opportunity and are treated the same as white people then you are part of the problem.

Personally I think people with a victim complex like you are the problem if you tell someone over and over they can't do something chances are they won't do it, so maybe instead of saying oh they can't do this and that you should start encouraging them to actually get up and do it.
Personally I think people with a victim complex like you are the problem if you tell someone over and over they can't do something chances are they won't do it, so maybe instead of saying oh they can't do this and that you should start encouraging them to actually get up and do it.

Haha cute. Im the one with a victim complex ok..? Whilst claiming that white people can be victims of racism. Not saying they can't. I'm saying the system will not allow them to.
Original post by fairy_a
Haha cute. Im the one with a victim complex ok..? Whilst claiming that white people can be victims of racism. Not saying they can't. I'm saying the system will not allow them to.

That basically says I'm not saying they can't but they can't.

There is a difference between me saying white people can be victims of racism and you saying all POC are victims of racism so shouldn't bother trying as they wont succeed.
Original post by fairy_a
Comparing the working class to POC is actually quite pathetic seeing the working class struggles can be overcome. Institutionalised racism? Not so easy.

What about them..?

If opportunities are being denied to POC are they wrong wrong for creating their own?

Ok but POC are discriminated against on a disproportionate scale but yet racism is experienced by white people by a system established by white people? Boo hoo

Racism will clearly never be vanished but if you want to talk about it like that then it will vanish when POC are given equal opportunity and are not victims of institutionalised racism 😊

If POC are creating their own opportunities why is it wrong for others to create their own?
If POC are creating their own opportunities why is it wrong for others to create their own?

They wouldn't need to create opportunities of their own if they were given out fairly and not based on colour..
Original post by fairy_a
They wouldn't need to create opportunities of their own if they were given out fairly and not based on colour..

That same argument could be used in reverse.
Absolutely!
That same argument could be used in reverse.

LOL you clearly don't understand. Read into institutionalised racism and race relations.
Have a good weekend 💋

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending