The Student Room Group

Why does the media depict intersex people as transsexuals?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Philbert
Why's that then? If you're not willing to consider and debate different viewpoints, why did you participate in this thread?

If gender is a social construct explain the differences in animals between genders
Being transgender means you identify with a gender that is different to the gender you were assigned at birth. Not all intersex conditions are discovered when a baby is born and babies with 'ambiguous genitalia' often (wrongly) undergo medical intervention to push them into one of the two accepted boxes of 'male' and 'female'. Some intersex people feel like being intersex means they do not feel like the concepts of being cis or trans are applicable to them. However, other intersex people do feel that either of those terms can be used to describe their gender. Intersex people who identify with a gender that is different to their assigned gender are definitely able to consider themselves trans if they feel that describe their personal experience.
Reply 22
That's known as intersex. I don't think it's medically considerd a different sex, but I could be wrong. I don't think it's possible to have completely separate and fully formed male and female reproductive systems. It's usually somewhere between male and female genitals e.g. a very enlarged clitoris or small penis and internal testes.

I believe it is but only in around .25% of cases
Original post by joecphillips
If gender is a social construct explain the differences in animals between genders

As far as we are aware, other animals are not sapient and therefore have no concept of gender. Most animals have male and female sexes, sometimes they are hermaphrodites and sometimes they can change their sexes (sequential hermaphroditism) in response to environmental conditions or a lack of one sex.
Original post by nrb17
not for people with intersex conditions. They can't be transsexual because they are both male and female. You can't transition to something you were always genetically. That's what irks me. There was a movie out about a historical figure who was intersex who got treatment for it and they depicted as if she was transitioning from male to female. When she was just getting treated for a condition she happened to have.

I'm guessing you're talking about Lili Elbe in The Danish Gir?

If I recall, yes she was actually intersex. But she was assigned male at birth and identified as a woman, which is pretty much the definition of transgender. She received surgery to make her body match the way she felt it should have been.
Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender. Usually, male = man and female = woman.

Physically, most people are male or female, but there are cases where people have some sort of mixture between male and female genitals, or their genitals don't "match" their chromosomes.

Transgender isn't a separate gender or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.

You can change your legal sex (i.e. the sex stated on you passport),which I suppose is where the term "transsexual" came from, but not your genetic sex. Most transgender people change their legal sex.

That is wrong.

Gender is a largely social construct, but has biological bases as well.
Original post by XcitingStuart
That is wrong.

Gender is a largely social construct, but has biological bases as well.

Such as?
Reply 27
That's known as intersex. I don't think it's medically considerd a different sex, but I could be wrong. I don't think it's possible to have completely separate and fully formed male and female reproductive systems. It's usually somewhere between male and female genitals e.g. a very enlarged clitoris or small penis and internal testes.

the individual I'm talking about had ovaries and male genitalia. So they had both male and female reproductive organs yet they glossed over it.
Reply 28
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Being transgender means you identify with a gender that is different to the gender you were assigned at birth. Not all intersex conditions are discovered when a baby is born and babies with 'ambiguous genitalia' often (wrongly) undergo medical intervention to push them into one of the two accepted boxes of 'male' and 'female'. Some intersex people feel like being intersex means they do not feel like the concepts of being cis or trans are applicable to them. However, other intersex people do feel that either of those terms can be used to describe their gender. Intersex people who identify with a gender that is different to their assigned gender are definitely able to consider themselves trans if they feel that describe their personal experience.

it has nothing to do with how someone feels. A person born female can not be a transwoman because she was already born a female. Same applies for anyone who is intersex.
Reply 29
I'm guessing you're talking about Lili Elbe in The Danish Gir?

If I recall, yes she was actually intersex. But she was assigned male at birth and identified as a woman, which is pretty much the definition of transgender. She received surgery to make her body match the way she felt it should have been.

No it's not. Because she was born female. Transgender is being a biological sex and identifying as the opposite sex. She was born female therefore she can't transition to something she was already born. Just because her doctors didn't diagnos her at birth does not mean she was not born female. She was born female therefore depicting her as a man transitioning as a woman is a blatant lie and basically they did it just to appease a community but the story never took place and isn't true. As what she was suffering from was an intersex condition it also said she looked very feminine naturally not an issue transwomen deal with. They deal with having issue with looking too masculine.,. They have the opposite issue. They get beat up for dressing like women. She got beat up for dressing like a man. Because society recognized she was not a man. For obvious reasons. She had ovaries. I mean what man has ovaries? Seriously.... Sure she struggled because of her condition. But that doesn't make mean she was transgender. Of which she never identified as. She dealt with society's expectation that everyone is that is male looks a certain way and everyone who is female looks a certain way. She ended up in the middle therefore many of her issues were caused by her condition. If she had been born female only she'd have completely matched. And in a sense she matched her body since she was mentally female and physically female. The only thing was she also happened to have an intersex condition. That's very different from being a fully biological male and no indication of at all being of the female sex. Yet identifying as female. You can't really feel female unless you are one imo. Lilli was a female therefore why she felt like one explained it in itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nrb17
it has nothing to do with how someone feels. A person born female can not be a transwoman because she was already born a female. Same applies for anyone who is intersex.

Original post by nrb17
No it's not. Because she was born female. Transgender is being a biological sex and identifying as the opposite sex. She was born female therefore she can't transition to something she was already born. Just because her doctors didn't diagnos her at birth does not mean she was not born female. She was born female therefore depicting her as a man transitioning as a woman is a blatant lie and basically they did it just to appease a community but the story never took place and isn't true. As what she was suffering from was an intersex condition it also said she looked very feminine naturally not an issue transwomen deal with. They deal with having issue with looking too masculine.,. They have the opposite issue. They get beat up for dressing like women. She got beat up for dressing like a man. Because society recognized she was not a man. For obvious reasons. She had ovaries. I mean what man has ovaries? Seriously.... Sure she struggled because of her condition. But that doesn't make mean she was transgender. Of which she never identified as. She dealt with society's expectation that everyone is that is male looks a certain way and everyone who is female looks a certain way. She ended up in the middle therefore many of her issues were caused by her condition. If she had been born female only she'd have completely matched. And in a sense she matched her body since she was mentally female and physically female. The only thing was she also happened to have an intersex condition. That's very different from being a fully biological male and no indication of at all being of the female sex. Yet identifying as female. You can't really feel female unless you are one imo. Lilli was a female therefore why she felt like one explained it in itself.

You seem to be confused about what intersex is.

Being transgender means you identify with a gender different to that you were assigned at birth. Not all intersex people identify as trans, but some do - and that's totally legitimate. Erasing the fact someone was intersex (which I haven't seen confirmed with Lili Elbe but I have seen many articles on the internet and a quick search says she is rumoured to have had Kleinfelter's Syndrome) is never acceptable but being intersex does not mean you cannot identify as trans if your assigned gender is not your gender.

You've said some very cissexist stuff here. I know several men who have ovaries. Because trans men exist too.
Reply 31
You seem to be confused about what intersex is.

Being transgender means you identify with a gender different to that you were assigned at birth. Not all intersex people identify as trans, but some do - and that's totally legitimate. Erasing the fact someone was intersex (which I haven't seen confirmed with Lili Elbe but I have seen many articles on the internet and a quick search says she is rumoured to have had Kleinfelter's Syndrome) is never acceptable but being intersex does not mean you cannot identify as trans if your assigned gender is not your gender.

You've said some very cissexist stuff here. I know several men who have ovaries. Because trans men exist too.

Yeah but lilli was not a transman and likening her to a transman only prove my oint that she was biologically female from the beginning. Therefore not transgender. And no she didn't have klinefelter's syndrome. She had ovaries. She actually said it herself. People with klinefelter are born female too. But they don't have ovaries normally.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/danish-girl/

And no if you raise a cisgirl as a boy she's not a transwoman if she decides to live as a woman.

It's more like with being transgender having the body of sex completely ad having the mind of the opposite.
Original post by nrb17
Yeah but lilli was not a transman and likening her to a transman only prove my oint that she was biologically female from the beginning. Therefore not transgender. And no she didn't have klinefelter's syndrome. She had ovaries. She actually said it herself. People with klinefelter are born female too. But they don't have ovaries normally.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/danish-girl/

And no if you raise a cisgirl as a boy she's not a transwoman if she decides to live as a woman.

It's more like with being transgender having the body of sex completely ad having the mind of the opposite.

I'm not saying she was a trans man. I'm saying that many men do have ovaries.

I read that page during my short search. They repeatedly misgendered Lili Elbe and the referencing is ridiculously awful.

I feel unable to talk about being intersex as I am not but as far as I know a lot of intersex people do not feel they are 'biologically female' or 'biologically male'. But of course if anyone who is intersex wants to correct me on that then I'm sorry I've misunderstood.

But you are completely wrong about being trans. The trans community focus on gender rather than sex because although many trans people desire (and go through) medical transition this is not a requirement to be trans and often trans people who do medically transition do not want to 'fully' medically transition.
Reply 33
I'm not saying she was a trans man. I'm saying that many men do have ovaries.

I read that page during my short search. They repeatedly misgendered Lili Elbe and the referencing is ridiculously awful.

I feel unable to talk about being intersex as I am not but as far as I know a lot of intersex people do not feel they are 'biologically female' or 'biologically male'. But of course if anyone who is intersex wants to correct me on that then I'm sorry I've misunderstood.

But you are completely wrong about being trans. The trans community focus on gender rather than sex because although many trans people desire (and go through) medical transition this is not a requirement to be trans and often trans people who do medically transition do not want to 'fully' medically transition.

actually many do and many have issues with their bodies being so opposite to them spiritually.

And it does not really matter. The point is lilli had ovaries and was biologically female too. Not a fully biologically male. And her issues were not the same in the sense that she was not perceived as male. She was perceived as a female in male clothing.
Original post by nrb17
actually many do and many have issues with their bodies being so opposite to them spiritually.

And it does not really matter. The point is lilli had ovaries and was biologically female too. Not a fully biologically male. And her issues were not the same in the sense that she was not perceived as male. She was perceived as a female in male clothing.

Are you intersex and/or trans? Because you definitely have very little understanding of trans issues.
Reply 35
Are you intersex and/or trans? Because you definitely have very little understanding of trans issues.

I actually attract a lot of transwomen for some reason. I know a lot of them personally and have a few friends. I even went to their support groups regularly. They are not intersex. And nothing similar to intersex people. It's a quite obvious difference. Just like a transwoman is not the same as a ciswoman. Btw intersex women are in part ciswomen too.
Original post by nrb17
I actually attract a lot of transwomen for some reason. I know a lot of them personally and have a few friends. I even went to their support groups regularly. They are not intersex. And nothing similar to intersex people. It's a quite obvious difference. Just like a transwoman is not the same as a ciswoman. Btw intersex women are in part ciswomen too.

A women who was assigned male at birth and is also intersex may identify as trans if she feels that at least in part describes the way she experiences her gender. But she doesn't have to. Being transgender isn't automatically the same as being intersex. But being trans and being intersex are not mutually exclusive either.

As I am not intersex I don't have any ability to talk about the way intersex people in general feel about identifying as trans or cis. But as a non-binary person I can tell you that the way you are talking about being trans is not the way a lot of trans people feel.
Reply 37
No she can't. Do you know what the word trans means? It means being one specific sex yet feeling as though you're the opposite sex mentally. She was not biologically male only she was biologically female too which is why she had ovaries.

This is the definition. Whether you'd like to believe it or not

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/transgender?

A women who was assigned male at birth and is also intersex may identify as trans if she feels that at least in part describes the way she experiences her gender. But she doesn't have to. Being transgender isn't automatically the same as being intersex. But being trans and being intersex are not mutually exclusive either.

As I am not intersex I don't have any ability to talk about the way intersex people in general feel about identifying as trans or cis. But as a non-binary person I can tell you that the way you are talking about being trans is not the way a lot of trans people feel.
Original post by nrb17
As if it doesn't matter.

Gee, what an odd impression for the media to have.
Original post by nrb17
No she can't. Do you know what the word trans means? It means being one specific sex yet feeling as though you're the opposite sex mentally. She was not biologically male only she was biologically female too which is why she had ovaries.

This is the definition. Whether you'd like to believe it or not

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/transgender?

Since I am trans, yes I do know what trans means. However, you don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending