The Student Room Group

uni students - do you ever feel like theres too much to remember?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by john2054
Also try to make 100% attendance. I know having a family makes this more difficult, but this is even more a reason why it is important to have secure and reliable childcare arrangements in place, for when you need to study and at other times.

I also have a daughter and a wife, so i know about time management!

well i do mine online so i always make it when i need too except certain lecturecasts because the timing sometimes interferes with routine like the kids dinner time etc but there always recorded and i can email my tutor if i need too.
Ok. In that case i think that it is important that you always watch back to casts. I am doing a brick and mortar uni, and am coming to the end of a fifth year degree. This has been difficult. Can't your husband/partner, help you feed the sprogs? Or don't you have someone? xx
Reply 22
Ok. In that case i think that it is important that you always watch back to casts. I am doing a brick and mortar uni, and am coming to the end of a fifth year degree. This has been difficult. Can't your husband/partner, help you feed the sprogs? Or don't you have someone? xx

yea i always listen back and make notes and write down the important slides.
5 years?!? fu*k that! wasnt you doing arts or media or acting or something?
na his in the military and lives away, only ever back on the weekends.
Original post by shawtyb
yea i always listen back and make notes and write down the important slides.
5 years?!? fu*k that! wasnt you doing arts or media or acting or something?
na his in the military and lives away, only ever back on the weekends.

my degree is majoring in sociology and minor in theatre studies. I did single honours sociology for the first year and a half, but had to take on theatre at that point, because if i had continued on the trajectory i was going, i wouldn't have made it at all.

Try to keep up with the slides, even if it means midnight revision sessions. Welcom to the life of a student!

xx

ps the theatre is all theory, and quite a lot of english as well. no actual acting practicals (thank god)!!
Reply 24
my degree is majoring in sociology and minor in theatre studies. I did single honours sociology for the first year and a half, but had to take on theatre at that point, because if i had continued on the trajectory i was going, i wouldn't have made it at all.

Try to keep up with the slides, even if it means midnight revision sessions. Welcom to the life of a student!

xx

ps the theatre is all theory, and quite a lot of english as well. no actual acting practicals (thank god)!!

why wouldnt you have made it?
urgh i once got to sleeep at 3 and only had 2 hours sleep and then had to look after all 3 kids the day after on 2 hours sleep :frown:
oh thats crap! id expect pracitcals
Original post by shawtyb
urgh i once got to sleeep at 3 and only had 2 hours sleep and then had to look after all 3 kids the day after on 2 hours sleep :frown:

no it's actually good that it's only drama theory. I still have four hour drama lectures each week (minimum), just all this means is that i don't have to go up on stage at the end of the unit, to make a fool of myself. My topics have all been marked by assignment, and or presentation based. And despite getting a number of thirds (40% or ds), I have yet to fail a module, thank Jesus.

You will have to work extra with the children, but also the role of mother and knowledge that comes with it, can actually be converted if you are able to stick with the course to the end. Again good luck!
Original post by shawtyb

PS the reason why i was set for a fail, was because i was getting on quite badly with most of the faculty at the time, and believe it or not, relationships with your lecturers is key to getting a good grade. Or that is what i have discovered any way, at least??
Original post by TaintedLight
Maybe you need to go for a lesser relevant course (nurse or bachelor in arts) or maybe pursue a degree in a lower ranked university :smile:

you're so rude you piece of ****
Reply 28
no it's actually good that it's only drama theory. I still have four hour drama lectures each week (minimum), just all this means is that i don't have to go up on stage at the end of the unit, to make a fool of myself. My topics have all been marked by assignment, and or presentation based. And despite getting a number of thirds (40% or ds), I have yet to fail a module, thank Jesus.

You will have to work extra with the children, but also the role of mother and knowledge that comes with it, can actually be converted if you are able to stick with the course to the end. Again good luck!

whats drama theory? and thats ages! wow u must be bored in it. i hate going on stage, i dont speak well in front of people let alone acting. all my modules are by assignment too and thankfully iv not failed one yet either, close though. the highest iv got is 67.4 and lowest is 45.7 so i think im ok so far but this module im on now is threatening with a failure.
yea my plan is to stick to it. i dont want to come out the other end with upwards of 20k debt for no reason

PS the reason why i was set for a fail, was because i was getting on quite badly with most of the faculty at the time, and believe it or not, relationships with your lecturers is key to getting a good grade. Or that is what i have discovered any way, at least??

yea i can kinda understand that. iv had one tutor who was reluctant to give anyone more then a pass :/
Reply 29
Original post by yepthatsme
you're so rude you piece of ****

wasnt just me who thought it was rude then
Yep, I have a law and ethics module for engineering and there's so many case studies to remember. I hate essay based subjects.
Original post by shawtyb
whats drama theory? and thats ages! wow u must be bored in it. i hate going on stage, i dont speak well in front of people let alone acting. all my modules are by assignment too and thankfully iv not failed one yet either, close though. the highest iv got is 67.4 and lowest is 45.7 so i think im ok so far but this module im on now is threatening with a failure.
yea my plan is to stick to it. i dont want to come out the other end with upwards of 20k debt for no reason

yea i can kinda understand that. iv had one tutor who was reluctant to give anyone more then a pass :/

i got 37% for one essay last year, but it was the average of two essays, and i got 45% on the other one, so i just scraped a d pass (41%). Plus i have got a number of 70%+s, but for every first i have had i have had three times the number of ds (40%s). My aim is to get a 60% + overall for the degree (a 2.1), and if i can ace my dissertation, i think that this is within sight. But at the moment it is too close to call. x
Reply 32
Original post by hihihihihi
Yep, I have a law and ethics module for engineering and there's so many case studies to remember. I hate essay based subjects.

mine are all like this. its the reading that keeps building up :/

i got 37% for one essay last year, but it was the average of two essays, and i got 45% on the other one, so i just scraped a d pass (41%). Plus i have got a number of 70%+s, but for every first i have had i have had three times the number of ds (40%s). My aim is to get a 60% + overall for the degree (a 2.1), and if i can ace my dissertation, i think that this is within sight. But at the moment it is too close to call. x

that would have been a fail for me as 40% is pass mark.
iv only ever had a merit, very close to a distinction though or 70% if you like but i think you and me are on the same page classification wise.
Original post by shawtyb
mine are all like this. its the reading that keeps building up :/

that would have been a fail for me as 40% is pass mark.
iv only ever had a merit, very close to a distinction though or 70% if you like but i think you and me are on the same page classification wise.

yes i actually failed one essay, but because the unit was the average of the two essays, i was able to put in a lot of work in to the second one, and just scrape a pass overall!
Reply 34
yes i actually failed one essay, but because the unit was the average of the two essays, i was able to put in a lot of work in to the second one, and just scrape a pass overall!

only one? haha iv failed two so far but only just. dunno what happened on the first one (she was the tutor who didnt like giving anything bar a pass) and the second was on my finance module but my grades reflect how bad i am at finance. iv figured out this is my weak point.
Original post by shawtyb
i feel like my head is crammed with so much information (mostly from the text books) that its just making me feel the degree is useless because i just cant remember it all :frown:

Yes, especially where organic chemistry is concerned
Reply 36
makes me feel better knowing others feel the same!
do you ever sometimes feel the degree is pointless because of it?
Original post by shawtyb
makes me feel better knowing others feel the same!
do you ever sometimes feel the degree is pointless because of it?

Yes, although I know in my head that a chemistry degree is a well respected and valued subject to have a degree in, I do sometimes wonder if the endless reaction pathways and learning about what is basically applied molecular physics is worth £9000 a year as I see no practical application in half of what I learn about. Organic chemistry, fair enough, I can make stuff in the lab, but learning about the spin speeds of a C-C bond? LOLWUT
Reply 38
half of that totally confused me but i think i get what you mean haha,
alot of the content of my degree is area specific so alot of it wouldnt apply specifically to me as a future manager as businesses having departments so alot of the info im learning is about all the departments when in reality, half the stuff im learning would only apply to that specific department
Original post by shawtyb
half of that totally confused me but i think i get what you mean haha,
alot of the content of my degree is area specific so alot of it wouldnt apply specifically to me as a future manager as businesses having departments so alot of the info im learning is about all the departments when in reality, half the stuff im learning would only apply to that specific department

That was me talking chemistry c*** haha, I forget sometimes the average person is woefully under educated about science and chemistry in particular.

I suppose the advantage of learning about all the different departments in your course is at least that you are educated and prepared enough to be able to managed effectively in all business environments which in turn will enhance your career prospects to a potential employer, so at least from my own perspective, I wouldn't consider that wasted...

However, I still fail to see what possible use I could put the Arrhenius equation to in the lab, considering most complex calculations in science are done by computers nowadays anyway

Quick Reply

Latest