The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do Chemistry full A level and Biology full A level in one year?

I'm in my last year of sixth form doing 4 A levels and Welsh Baccalaureate. I applied for Midwifery, but I didn't get to any of my chosen universities, because I have no experience and I'm too young.
I am a rather A/B grade pupil. I am really determined and I love learning.
I decided to do Chem and Bio to hopefully apply for Pharmacy or Optometry, because the A-levels I'm doing right now would not get me to neither of those courses.
Did anyone do chem and bio in one year? How was it? Is it doable? I understand there will be lots of learning and practical experiments, but I'm really into science subjects.
Reply 1
Original post by vıolet
I'm in my last year of sixth form doing 4 A levels and Welsh Baccalaureate. I applied for Midwifery, but I didn't get to any of my chosen universities, because I have no experience and I'm too young.
I decided to do Chem and Bio to hopefully apply for Pharmacy or Optometry, because the A-levels I'm doing right now would not get me to neither of those courses.
Did anyone do chem and bio in one year? How was it? Is it doable? I understand there will be lots of learning and practical experiments, but I'm really into science subjects.

Have you thought about applying for a foundation year in science? You would learn all the A-level science content needed for your course, as well as a few undergrad stuff all in one year.
I'm sorry to hear you had no luck with Midwifery.

If that's what you really want to do, you're better off taking a year out, gaining some work experience (and being a year older) and reapply.

But if you're definitely sure you want to Optometry or Pharmacy, sure two full A Levels in a year is do-able - however it would be very very difficult because they are both content heavy subjects which require a lot of practice to get the hang of. I study both subjects and I have found it hard enough over the two years (and I'm an A/B student) to cover and be comfortable with everything. I would advise you to proceed with caution and really think about if it's worth doing - or if you would consider spending two years rather than a year doing those A Levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Bethaaaaany
I'm sorry to hear you had no luck with Midwifery.

If that's what you really want to do, you're better off taking a year out, gaining some work experience (and being a year older) and reapply.

But if you're definitely sure you want to Optometry or Pharmacy, sure two full A Levels in a year is do-able - however it would be very very difficult because they are both content heavy subjects which require a lot of practice to get the hang of. I study both subjects and I have found it hard enough over the two years (and I'm an A/B student) to cover and be comfortable with everything. I would advise you to proceed with caution and really think about if it's worth doing - or if you would consider spending two years rather than a year doing those A Levels.

I'm already doing A level Science and there's tons of writing and researching. The majority of units are highly concentrated on Chemistry and Biology. I'm predicted Distinction in this (A grade).
I'm going for an open day and interview to a local college, and I'm also going to go to an open day at a local uni to find out whether what I'm doing is worth and if they would consider me.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
Have you thought about applying for a foundation year in science? You would learn all the A-level science content needed for your course, as well as a few undergrad stuff all in one year.

Good idea, however, the nearest uni that does science foundation is Bristol. Anyway, I'm already doing Science A level, so that would be just few extras to it.
Original post by vıolet
I'm already doing A level Science and there's tons of writing and researching. The majority of units are highly concentrated on Chemistry and Biology. I'm predicted Distinction in this (A grade).
I'm going for an open day and interview to a local college, and I'm also going to go to an open day at a local uni to find out whether what I'm doing is worth and if they would consider me.

With respect, single science A Levels are far more detailed (and I would say far more difficult) than A Level Science as a whole and so I wouldn't rely on your success in that meaning you'll find studying biology and chemistry in one year easy. Saying that, I'm sure that it has provided you with a solid basis that will probably help with the basics of biology and chemistry.

Sounds like you have a good plan in your head - good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by vıolet

Have you asked if your college would let you stay on and do this next year - they may not be prepared to keep you at all if they can't get funding and they may not be able to accommodate your plan even if you can get funding. Taking Science A levels as a private candidate is very difficult.

Quick Reply