The Student Room Group

Boyfriend didn't reply to my first time staying 'I love you'

Ive been seeing my boyfriend for almost 6 months, we've been official for 2.5. We're both mid twenties. Today I told him I loved him for the first time (after a really good intense sex session.) He didnt say it back, but he kissed me passionately for about 5 minutes after. We didn't mention it again but it wasnt awkard between us.

Any idea what this means?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Ive been seeing my boyfriend for almost 6 months, we've been official for 2.5. We're both mid twenties. Today I told him I loved him for the first time (after a really good intense sex session.) He didnt say it back, but he kissed me passionately for about 5 minutes after. We didn't mention it again but it wasnt awkard between us.

It could just mean that he doesnt feel ready to say it yet.
How u can bang someone u don't love confuses me
The exact same thing happened to me with my ex girlfriend.

From a male perspective, post-sex both males and females are flooded with hormones which I think can sometimes distort how you feel about somebody. (Quite a few times after a one night stand I've felt "Wow, this girl is amazing, I really connect with her":wink:. I hesitated because I wasn't sure if she was saying it with genuine passion and meaning, or because she was just overwhelmed with feel-good hormones. I didn't say it back. I didn't say anything, I just kissed her. It was really early on in our relationship (maybe 4 months?) so I was a little bit scared by the fact she was telling me she loved me.

But if you've been together for 2.5 years?? Maybe he's not at a place where he feels ready to say it. And I think that can be a good thing :smile:
Reply 4
I wouldn't worry about that at all!

"actions speak louder than words," the passionate kiss was his reply! Guys don't tend to be as vocal as us when it comes to feelings and stuff. He might not feel complete comfortable saying the words yet, or he may not have even realised it was the first time you said it! My boyfriend wasn't even comfortable with us referring to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend for the first four months.. That's just because he was being cautious! Everything will be fine, trust me :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MountKimbie
The exact same thing happened to me with my ex girlfriend.

From a male perspective, post-sex both males and females are flooded with hormones which I think can sometimes distort how you feel about somebody. (Quite a few times after a one night stand I've felt "Wow, this girl is amazing, I really connect with her":wink:. I hesitated because I wasn't sure if she was saying it with genuine passion and meaning, or because she was just overwhelmed with feel-good hormones. I didn't say it back. I didn't say anything, I just kissed her. It was really early on in our relationship (maybe 4 months?) so I was a little bit scared by the fact she was telling me she loved me.

But if you've been together for 2.5 years?? Maybe he's not at a place where he feels ready to say it. And I think that can be a good thing :smile:

2.5 months, not years. From the male perspective and havng been in that situation, is it not awkward that ive told him? He wouldnt feel pressured now?
2.5 months, not years. From the male perspective and havng been in that situation, is it not awkward that ive told him? He wouldnt feel pressured now?

It's probably, in a way, better he didn't say anything. If he felt pressured, he might of just said it back out of guilt and that's not good. So take the silence as a good thing. Maybe he might of felt it was a bit cheesy to say it back in that manner?

But kissing you passionately is a good sign :wink:
Reply 7
He's just not ready to say it yet, that's all.
He isn't ready.

Either 1) Break up with him, or 2) Wait till he's ready to say it back.
Reply 9
Ill wait until hes ready.

He doesn't 'love' you. Yet.

Clearly he is fond of you.

Seems a bit immature for someone in their mid twenties to say nothing in response.

But if everything else is good then no need to worry at this stage.

:wink:
Original post by stefano865

Clearly he is fond of you.

Seems a bit immature for someone in their mid twenties to say nothing in response.

But if everything else is good then no need to worry at this stage.

I think he played it perfectly with a kiss. How else would he respond to I love you, if he doesn't feel it?
Original post by xobeauty
I think he played it perfectly with a kiss. How else would he respond to I love you, if he doesn't feel it?

Nah. :tongue:

He would have said it.

But the kiss clearly shows his fondness for her.

Love is the next step. :wink:

If he kissed you passionately it probably means he loves you back but didn't feel the need to verbalise it
Nah. :tongue:

He would have said it.

But the kiss clearly shows his fondness for her.

Love is the next step. :wink:

Read my post again please.
Original post by Brutum Fulmen
He isn't ready.

Either 1) Break up with him

What?!

Not necessarily? There is more to intimacy than words.

Agreed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends. You said it he heard and if its after 3.5 years then you have something going on. Ftom his perspective he might not be ready or he just might find it awkward saying it. Some people say it too easily or place differing levels of importnace and significance to it. You can ignore it and carry on or you cna talk about it, you know him better than us. You seem in a good place and he might have real reasons as to why he isnt ready. He will say it when he's ready
Reply 17
He doesn't love you after 6 months lol you guys not that close clearly.
Read my post again please.

No need to be patronising. :colonhash:

I'll stick by what I said.

I'm not being harsh but if he felt it he would say it.
Reply 19
Anyone can kiss, anyone can say those words, but it's easier to kiss properly than it is to say those words properly. He didn't say it. Why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending