The Student Room Group

Why do people swipe right and then not make an effort to talk?

In the last two days I've been matched with two men on an app called bumble. At first I wasn't sure if the app was buggy because my first message was delivered and never read. When I received a notification to say I was matched with another guy, I read his profile and asked him a question based on this. A couple minutes later I saw that he had read my message.

From there I knew I wasn't going to get a response. It makes no sense to me. I wouldn't swipe right if I had no intention to get to know someone.

Scroll to see replies

scared to say the wrong thing, he wants to make sure he says something interesting enough to keep you interested
Reply 2
Maybe they swipe right on a lot of people and are more picky because of that.
Original post by Anonymous
In the last two days I've been matched with two men on an app called bumble. At first I wasn't sure if the app was buggy because my first message was delivered and never read. When I received a notification to say I was matched with another guy, I read his profile and asked him a question based on this. A couple minutes later I saw that he had read my message.

From there I knew I wasn't going to get a response. It makes no sense to me. I wouldn't swipe right if I had no intention to get to know someone.

Most guys on these apps will swipe right on every single user without even looking at their profile. It's simply easier to do it that way and maximise your chances of having somebody match with you than it is to be selective.

It's only after they've got a match that they bother looking at them properly to decide whether or not they're interested.
Tbh most guys swipe right to tons of girls' profiles automatically without actually bothering to determine if they're actually attracted to them or read their profiles. This is because compared to girls (who get to be more picky) guys are at a disadvantage in online dating and therefore dont get as much room to be selective from the start. So the selectiveness comes afterwards.

When I still used tinder (and bumble) I'd just swipe right to most girls. I dont bother reading their profile unless they match with me. Being selective pre-match is literally redundant so I only read profiles of girls after they match with me, then I decide if I find them attractive or not.

Personally, even if I wasn't attracted to a girl I always reply to messages. I just think it's rude not to.
Reply 5
Try being a man, you may get hundreds of matches but only the fat girl at the bottom will say hi. :tongue:

I've heard Bumble referred to as the "feminist tinder". Is this true? If so how?
Reply 6
scared to say the wrong thing, he wants to make sure he says something interesting enough to keep you interested

Lol I doubt it. On bumble the girl has to make the first move. So I've started a conversation, all he has to do is reply accordingly...or not
Reply 7
Original post by whorace
Maybe they swipe right on a lot of people and are more picky because of that.

Original post by mackemforever
Most guys on these apps will swipe right on every single user without even looking at their profile. It's simply easier to do it that way and maximise your chances of having somebody match with you than it is to be selective.

It's only after they've got a match that they bother looking at them properly to decide whether or not they're interested.

I didn't actualky think people did that. I would dread having tons of matches then having to go through them, but I guess it weeds out the ones you like that look off that probably have no interest in. Tonight I am going to do a little experiment.

Guys swipe right on every girl, even girls they dont fancy. That's how they maximise chances of getting something.
(edited 8 years ago)

lol this is completely the wrong answer. if this was a test, you would have failed
Original post by insert-username
Tbh most guys swipe right to tons of girls' profiles automatically without actually bothering to determine if they're actually attracted to them or read their profiles. This is because compared to girls (who get to be more picky) guys are at a disadvantage in online dating and therefore dont get as much room to be selective from the start. So the selectiveness comes afterwards.

When I still used tinder (and bumble) I'd just swipe right to most girls. I dont bother reading their profile unless they match with me. Being selective pre-match is literally redundant so I only read profiles of girls after they match with me, then I decide if I find them attractive or not.

Personally, even if I wasn't attracted to a girl I always reply to messages. I just think it's rude not to.

Ok I understand now. I tend to pounder profiles and pictures first and then decide which way to swipe. But there really is no harm in testing this out. If i don't like the person then no worries because the ball is in my court. I have been polite in the past however this is kinda leading on people in the world of dating when you really think about it. So i understand not being everyone's cup of tea, I just assumed people swiped right when they like someone.
Original post by Jebedee
Try being a man, you may get hundreds of matches but only the fat girl at the bottom will say hi. :tongue:

I've heard Bumble referred to as the "feminist tinder". Is this true? If so how?

Looool sorry that made me laugh. I hear though. There's alot of pressure for men to initiate. However on bumble the woman is in control in the beginning, she has 24 hours to make contact with a match or it disappears. Even if the guy wants to start a conversation he can't, he has to wait for the woman.
Looool sorry that made me laugh. I hear though. There's alot of pressure for men to initiate. However on bumble the woman is in control in the beginning, she has 24 hours to make contact with a match or it disappears. Even if the guy wants to start a conversation he can't, he has to wait for the woman.

I can imagine how the app is already. Maybe if you are a 11/10 model with a house, sportscar and a dental plan you'll get one message a week.
What the hell is bumble? Use tinder ya dingus

Original post by mackemforever

So they're being picky either way?

lmao the heck
Original post by Jebedee
I can imagine how the app is already. Maybe if you are a 11/10 model with a house, sportscar and a dental plan you'll get one message a week.

Are you calling me ugly?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
What the hell is bumble? Use tinder ya dingus

So they're being picky either way?

lmao the heck

The tinder app is buggy. I would get matches and then the app would stop working. It didn't allow me to send messages and from the looks of the reviews nothing has changed.
Are you calling me ugly?

If you think anything under 11 out of 10 is ugly I'd more likely call you deluded than ugly.
Original post by Jebedee

dental plan?? eh?
Go to actual social events, it's more worth your time
Original post by Jebedee

This.

The average match rate on Tinder for men is 1%, and that's before taking into account that women will often swipe right on a guy but wont reply when he messages, or will reply at first but then will eventually stop replying.

For the average guy, online dating services are a sisyphean struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending