The Student Room Group

Rejecting offer this year, reapply to better universities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy®
It is mainly that i want to go to a better university. However also with this uni that applies. If I had an offer from one of the said universities I would've firmed straight away.

It makes no difference with medicine, you've been told that. Why would you sacrifice your place, which you may not get again, on something that doesn't even matter.
Reply 41
Original post by Twinpeaks
It makes no difference with medicine, you've been told that. Why would you sacrifice your place, which you may not get again, on something that doesn't even matter.

It matters to me whether I enjoy my 5 years in a university and area I like with people I get on with or not.
Reply 42
Really intrigued as to which low-ranking university this is where everyone enjoys opera!
Would be worth getting feedback on why you were rejected from UCL if you haven't already, to see if it's something you could improve on during a gap year.
Reply 43
It matters to me whether I enjoy my 5 years in a university and area I like with people I get on with or not.

So incredibly naive but if that's what you want then roll the dice.
Don't be too surprised if next year you don't have any offers. Medicine is ridiculous for competition. If I wanted to do medicine and had an offer I wouldn't care where I studied, because it doesn't matter where you graduate in medicine.
Most "top" schools require 6+ A* minimum GCSE's, you get thrown in the bin immediately without them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by thad33
So incredibly naive but if that's what you want then roll the dice.
Don't be too surprised if next year you don't have any offers. Medicine is ridiculous for competition. If I wanted to do medicine and had an offer I wouldn't care where I studied, because it doesn't matter where you graduate in medicine.
Most "top" schools require 6+ A* minimum GCSE's, you get thrown in the bin immediately without them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a lie because I had an interview with UCl this year.
How is it naive?
I do want to do medicine but I would want to do medicine in London really and somewhere I enjoy. If I had the choice between London or my own now I would chose London but my dilemma is is it worth taking a risk in reapplying to a university I want as I am not looking forward to it this year.
Reply 45
Original post by MMS2015
Really intrigued as to which low-ranking university this is where everyone enjoys opera!
Would be worth getting feedback on why you were rejected from UCL if you haven't already, to see if it's something you could improve on during a gap year.

I'm taking a punt at Southampton. I've heard they're pretty hippy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
That's a lie because I had an interview with UCl this year.
How is it naive?
I do want to do medicine but I would want to do medicine in London really and somewhere I enjoy. If I had the choice between London or my own now I would chose London but my dilemma is is it worth taking a risk in reapplying to a university I want as I am not looking forward to it this year.

It isn't a lie. Cardiff have a cut off around 25 every year, which is about 8A*. Birmingham is similar. As is Oxford, Cambridge etc etc. Some are more lenient no doubt but you're risking throwing away a definite place for a maybe at a very small number of "better" universities, that is naive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by thad33
I'm taking a punt at Southampton. I've heard they're pretty hippy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't resist investigating further; appears to be BSMS.
Reply 48
Original post by MMS2015

How'd you work that one out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by MMS2015

No I have commented on both Exeter and BSMS and the one I'm talking about isn't either
Confused - what do I need to do ?
Original post by MMS2015

They're a group of friends applying and using one profile apparently, so I don't know about that. Plus they said they haven't posted on the thread, they have on the Brighton one. If you're confident of your grades and reapplying, go for it. I'd personally advise against that - the chances of getting into medicine are already quite low, you're lucky having an offer. While you've heard what other people say about the uni, you don't know what it's like until you're there. I know of one girl in my school who had an offer and reapplied! We all thought she was insane, but she got a Cambridge offer in January. So it can work out, it's just risky.
Reply 52
Squish, I like you mate but honestly stop with this thread.

You've been told an answer, honestly it comes down to you.

If you think you're clever enough and have thre people skills to get into a better uni, then why do you need this thread at all?

The kinda people who go to the best schools aren't the kinda peeps who are agonising to strangers on the Internet as to if they should try.

So in he kindest way, suck it up and make your choice. Either way you have all the answers you're gonna get and going on with this thread after this is just ego serving; so don't be "that guy".

Best of luck either way mate.
Reply 53
Original post by thad33
It isn't a lie. Cardiff have a cut off around 25 every year, which is about 8A*. Birmingham is similar. As is Oxford, Cambridge etc etc. Some are more lenient no doubt but you're risking throwing away a definite place for a maybe at a very small number of "better" universities, that is naive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mean to direct my post at other universities like them, basically London unis
Please do not even consider declining your offer. Many heartbroken excellent candidates receive rejections from all four of their choices. There is absolutely no guarantee that you would be lucky enough to receive an offer from a UK university for Medicine next year or indeed, ever again.
Reply 55
Original post by Torel
Squish, I like you mate but honestly stop with this thread.

You've been told an answer, honestly it comes down to you.

If you think you're clever enough and have thre people skills to get into a better uni, then why do you need this thread at all?

The kinda people who go to the best schools aren't the kinda peeps who are agonising to strangers on the Internet as to if they should try.

So in he kindest way, suck it up and make your choice. Either way you have all the answers you're gonna get and going on with this thread after this is just ego serving; so don't be "that guy".

Best of luck either way mate.

what do u mean I'm agonising strangers, no one is obliged to comment on this thread so i am simply asking a question.

I posted a thread asking people's opinion on whether taking the risk is worth it. That's all.

Carrying on with this thread is not ego serving at all, what is their to fill my ego with? I am just an account on TSR so I think an account on TSRs ego is pretty insignificant and also how am I fueling my ego anyway? Talking about taking the risk isn't doing anything for my online ego.

I can carry on the discussion and u don't have to come and look on it so you can make this thread irrelevant to you and not bother with it if you are somehow getting offended.
Reply 56
Original post by Wise blackbird
Please do not even consider declining your offer. Many heartbroken excellent candidates receive rejections from all four of their choices. There is absolutely no guarantee that you would be lucky enough to receive an offer from a UK university for Medicine next year or indeed, ever again.

I understand that and I appreciate my offer a lot and I don't mean to put down it, for some people this offer could mean more to them then a offer from a university I would prefer but that's not my problem.
My issue is I don't think I will enjoy the five years at this university and whether applying again through a gap year which I also want would be beneficial to me because taking the chance for 5 years of me enjoying my time there seems to be worth it at the moment but then again the uncertainty is the downside.
Reply 57
what do u mean I'm agonising strangers, no one is obliged to comment on this thread so i am simply asking a question.

I posted a thread asking people's opinion on whether taking the risk is worth it. That's all.

Carrying on with this thread is not ego serving at all, what is their to fill my ego with? I am just an account on TSR so I think an account on TSRs ego is pretty insignificant and also how am I fueling my ego anyway? Talking about taking the risk isn't doing anything for my online ego.

I can carry on the discussion and u don't have to come and look on it so you can make this thread irrelevant to you and not bother with it if you are somehow getting offended.

Squish maybe you should try the reading comprehension of that bit again.

"Agonising to strangers", not "agonising strangers."

They mean completely different things.

Also it serves your ego for the following reason:

As this is how you sound right now:

Hey guys I got into medical school but I don't like it as everyone is so different from me (despite the fact your class will have at least 100 people in it from all walks of life). I think in gonna be miserable and I want to go to a better school (despite the fact that for medicine their aren't really better schools).

Should I just reject it and apply for the better schools next year?

cue loads of people giving you your options.

Cue you finding faults with all of it.

Cue me pointing this out to you and pointing out that the people who get in to those top schools you're talking about don't sit about on a forum asking others strangers to help then make a life altering change.

So yeh at that point it starts to come across as either "tell me I'm awesome and ill get In" or "I'm too awesome for where I am now".

So you have the answers squish. As I said.

I don't know what more you want from this thread.

As I said.
Reply 58
You're being ridiculously stupid. There are people with AAAA with impeccable GCSE grades who don't have any medicine offers despite all their hard work and preparations while you contemplate taking a gap year, to reapply to a 'prestigious' uni. All universities that do medicine are good, and you will find boring people everywhere, because honestly you seem to attract them with your ********.

What is your definition of "prestigious"?
Reply 59
Original post by Torel
Squish maybe you should try the reading comprehension of that bit again.

"Agonising to strangers", not "agonising strangers."

They mean completely different things.

Also it serves your ego for the following reason:

As this is how you sound right now:

Hey guys I got into medical school but I don't like it as everyone is so different from me (despite the fact your class will have at least 100 people in it from all walks of life). I think in gonna be miserable and I want to go to a better school (despite the fact that for medicine their aren't really better schools).

Should I just reject it and apply for the better schools next year?

cue loads of people giving you your options.

Cue you finding faults with all of it.

Cue me pointing this out to you and pointing out that the people who get in to those top schools you're talking about don't sit about on a forum asking others strangers to help then make a life altering change.

So yeh at that point it starts to come across as either "tell me I'm awesome and ill get In" or "I'm too awesome for where I am now".

So you have the answers squish. As I said.

I don't know what more you want from this thread.

As I said.

What is up with ur spaces in between the sentences lol.
No I never said it or have the impression that I am asking someone to tell me I'm good or etc because I never even posted my stats in the original post.
I am asking one question: Is it worth taking the risk of reapplying next year and rejecting a current offer to be in a university I prefer and would enjoy rather than one that I don't like.
Also that point about people who go to top universities is so stupid because u just mentioned there being at least 100 people on a course who are all different with different personalities so how can you suggest that all the people who go to top universities wouldn't ask for other people's opinions?
No I'm not too awesome for where I am now, why are u just randomly making up rubbish? I am talking about how suited the place is to me and already mentioned that this university could be someone else's preference over my preferred university.
Once again I'll point out that I have nothing to gain for my ego from a bunch of random people on a forum. All I have to gain is their experience. Also I'm pretty sure me not disclosing my identity is preventing anything actually boosting my ego because no one knows me here.
My main goal on this thread was to get people's opinions on it and their experience like that girl up there whose friend did the same thing and got an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending