The Student Room Group

Does a peak flow meter measure the peak flow rate?

Will it
Original post by Harry Long
Will it

yes they measure peak expiratory flow rates:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
yes they measure peak expiratory flow rates:smile:

Does it measure maximum breath volume too
Does it measure maximum breath volume too

No, i think there are other tests for that
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
No, i think there are other tests for that

Are you sure? What about maximum airflow? Isnt that the same as maximum breath volume
Peak Flow testing measures the maximal forced expiratory flow rate (patient dependent though, of you want to measure flow rates and inspiratory/expiratory volumes, then the test will be the most basic test would be Spirometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sam_town1
Peak Flow testing measures the maximal forced expiratory flow rate (patient dependent though, of you want to measure flow rates and inspiratory/expiratory volumes, then the test will be the most basic test would be Spirometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is peak flow rate measured in and will i be able to use it as the measurement in my investigation?
vv
;my investigation is about effect of height of subject on lung capacity and they have to breathe through a peak flow meter. I will record my results in a table. On one side is height of person and on the other is the measurement i get from the peak flow meter. So shall I just use peak flow rate?
What is peak flow rate measured in and will i be able to use it as the measurement in my investigation?
vv
;my investigation is about effect of height of subject on lung capacity and they have to breathe through a peak flow meter. I will record my results in a table. On one side is height of person and on the other is the measurement i get from the peak flow meter. So shall I just use peak flow rate?

Peak Expiratory Flow Rate (PEFR) via a peak flow meter is measured in litres per second. Height will influence the flow rate, as the taller you are, the larger the lungs and therefore the lung capacity, the smaller the inverse. However, to get a 'true' measurement, the technique will need to as correct as possible.
You could go deeper and explore more factors i.e. gender (males have larger lungs than females), age (the older, the less efficient or 'compliant' the lungs are, race (Caucasians have a larger lung capacity), etc. Or a better option would be to use a Spirometer if you able to obtain one if you want to more in depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending