The Student Room Group

Get rid of reserved seats on trains

A lot of the time the forget to put the damn tickets behind the seat so you awkwardly get kicked out of your seat.

It's stupid that they don't even charge for reserving a seat.

I think it should just be a case of first come first served!
Reply 1
I disagree it takes 2 seconds while booking and everyone can do it so people should stop being lazy and take advantage of it.
Reply 2
Original post by Lady Comstock
A lot of the time the forget to put the damn tickets behind the seat so you awkwardly get kicked out of your seat.

I agree, although for different reasons.

1) a lot of the people who reserve the seats don't turn up, or don't take the seats they book

2) when you're looking at all the tickets behind the seats, trying to find one which won't have anyone sat down during your journey's duration and by the time you've got to a seat, someone else has taken it.
Reply 3
I did not know you could even do this
Reply 4

... Just do it online it takes no time and you can pick a good seat that no one else Should be sitting in?

So when you're late for a train after a long day and want to sit down but "first come first served" so you have to stand?:|
reservations are the dogs danglers. dosent take long and is much more formal
So people would be sitting on the train floor? Never going to happen.
I hate the cold drinks on the train trolley, it's always too warm. I'm like great I just paid £2 for that but I drink anyway.
Reply 8

Those people are first come first served, they booked that particular train instead of purchasing an open ticket at the station.

Original post by jamestg
I agree, although for different reasons.

1) a lot of the people who reserve the seats don't turn up, or don't take the seats they book

2) when you're looking at all the tickets behind the seats, trying to find one which won't have anyone sat down during your journey's duration and by the time you've got to a seat, someone else has taken it.

If somebody is in your seat, your able to ask them to leave. You paid to be on this train at that time and in that seat, people with open tickets only have the right to be on a train.

Original post by TeeEm
I did not know you could even do this

It's booking in advance.
Original post by jamestg

1) a lot of the people who reserve the seats don't turn up

Do they not lose their money if they do that?

I thought if you booked a seat your ticket was only valid for that particular train.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Do they not lose their money if they do that?

I thought if you booked a seat your ticket was only valid for that particular train.

no, you can get an open single with an extra ticket for the reserved seat on a particular train.
Original post by Rakas21
Those people are first come first served, they booked that particular train instead of purchasing an open ticket at the station.

If somebody is in your seat, your able to ask them to leave. You paid to be on this train at that time and in that seat, people with open tickets only have the right to be on a train.

It's booking in advance.

I am pretty sure you can get open single with an extra ticket for the reserved seat you want - so you're not actually paying for that train/seat... you just get it as free extra.
Original post by Rakas21

It's booking in advance.

I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was essentially saying I find it frustrating to find a seat, which is free and won't be occupied for my journey. So if I'm going from Oxford to Reading, I'll find a seat which isn't reserved for that part of the journey. But what makes it worse is that people coming from the other end of the carriage take the seats that I could have had.
I am pretty sure you can get open single with an extra ticket for the reserved seat you want - so you're not actually paying for that train/seat... you just get it as free extra.

Possibly online but not same day from a station as the masses do.

The truth is that most people are simply not organised enough to plan their journeys.
If it was free-for-all on the trains then people who get on the train at early stations will get seats, and those at later stations will be forced to stand. Hardly fair.

Besides, who even buys tickets on the day these days? If you are doing a long journey (which I presume you are if you are moaning about not having a seat) then you should buy tickets in advance and save a load of money. Advance tickets usually offer seat reservations.

Quick Reply

Latest