The Student Room Group

Does a university's rank matter?

When looking at a university, should the ranking matter? What is considered a good rank and what's considered low?

Scroll to see replies

The ranking shouldn't be a deciding factor; while it may look nice to you and your peers, it is more important that you are comfortable in your environment and enjoy the course you are taking - this will make your time at university more worthwhile.
Reply 2
Rankings I feel were a big factor for me, honestly. Both UK and world rankings, but they aren't the only thing to go by. You should talk to people about it and see if you feel comfortable at the uni too, and do a bit of research into the uni and then weigh those things with the ranking
Original post by midnightsun159
When looking at a university, should the ranking matter? What is considered a good rank and what's considered low?

It depends. What course are you looking to apply for?
Original post by cherryred90s
It depends. What course are you looking to apply for?

Social work
I'm not concerned about getting into one of the top 5 unis, but if a uni is ranked 110 out of 125, does that make it a bad school?

The rankings are helpful for choosing universities as they tell you how well the university has done in the last year. Important ones for undergraduates are student satisfaction, staff:student ratio, and graduate prospects. Entry standards are also important if you want a challenging course. Research Quality is pretty much pointless for undergrad as you won't be doing any research during your time at uni, however it is important for postgrad, and is probably the best indicator of prestige.

The Guardian have the most useful league table for undergraduates, though it often gets a lot of hate for not listing prestigious unis so highly, as it only focuses on undergraduate experience.

In the end though, you should go with which choice you like the most, after having been to open days and stuff. League tables will help to point out weak areas that won't have been talked about by the uni, but you should be aware that tables fluctuate a lot, and universities may try to improve on their weak areas in your year.
I'm not concerned about getting into one of the top 5 unis, but if a uni is ranked 110 out of 125, does that make it a bad school?

Well obviously...

It's not a matter of 'good' or 'bad' as these are far too simplistic conclusions to a complex issue. Low rankings could be due to a number of factors, which are not necessarily related to the performance of the school. Instead, do your own research.
Social work

That's vocational right?
Check league tables for your subject rather than overall though and make sure the courses are accredited by relevant institute(s).
Original post by hihihihihi
Check league tables for your subject rather than overall though and make sure the courses are accredited by relevant institute(s).

Definitely, some unis might have an amazing reputation for some courses but are abysmal in others. Case in point, I go to Teesside, but there are only 9 courses of my kind in the country, think about the course rather than the uni.
It certainly was a deciding factor in my choices.

I would by lying if I said otherwise.
Original post by cherryred90s
That's vocational right?

No? It requires a bachelors

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you're not at a top ten uni, you may as well just lay down and rot. Always make me lol when plebs from non top 10 unis tell you where they studied and think they got a good education :lol:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Death Grips
if you're not at a top ten uni, you may as well just lay down and rot. Always make me lol when plebs from non top 10 unis tell you where they studied and think they got a good education :lol:

Spoiler

Your outdated view on the educational system is highly amusing.
Original post by Furdelance
Your outdated view on the educational system is highly amusing.

Denial is the first stage of acceptance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it does. /Thread closed
Original post by Death Grips
Denial is the first stage of acceptance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah but there is a difference between denial and staring cold, hard facts in the face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending