The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Somebody's impatient!

Sorry, but you did abruptly end the conversation a few hours ago and I didn't want to just throw away the progress we're making this time round. :wink:

Somebody of a different culture(mostly the majority culture) taking credit for something the minority culture never received is what I meant by that

Okay, now what do you mean by 'taking credit?' Do any of Good bloke's examples on the previous page constitute 'taking credit?' And why is the majority/minority culture divide relevant here, given that you're pro-integration?

Edit: I meant Good bloke's examples on page 19 -- didn't realise that my comment would end up on the next page.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is a very interesting thread!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Could you explain for me exactly why you don't think that's cultural appropriation? Because it appears to me to satisfy your criteria.

When people talk about cultural appropriation they are talking about minority cultures being exploited by the majority
Somebody's impatient!

Somebody of a different culture(mostly the majority culture) taking credit for something the minority culture never received is what I meant by that

Wearing clothes from a different culture is not taking credit for it. Who even suggested that? Are you taking credit for Western clothes in your avi?
Original post by Hydeman
Sorry, but you did abruptly end the conversation a few hours ago and I didn't want to just throw away the progress we're making this time round. :wink:

Okay, now what do you mean by 'taking credit?' Do any of Good bloke's examples on the previous page constitute 'taking credit?' And why is the majority/minority culture divide relevant here, given that you're pro-integration?

Edit: I meant Good bloke's examples on page 19 -- didn't realise that my comment would end up on the next page.

A few minutes,just goes to show you're here for a little show :wink:
Using my iPhone so it's alot more difficult

I am pro integration but it's unfair when minorities have certain aspects of their culture ridiculed and then being made to look edgy and cool by the majority culture. And yes the examples he listed,especially those relating to him wanting to dress up as an Arab,for whatever reason I don't know why,other than probably to attract attention
Original post by babawunga
Wearing clothes from a different culture is not taking credit for it. Who even suggested that? Are you taking credit for Western clothes in your avi?

A vest is western culture?

I'm talking particular types of garment that distinguish people
Original post by Trojan Horse
This is a very interesting thread!

It is a polarised thread.

On one hand you have people who think humans can learn from one another and are free to choose to dress as they like, eat as they wish and to criticise or take on aspects of other people's cultures and religions.

On the other you have people who want the benefits of western wealth and western freedoms while jealously trying to prevent westerners from gaining any benefit from things their ancestors or social group (not themselves) have created, and who are also so insecure in their own customs that they say that these westerners may not criticise them, while criticising those of the westerners.

It beggars belief.
Original post by Good bloke
It is a polarised thread.

On one hand you have people who think humans can learn from one another and are free to choose to dress as they like, eat as they wish and to criticise or take on aspects of other people's cultures and religions.

On the other you have people who want the benefits of western wealth and western freedoms while jealously trying to prevent westerners from gaining any benefit from things their ancestors or social group (not themselves) have created, and who are also so insecure in their own customs that they say that these westerners may not criticise them, while criticising those of the westerners.

It beggars belief.

What benefit do you gain from exploiting minority cultures?
When people talk about cultural appropriation they are talking about minority cultures being exploited by the majority

Italian culture is a minority culture in America, and in everywhere else that isn't Italy.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Mass produced vests, yes (very different style)

Look at all these people appropriating Western T-shirts

Sunglasses too

Western T shirts?! Western sunglasses? So help me god
Italian culture is a minority culture in America, and in everywhere else that isn't Italy.

Italians are white,are they not? It's sad to see that pizza is not specific to my own culture anymore
(edited 8 years ago)
Italians are white,are they not?

I'm genuinely not sure if srs, but I think I'll let this comment speak for itself rather than attempt a substantive response.
Italians are white,are they not? It's sad to see that pizza is not specific to my own culture anymore

How racist, saying all white people are the same.

In that case I guess Syrians and Sri Lankans are also the same.
What benefit do you gain from exploiting minority cultures?

I don't know. I'm trying to understand what you mean by exploiting, and why it is only bad if it is a minority culture. The latter just seems to mean that ethnic/religious minorities may benefit from white culture, but not the reverse, and I don't understand.

Why can a black man wear a suit but a white man cannot wear a sarong? What constitutes a minority anyway; there are far more Asians in the world than Europeans, so surely Europeans are in the minority?

What is the purpose of this ban on assimilation, and why is it not counterproductive to people getting on together?

Just answer my points above, then we may be able to progress.
I'm genuinely not sure if srs, but I think I'll let this comment speak for itself rather than attempt a substantive response.

:rofl: mind boggling stupidity. And I'm a Muslim immigrant to the UK. She is an embarrassment.
How racist, saying all white people are the same.

In that case I guess Syrians and Sri Lankans are also the same.

All whites people are not the same but they are the majority group in European countries, are they not?

Syrians are Arabs,Sri Lankans aren't?

Majority culture(s) vs minority culture

Syrians are Arabs

About a quarter are not Arabs.
All whites people are not the same but they are the majority group in European countries, are they not?

Syrians are Arabs,Sri Lankans aren't?

So? What does Europe have to do with this?

But they are both in Asia. You can't group all Asians together but you can group all Europeans together? Racist.
:rofl: mind boggling stupidity. And I'm a Muslim immigrant to the UK. She is an embarrassment.

From what I understand,that's what people are saying when they talk about cultural appropriation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending