The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
Lol calm down. It's similar in stupidity.

has james recently found his funny side? I'm becoming rather impressed
Original post by Mayhem™
has james recently found his funny side? I'm becoming rather impressed

the banter comes out on a saturday night when I'm not doing mechanics :wink:
Only around 1/3 of wheelchair users are unable to walk at all.

Edit: and even those who can't walk are likely to place their feet on the floor when transferring in and out of their chair.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bad Faith
It's not like they need them...

it not only people who can't walk who have wheelchairs
i have used one when i broke my foot in 3 places (it was a rental)
and some people can walk short distances (lester crest is an easy example)
Reply 24
Original post by Good bloke
Critical thinking is not your strong point, is it? Have you never had someone drop something on your foot in the street or school or the office? Do you not think it possible that the wheel chair may be pushed into an obstruction, or struck by a closing door?

I asked a question and now instead of giving me decent reply you resort to belittling me, good job.
True that could happen, but just think about it, someone who walks is more likely to hurt their feet as they move them around a lot more. If you think about someone sitting on a wheelchair is less likely to hurt their feet, still happens though I agree. Plus shoes can only protect you so much, they wont help you if your foot gets run over crushed by a heavy object.

Original post by jamestg
Lol calm down. It's similar in stupidity.

I am calm. Of course you cannot admit that you're statement was on the hyperbolic side of things.
Original post by jamestg
the banter comes out on a saturday night when I'm not doing mechanics :wink:

humour and mechanics? you truly amaze me
Original post by PQ

I think this is the first informative answer in this thread
I am calm. Of course you cannot admit that you're statement was on the hyperbolic side of things.

I don't need to admit it, because it's fairly obvious.
Reply 28
There are plenty of reasons, and a disabled person should not have to justify themselves. Is it wrong to wear shoes just to be the same as society? We really have no need for jewellery, such as necklaces, yet we wear them. Something does not have to have a purpose to be worth wearing.

Blind people need sunglasses for a mixture of reasons - to protect their eyes from sunlight as they might not be aware they are causing themselves damage, to signify they are blind, to cover their eyes for people who are uncomfortable or perhaps to stop ignorant people from being rude.

Seems like theres a bit of ignorance and distaste here!
Reply 29
Original post by sleepysnooze
because they want to look cool. sunglasses bring out that jazzy gangster look.and with disabled people, they wear shoes because they want their feet to look awesome
Ah fair point.
Original post by PQ
Oh I didn't know that, thanks for being useful. (Can't say the same for a few others).
Original post by jamesthehustler
it not only people who can't walk who have wheelchairsi have used one when i broke my foot in 3 places (it was a rental)
and some people can walk short distances (lester crest is an easy example)

Oh okay, I guess I just assumed that people who use wheelchairs are paralysed (waist down).
Original post by Mayhem™
humour and mechanics? you truly amaze me

Just wait until Y12 when you deliriously cry after spending about 2 minutes putting something into the calculator and mu comes up greater than 1 or there's a syntax error. Or even worse, when you enter everything in and knock the clear button.
Reply 31
Original post by Han-
There are plenty of reasons, and a disabled person should not have to justify themselves. Is it wrong to wear shoes just to be the same as society? We really have no need for jewellery, such as necklaces, yet we wear them. Something does not have to have a purpose to be worth wearing.

Blind people need sunglasses for a mixture of reasons - to protect their eyes from sunlight as they might not be aware they are causing themselves damage, to signify they are blind, to cover their eyes for people who are uncomfortable or perhaps to stop ignorant people from being rude.

Seems like theres a bit of ignorance and distaste here!

I wasn't asking for a justification, I was just curious. Why must everyone think I was doing it to be rude? Anyways, thanks for the answer.
Reply 32
I wasn't asking for a justification, I was just curious. Why must everyone think I was doing it to be rude? Anyways, thanks for the answer.

Not necessarily aiming that you/ saying you were looking for justification, or that you were being rude - just wanted to put it from a disabled pov.
Original post by jamestg
Just wait until Y12 when you deliriously cry after spending about 2 minutes putting something into the calculator and mu comes up greater than 1 or there's a syntax error. Or even worse, when you enter everything in and knock the clear button.

I can't wait to do maths,further maths,physics, and chemistry at A-level; I like to kill off my brain.
When my partner goes through airport security they check the soles of his shoes for excessive wear as a way to double check that he's a regular wheelchair user (given that he's allowed to bring a substantial gel cushion and detachable parts of the chair onto the plane - all of which could (and have) been used in the past by drug traffickers).
Reply 35
If you look closely you'll see that most of the shoes are crudely drawn on with markers.
Reply 36
Original post by Good bloke
Protection from the cold (they do have feeling in their feet), protection from injury when things fall on or knock against their feet, and for aesthetic reasons. There, that didn't take much thinking through, did it?

Was there a need to be condescending and rude
Original post by Mayhem™
I can't wait to do maths,further maths,physics, and chemistry at A-level; I like to kill off my brain.

Good luck! Just make sure you don't ease yourself into sixth form and form good habits from day one. You'll love yourself when it gets to this point.

Honestly though, work your arse off. I can confidently say the amount of work I have put in since September is roughly equivalent to the two years of GCSEs and it isn't even exam season yet!
Original post by difeo
Was there a need to be condescending and rude

Was there a need to spam the thread with a pointless question?
It's not like they need them...

The reasons for people using wheelchairs are many and varied, but the fundamental commonality is that they have an issue with walking short or long distances. Depending on their underlying medical condition they may, or may not, have intact sensation in their feet. Not all wheelchair users are paraplegics. Many wheelchair users can walk short distances or weightbear to transfer from wheelchair to bed, seat, toilet etc., obviously supportive shoes with adequate grip are necessary for this. In cases where no weight bearing is possible people may choose to wear footwear for various reasons: 1) they have been used to wearing footwear all their lives up until their illness/accident etc. 2) they were born with non-functional use of their lower limbs but choose to wear footwear because they find them aesthetically pleasing etc. 3) in all cases with impaired sensation footwear provides protection from friction injuries, bumps, radiator burns, sun burn, hypothermia etc. as feeling something as hot, cold, sore or chafing etc. alerts us to a risk of injury. If someone has impaired sensation the injury will still occur, but without the person being aware it is occurring.

This answer is for anyone genuinely interested in the question.

Latest