The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
From what I understand,that's what people are saying when they talk about cultural appropriation.

We are interested in what you think not people. Please go back to my examples and answer yes/no to them and we may begin to understand your reasoning.
Original post by babawunga
So? What does Europe have to do with this?

But they are both in Asia. You can't group all Asians together but you can group all Europeans together? Racist.

We live in Europe? Therefore they are the majority?
I am a european(Italian) myself so in pretty sure I know the differences within our own European Countries
(edited 8 years ago)
How do these plebeians get into Cambridge in the first place?
Original post by Good bloke
We are interested in what you think not people. Please go back to my examples and answer yes/no to them and we may begin to understand your reasoning.

Okay,you'll get an answer tomorrow. Going to bed in abit
Original post by Mathemagicien
Most individual European ethnicities are minorities in most parts of Europe

This is true
Will check out the KCL safe space and tell you guys how it went. Would be interesting to hear why people feel threatened by cultural appropriation issues
All whites people are not the same but they are the majority group in European countries, are they not?

Okay, fine, I'll bite.

You appear to be claiming that Italian, and by extension French, German, Swedish, and Greek cultures do not exist separately from cultures of countries which have broadly similar majority racial groupings.

Presumably if I make sushi in England, or draw Japanese-style cartoons, I am committing cultural appropriation. This is because Japanese culture has a minority presence in England. However, if a Chinese person does either of these things, Japanese culture likewise being a minority influence in China, he is not committing cultural appropriation, for the sole reason that the typical Chinese person is ethnically similar to the typical Japanese person.

This distinction seems to me to have no justification whatsoever.

Furthermore, your total association of culture with ethnicity would seem to have what most people would call racist implications for the status of, e.g., black Britons as full participants in British culture. Either that or you are operating a ludicrous double standard. It has to be one of the two.
I wonder how are these manchildren going to survive in the real world when they require a "safe space" everywhere :toofunny:
ooooo who knew poc had the upper hand, i like it #thetableshaveturned
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Okay, fine, I'll bite.

You appear to be claiming that Italian, and by extension French, German, Swedish, and Greek cultures do not exist separately from cultures of countries which have broadly similar majority racial groupings.

Presumably if I make sushi in England, or draw Japanese-style cartoons, I am committing cultural appropriation. This is because Japanese culture has a minority presence in England. However, if a Chinese person does either of these things, Japanese culture likewise being a minority influence in China, he is not committing cultural appropriation, for the sole reason that the typical Chinese person is ethnically similar to the typical Japanese person.

This distinction seems to me to have no justification whatsoever.

Furthermore, your total association of culture with ethnicity would seem to have what most people would call racist implications for the status of, e.g., black Britons as full participants in British culture. Either that or you are operating a ludicrous double standard. It has to be one of the two.

I haven't claimed to be a master of cultural appropriation issues but from what I understand,this is why minorities especially feel uncomfortable with having their cultures appropriated.

Integration is encouraged,that's doesn't meant minorities are culturally appropriating British culture.
Original post by sophiamarni
ooooo who knew poc had the upper hand, i like it #thetableshaveturned

This is about culture, not skin colour.
I wonder how are these manchildren going to survive in the real world when they require a "safe space" everywhere :toofunny:

Whilst your all hear complaining about people who genuinely have been victims of cultural appropriation why don't you actually ask the universities why they have created safe spaces for such students. I'm sure they'll give you a good enough,educated response
A few minutes,just goes to show you're here for a little show :wink:

Yeah, but you never got back to me when we were discussing this earlier, so I didn't want to let that happen again. :tongue:

Using my iPhone so it's alot more difficult

Ah, okay. :yy: That's understandable.

I am pro integration but it's unfair when minorities have certain aspects of their culture ridiculed and then being made to look edgy and cool by the majority culture. And yes the examples he listed,especially those relating to him wanting to dress up as an Arab,for whatever reason I don't know why,other than probably to attract attention

How does wearing Arab dress count as ridicule? :s-smilie: You're assuming only the lowest motives for Good bloke (or any other non-Arab) dressing that way when you say that he just wants to do it to attract attention, and I don't think that that's justified. Is the King of Jordan being malicious when he makes a state visit dressed in a smart suit and tie?

Also, do you think that this would be true if it was reversed? If minorities 'appropriated' parts of the majority culture to look edgy and cool? Would that be equally contemptible?

What I'm trying to say is that, if you don't allow any mixing of cultures, then you're not arguing for a well-assimilated multicultural society like you claim to be doing.
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't claimed to be a master of cultural appropriation issues but from what I understand,this is why minorities especially feel uncomfortable with having their cultures appropriated.

Integration is encouraged,that's doesn't meant minorities are culturally appropriating British culture.

If minorities feel uncomfortable with different cultures, why do they emigrate to a country with a different culture?

Let's leave aside other people's presumed feelings for the moment and analyse the situation.

Do you recognise the distinction I drew between English and Chinese appropriation of aspects of Japanese culture as respectively not okay and okay?
Whilst your all hear complaining about people who genuinely have been victims of cultural appropriation why don't you actually ask the universities why they have created safe spaces for such students. I'm sure they'll give you a good enough,educated response

You seem to be conflating one concept (safe spaces) with a different one (cultural appropriation. Just as you earlier conflated Arabs with Levantines.
If minorities feel uncomfortable with different cultures, why do they emigrate to a country with a different culture?

They feel uncomfortable with having their cultures mocked , they have no problem with other cultures. This isn't what the issue is about. And this is why the universities are catering to these people
Actually, a genuine question for y'all. By universities creating space spaces,are they acknowledging cultural appropriation exists?
They feel uncomfortable with having their cultures mocked , they have no problem with other cultures. This isn't what the issue is about. And this is why the universities are catering to these people

Can you explain how wearing clothes from a different culture is mocking said culture?
Original post by Good bloke
You seem to be conflating one concept (safe spaces) with a different one (cultural appropriation. Just as you earlier conflated Arabs with Levantines.

Do you see me call myself an Arab? No! I am from Syria,the levant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending