The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be asexual?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinemither
*Scoffs and splutters* Do they need the information, or are they providing? If the latter, I was here! :wink:

I know you were darling :h:

But she's in a relationship, so she'd have a different perspective to you :smile:
I'm only trying to help the OP, the more responses he gets from other Asexuals the better he can understand it xx
Reply 21
*Scoffs and splutters* Do they need the information, or are they providing? If the latter, I was here! :wink:

I'm just giving a girl's perspective on being asexual. :tongue:

EDIT: also what @Eternalflames says.
Original post by Eternalflames
I know you were darling :h:

But she's in a relationship, so she'd have a different perspective to you :smile:
I'm only trying to help the OP, the more responses he gets from other Asexuals the better he can understand it xx

No, no. I understand ;D That's perfectly alright! Xx
Original post by Airmed
I'm just giving a girl's perspective on being asexual. :tongue:

EDIT: also what @Eternalflames says.

That's all good xD We both have our own experiences :smile:
@BristolFresher15 I'm asexual too

It doesn't involve any repressing of feelings, that's what celibacy is
An asexual naturally does not have any sexual attraction towards others.

I remember my friend trying to show me hot guy's pictures and asked me if I would have sex with them, to all of them I said "Great physique, but I feel no desire to have sex with them" :smile:

I get aesthetic attraction towards other people, but no sexual attraction.
Reply 25

I remember my friend trying to show me hot guy's pictures and asked me if I would have sex with them, to all of them I said "Great physique, but I feel no desire to have sex with them" :smile:

I think for me what made me think 'ok, definitely different here!' was one day when I was 14, we were all sitting in our dossy drama class, all the girls in a huddle (the boys were off stacking chairs) and one girl said 'hey, everyone write down all the boys you think are hot in the year!'

All of them had 20+.

Me? Three.

And the girl who suggested it turned to me and said 'Jeez, Francesca, your list is so short, do you just not find people hot?!'

Original post by Airmed
I think for me what made me think 'ok, definitely different here!' was one day when I was 14, we were all sitting in our dossy drama class, all the girls in a huddle (the boys were off stacking chairs) and one girl said 'hey, everyone write down all the boys you think are hot in the year!'

All of them had 20+.

Me? Three.

And the girl who suggested it turned to me and said 'Jeez, Francesca, your list is so short, do you just not find people hot?!'

The deciding factor for me was most likely being sat there with a girl who was trying to seduce me (around three years ago now) and her sending a revealing photo. Upon viewing it, I grimaced and couldn't respond. Similarly, as forementioned, I've never had an attraction to men. It was that moment where I realised that neother gender sexually appealed to me and that I could be asexual, despite not coming out about it until around 6 months ago to friends. Family, mostly, still don't know.
Not meaning to offend anyone at all - just curious, but as an asexual do you still get sexual urges? Like guys do you still get hard ons?
Reply 28
The deciding factor for me was most likely being sat there with a girl who was trying to seduce me (around three years ago now) and her sending a revealing photo. Upon viewing it, I grimaced and couldn't respond. Similarly, as forementioned, I've never had an attraction to men. It was that moment where I realised that neother gender sexually appealed to me and that I could be asexual, despite not coming out about it until around 6 months ago to friends. Family, mostly, still don't know.

My daddy has always known, he says. A few of my friends know, my sister and brother does, as does my boyfriend. I don't think it is something I need to proclaim. Most people don't understand it and it's difficult to explain - especially when you're in my position. My mental health nurse immediately asked if I had been abused when I told him (also, I'm so sorry about your father. Stuff like that angers me).
Realising you're asexual is trickier, I think, than discovering any other sexual orientation because you just... keep going like you always have, you know? You don't realise that everyone else has started to feel attraction and you haven't - it took me so long to realise that people weren't just, idk, joking or exaggerating about how much they wanted to have sex. It's hard to figure out what you're missing when you've never felt it.
Just to add, asexuality can be a spectrum. For some people there is no desire for sex, but kissing/cuddling is fine, for others even kissing has no attraction. Some asexuals are sex repulsed, while others are fine having sex but don't really get pleasure from it or arousal to do it. It's different for everyone.

There are also more depths to this spectrum, such as demisexual, is a person who does not experience sexual attraction unless they form a strong emotional connection with someone, so wouldn't be able to have a one night stand and so on.
Reply 31
Original post by charlie-hh
Just to add, asexuality can be a spectrum. For some people there is no desire for sex, but kissing/cuddling is fine, for others even kissing has no attraction. Some asexuals are sex repulsed, while others are fine having sex but don't really get pleasure from it or arousal to do it. It's different for everyone.

There are also more depths to this spectrum, such as demisexual, is a person who does not experience sexual attraction unless they form a strong emotional connection with someone, so wouldn't be able to have a one night stand and so on.

*waves* Me!

Explaining that though is so complicated. Most people give blank looks when you tell them that yes, even asexuality, has a spectrum.
Original post by Anonymous
Not meaning to offend anyone at all - just curious, but as an asexual do you still get sexual urges? Like guys do you still get hard ons?

I do, but it's never due to a sexual desire. More to do with waking up. For some reason, i think most guys wake with it all going on. Other than that, I won't get an erection for the rest of the day because nothing sexually appeals to me.
Original post by Airmed

All of them had 20+.

Me? Three.

20+? That's a lot for 14 year olds :lol:
Reply 34
20+? That's a lot for 14 year olds :lol:

The girl who suggested we do it decided to write all the names of the ones she liked on her lower arms. She covered both of them. :laugh:
Original post by Anonymous

Nope, as an asexual girl. No hard ons for me :tongue:

Not but seriously, I can't get 'turned on' as other sexual people can.
Original post by Airmed
My daddy has always known, he says. A few of my friends know, my sister and brother does, as does my boyfriend. I don't think it is something I need to proclaim. Most people don't understand it and it's difficult to explain - especially when you're in my position. My mental health nurse immediately asked if I had been abused when I told him (also, I'm so sorry about your father. Stuff like that angers me).

My mother once brought the topic up, but accused me (my parents were extremely critical of homosexuals and others from non-white backgrounds. Racist and homophobic, what a wonderful environment to grow up in!) of being gay. I denied it, obviously, but knowing how they will act now I think it's best to avoid it. My brothers asked if it meant I wanted sex with myself as opposed to abstaining from sex or withdrawing from it all together. I love the people I enjoy the company of at college because they understand and accept it. I just feel rejected as I'm the only person who identifies as asexual and, nine times out of ten, I am the only asexual they know. But yeah, it's fun!

Don't worry about him. He can't harm me now, and if he could I would have probably killed him by now... I'm not exactly mentally well either. I'm pretty sick, so any little thing could easily force me over the edge... Makes it sound like I am psychotic xD
@fatima1998 Please explain to us hat it feels like to be asexual for you.
Reply 38
My mother once brought the topic up, but accused me (my parents were extremely critical of homosexuals and others from non-white backgrounds. Racist and homophobic, what a wonderful environment to grow up in!) of being gay. I denied it, obviously, but knowing how they will act now I think it's best to avoid it. My brothers asked if it meant I wanted sex with myself as opposed to abstaining from sex or withdrawing from it all together. I love the people I enjoy the company of at college because they understand and accept it. I just feel rejected as I'm the only person who identifies as asexual and, nine times out of ten, I am the only asexual they know. But yeah, it's fun!

Don't worry about him. He can't harm me now, and if he could I would have probably killed him by now... I'm not exactly mentally well either. I'm pretty sick, so any little thing could easily force me over the edge... Makes it sound like I am psychotic xD

Yeah, if I told anyone about me being asexual and they didn't accept it, I would drop them so fast.

I'm quite ill too - and don't worry, I have been pyschotic. :tongue:
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, if I told anyone about me being asexual and they didn't accept it, I would drop them so fast.

I'm quite ill too - and don't worry, I have been pyschotic. :tongue:

I don't associate wth small minded and shallow people. I prefer to surround myself with positive people or people who are good, not druggies and smokers. I'm still far too impressionable :wink:

I hope you get better soon! You're too kind to be ill, so it has to leave some time soon... I hope.

If only killing people wasn't 'illegal' or 'socially unacceptable'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending