The Student Room Group

If I don't get into medicine a second time, what should I do?

I applied to medicine last year and didn't get in, and I've applied again this time with 3A*s under my belt and a good UKCAT score, I've also got some great work experience, but I feel like my interview skills might let me down. I know at Sheffield the different stations were very mixed for me. I've got an offer from Sheffield for a masters in biomedical science which I would have a small chance of transferring to medicine from, but I don't really want to study biomedical science. I want to be a doctor. I've considered other medical professions but none quite fit my skills like medicine does. Do I give up and pick something else, or is it worth applying a third time? Do I take it as a sign it's not for me and I should find something else, or should I stick to my guns?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sloe&AppleJelly
I applied to medicine last year and didn't get in, and I've applied again this time with 3A*s under my belt and a good UKCAT score, I've also got some great work experience, but I feel like my interview skills might let me down. I know at Sheffield the different stations were very mixed for me. I've got an offer from Sheffield for a masters in biomedical science which I would have a small chance of transferring to medicine from, but I don't really want to study biomedical science. I want to be a doctor. I've considered other medical professions but none quite fit my skills like medicine does. Do I give up and pick something else, or is it worth applying a third time? Do I take it as a sign it's not for me and I should find something else, or should I stick to my guns?

How did you only get an offer from sheffield for a completely different course with 3A*S under your belt?
Original post by malaikaxx
How did you only get an offer from sheffield for a completely different course with 3A*S under your belt?

Oh, I applied to Sheffield, Bristol, Keele and Durham for medicine. Bristol have already rejected me. Biomed at Sheffield is my backup just to use the 5th slot for something.
How many interviews did you get this year? Would you be able to receive any formal feedback on how you did?
Oh, I applied to Sheffield, Bristol, Keele and Durham for medicine. Bristol have already rejected me. Biomed at Sheffield is my backup just to use the 5th slot for something.

right right ok i got you now ..did perhaps your gcse results let you down?
Original post by Democracy
How many interviews did you get this year? Would you be able to receive any formal feedback on how you did?

I've had 2 interviews already and I have another on Tuesday. I've heard nothing yet, but I'm not confident they went great. I tried getting feedback last year though and it was pretty vague. I got two interviews last year.
Original post by malaikaxx
right right ok i got you now ..did perhaps your gcse results let you down?

My GCSE results are pretty average for a medicine applicant, but they meet the requirements and are quite good. I got 6A*s and 4As. I'm just not sure what to do if I do get rejected again, because I'm kind of on the cusp of getting in, but I don't know if it would be worth a third shot.
Keep trying. I know someone who wasn't successful three times, maybe more. Eventually she got in. She's now second year of Med school.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Keep trying. I know someone who wasn't successful three times, maybe more. Eventually she got in. She's now second year of Med school.

Thanks, sometimes it's hard not to feel like the odd one out, or like perhaps I'm just not cut out for it. :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks, sometimes it's hard not to feel like the odd one out, or like perhaps I'm just not cut out for it. :smile:

Personally I think it's ridiculous (and disgusting) that someone with the right grades and a clear passion isn't able to get on the course. All the statistics of not enough doctors yet this happens.

I hope you achieve your dream OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GCSE results are pretty average for a medicine applicant, but they meet the requirements and are quite good. I got 6A*s and 4As. I'm just not sure what to do if I do get rejected again, because I'm kind of on the cusp of getting in, but I don't know if it would be worth a third shot.

those are brill results, you could always stick to your guns and try next year with perhaps unis in and around london like UCL or Imperial and Kings College is also fantastic, you should totally consider it!
I've had 2 interviews already and I have another on Tuesday. I've heard nothing yet, but I'm not confident they went great. I tried getting feedback last year though and it was pretty vague. I got two interviews last year.

So three interviews this cycle - that's encouraging and suggests you applied strategically, which is what I would have suggested if you were to make another application.

First and foremost, I'd say (and I know it's easier said than done) try and be as patient as you can. You say you've yet to hear back so for all you know you might be headed for an offer this year. Three interviews means your chance should be very reasonable, so for all you know, you could be making plans for nothing.

From what you've written in this thread it seems like you've got a good application and you've clearly got no problems getting interviews. It's a pity that you've not been able to get official feedback as that could have been very useful, so I guess if you weren't successful this year you'd have to reflect on what might have let you down. Could it have been how you came across e.g. appearing very nervous, not making eye contact, etc? Or perhaps your answers weren't as in depth as they might have liked e.g. if they asked you an ethics question, did you talk about both sides of the argument before giving your own opinion?

The MMI format isn't for everyone, so if you were to make another application, maybe avoid schools which use it. Also, if you're going to re-apply, perhaps try and do a mock interview with a friend or family member? Rehearse in front of the mirror? Apologies if I'm telling you things you've already tried!

Ultimately I think it would be a shame if you applied for another degree when you've got the right qualifications for medicine and it's what you want to do. Personally I'd re-apply - some people just need a few attempts before getting in...but all you need is one offer, and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get one.

But most of all, try and stay positive for this year! Good luck.
Reply 12

most students do pharmacy
Original post by thad33
Personally I think it's ridiculous (and disgusting) that someone with the right grades and a clear passion isn't able to get on the course. All the statistics of not enough doctors yet this happens.

I hope you achieve your dream OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The students who did get in have all those things too though?

Yeah it sucks that a lot of people end up disappointed but unfortunately that's just how it is in medicine. No point taking it personally.

The "not enough doctors" thing is a complex issue, and not solved simply by increasing the number of people getting into medical school.
Reply 14

Yeah it sucks that a lot of people end up disappointed but unfortunately that's just how it is in medicine. No point taking it personally.

The "not enough doctors" thing is a complex issue, and not solved simply by increasing the number of people getting into medical school.

I get your points. However this person is qualified and has the passion, this should be enough to be educated in the subject you desperately want.
I don't think there are enough medical schools in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
most students do pharmacy

My mum was a pharmacist and quit because of how draining it was. It was pretty tough, a lot of paperwork and not as much helping people as she wanted it to be. I also worked in a pharmacy for a while and it just didn't interest me as much as medicine does. :/
Reply 16
My mum was a pharmacist and quit because of how draining it was. It was pretty tough, a lot of paperwork and not as much helping people as she wanted it to be. I also worked in a pharmacy for a while and it just didn't interest me as much as medicine does. :/

any other science?
Reply 17

As children we're told we can do anything we set our minds to. Futures in our hands blah blah.
Yet there's a single admissions tutor (maybe one or two more) that decides the life path you're going to take. Sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is kind of my point, I have everything I technically need to get in, it's just the final hurdles that are the challenge. I'm on the borderline of getting in so I just wanted to see what others would say as to whether I go down a different route or give it another shot. :smile:
Original post by TeeEm
any other science?

I like the sciences but I really want to work with people rather than in research. I'm considering nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending