The Student Room Group

Inferiority complex amongst South Asian culture.

Sorry but I feel I'm going to have to call this

Why am I offended? Because my culture is being used by people who don't know about it. Be proud of yours, look pride is one of the key things in life that we've adopted over here, be proud of yourself if you wanna be like Afghans or what not. I don't know why some of you do this, is to get rid of your hindu ancestory? Lol don't forget Afghanistan was Buddhist before, and Iran had that Zorotorisian religion.

I've been to Pakistan were people never lie about this kind of stuff, the best people I met there were poor religious people helping out refugees in disadvantaged areas, there some poor man over there that saved thousands of lives with ambulances and what not.
The only type of Pakistanis I find I like are believe it or not Liberal Punjabis, they're not ashamed of there culture and some of the chillest guys to hang around, I think someone like Lord Samosa dude on TSR is represent as one, another one I can think from the top of my head is brokenlife, im sure I read there posts they didn't seem too fussed about there ethnic origins/ and the Pakistanis in Pakistan, where I stayed for a short while was mixed of various various ethnic groups, but no one thought of each other as lesser or inferior, I have major issues with the government but the people were very kind hearted, and I laugh at the ones here who deny there heritage, I've been Norway too and met quite a lot there all of them showed there normal hospiitality there, and never thought the need to lie aboutt hemselves (Y)

the thing is that it was a few weeks ago I was working in my shop when some guy told me that he from Kpk provience, I asked him how he was and dude literally said 'erm I can't speak it' then ran out the shop. Look my view on Pashtunistan and an ethnic homeland is strong but I realise that it may not happen, so unless Pakistanis all love to love each other and there ownselves it's going to turn out badly
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You said huh?
Reply 2
what is huh
Original post by Gul89
I just a guy make a thread about how Pakistanis are closer to Arabs, then they are too Indians. SMH, the number of times I've heard a light skin pakistani tell me that they are Afghan, Persian, Arab what not and I catch them out is disgraceful.

Not to be ignorant but they all look pretty much the same to me. I don't think many people outside of the middle east or South Asia know the difference by looking.
Original post by Anonymous
Not to be ignorant but they all look pretty much the same to me. I don't think many people outside of the middle east or South Asia know the difference by looking.

I suppose; however, I am told I look extremely distinct, to that of an average stereotypical middle eastern.
--Also for the record; I am Persian.
Reply 6
Just a heads up: don't mention Pakistani people to bolly_mad - he hates us. Lol :biggrin:

And you know we Punjabis are the best! There's nothing we can't solve with a good party full of music and dance! :smile:
Original post by Gul89
Sorry but I feel I'm going to have to call this

I just a guy make a thread about how Pakistanis are closer to Arabs, then they are too Indians. SMH, the number of times I've heard a light skin pakistani tell me that they are Afghan, Persian, Arab what not and I catch them out is disgraceful.

Why am I offended? Because my culture is being used by people who don't know about it. Be proud of yours, look pride is one of the key things in life that we've adopted over here, be proud of yourself if you wanna be like Afghans or what not. I don't know why some of you do this, is to get rid of your hindu ancestory? Lol don't forget Afghanistan was Buddhist before, and Iran had that Zorotorisian religion.

I've been to Pakistan were people never lie about this kind of stuff, the best people I met there were poor religious people helping out refugees in disadvantaged areas, there some poor man over there that saved thousands of lives with ambulances and what not.
The only type of Pakistanis I find I like are believe it or not Liberal Punjabis, they're not ashamed of there culture and some of the chillest guys to hang around, I think someone like Lord Samosa dude on TSR is represent as one, another one I can think from the top of my head is brokenlife, im sure I read there posts they didn't seem too fussed about there ethnic origins/ and the Pakistanis in Pakistan, where I stayed for a short while was mixed of various various ethnic groups, but no one thought of each other as lesser or inferior, I have major issues with the government but the people were very kind hearted, and I laugh at the ones here who deny there heritage, I've been Norway too and met quite a lot there all of them showed there normal hospiitality there, and never thought the need to lie aboutt hemselves (Y)

the thing is that it was a few weeks ago I was working in my shop when some guy told me that he from Kpk provience, I asked him how he was and dude literally said 'erm I can't speak it' then ran out the shop. Look my view on Pashtunistan and an ethnic homeland is strong but I realise that it may not happen, so unless Pakistanis all love to love each other and there ownselves it's going to turn out badly

:ahee: :ahee: :ahee:
Reply 8
How can you be proud of something you didn't choose?
Reply 9
Pashtuns are people who originally came from Iran but live in Afghanistan and Pakistan. These people ARE more closely related to Iranians than they are to Indians, hence they even share the languages with them. They have every right to claim this.
The Punjab region of Pakistan is obviously more closely related to India. You need to acknowledge that just because you're from Pakistan, that doesn't mean you have the exact same ancestry and origins as someone who was born on the other side of Pakistan where the history is completely different.
Maybe because the many Indians detest being grouped in with Pakistanis?
Reply 11
i get what you mean, like when i was in high school/college clear pakistanis used to say theyre from Kenya or Persian when you know there whole family history :rofl:

i love being indian/south asian, im never sahamed of it
Original post by mkap
i get what you mean, like when i was in high school/college clear pakistanis used to say theyre from Kenya or Persian when you know there whole family history :rofl:

i love being indian/south asian, im never sahamed of it

A lot of Indians and Pakistanis migrated to Kenya and Tanzania around the time of the partition. There are a lot of Pakistanis now where the last 2 or 3 generations of their family were all born and raised in Kenya or Tanzania. Obviously they're not African by blood, but what they mean is that they do have family connections in Africa now and it's really not uncommon.
Original post by Petulia

The Punjab region of Pakistan is obviously more closely related to India. You need to acknowledge that just because you're from Pakistan, that doesn't mean you have the exact same ancestry and origins as someone who was born on the other side of Pakistan where the history is completely different.

I don't get what you mean by this. I'm Pakistani by ethnicity, my parents and my maternal grandparents were born there. But my paternal grandmother was born in Amritsar before Partition. I'm sure if I go back enough generations in my family, I'll find ancestors whose current descendants are in India now. How is the history of India different to Pakistan when both countries used to be one and the same?
Original post by asif007
I don't get what you mean by this. I'm Pakistani by ethnicity, my parents and my maternal grandparents were born there. But my paternal grandmother was born in Amritsar before Partition. I'm sure if I go back enough generations in my family, I'll find ancestors whose current descendants are in India now. How is the history of India different to Pakistan when both countries used to be one and the same?

After the partition, a lot of Pashtuns migrated from Afghanistan to Pakistan (and now reside in Peshawar) because of war in their own country. That's one reason why we have a lot of Pashtuns living in Pakistan and Afghanistan too, but their ancestry is mostly Iranian. Hence they have lighter skin than Pakistanis, and this is another reason why a lot of Pashtuns deny that they're Pakistani and instead call themselves Afghan or Iranian.
You really need to research for yourself into the history of different ethnic groups in Pakistan. There is a lot more to it than what I've told you. Not every Pakistani is Punjabi and not every ethnic group in Pakistan originates from India. It's actually shocking how uneducated most young British Pakistanis are when it comes to their own history.
Original post by Petulia
After the partition, a lot of Pashtuns migrated from Afghanistan to Pakistan (and now reside in Peshawar) because of war in their own country. That's one reason why we have a lot of Pashtuns living in Pakistan and Afghanistan too, but their ancestry is mostly Iranian. Hence they have lighter skin than Pakistanis, and this is another reason why a lot of Pashtuns deny that they're Pakistani and instead call themselves Afghan or Iranian.
You really need to research for yourself into the history of different ethnic groups in Pakistan. There is a lot more to it than what I've told you. Not every Pakistani is Punjabi and not every ethnic group in Pakistan originates from India. It's actually shocking how uneducated most young British Pakistanis are when it comes to their own history.

Only a minority of Pashtuns in Pakistan are recent immigrants from Afghanistan. Vast majority of them are native and their ancestors have been living there for hundreds of years. They aren't all light skinned either, and there are many Punjabis and Sindhis who are lighter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually it is Pakistani Punjabis who are okay with giving up their mother tongue and culture... Punjabi.

All other provinces seem to have some sort of movement to fight for independence and their mother tongue. As the Bengalis did so in forming Bangladesh.
Original post by Petulia

Jesus, calm down mate. I never said every Pakistani is Punjabi, what do you take me for? So there was a small minority of people who migrated from Afghanistan to Pakistan and probably identify more with Iranian/Afghan origin. I don't know a lot about Pashtuns because I'm not one. But you can't ignore that there were also hundreds of thousands of people who migrated from India to Pakistan during Partition, and they didn't just stay in Punjab like you seem to imply. Forgive me for drawing the conclusion that lots of Pakistanis share more history, language, culture and infrastructure with India than any other country cos, y'know, they used to be the same. Stop pretending that's not true.
Reply 18
Original post by Aghareza
--Also for the record; I am Persian.

Oh my, Persia still exists ? Wow!
Original post by asif007
Jesus, calm down mate. I never said every Pakistani is Punjabi, what do you take me for? So there was a small minority of people who migrated from Afghanistan to Pakistan and probably identify more with Iranian/Afghan origin. I don't know a lot about Pashtuns because I'm not one. But you can't ignore that there were also hundreds of thousands of people who migrated from India to Pakistan during Partition, and they didn't just stay in Punjab like you seem to imply. Forgive me for drawing the conclusion that lots of Pakistanis share more history, language, culture and infrastructure with India than any other country cos, y'know, they used to be the same. Stop pretending that's not true.

Yes, Pakistanis do share most of their history with Indians, but the whole reason this thread started is because OP asked why some Pakistanis claim to be of Iranian or Afghan origin. I've pointed out that some ethnic groups in Pakistan DO have Iranian ancestry and no one has the right to mock them for it or call them liars. I'm Punjabi myself but even I can acknowledge that there are Pakistani ethnic groups that originated from other countries too, not just India.

Latest

Trending

Trending