The Student Room Group

Has anyone looked into a raw fruitarian diet?

It is a diet that consists of only exotic fruits (bananas, mangoes, coconuts, dragon fruit, avocado etc) that as animals we would have intrinsically eaten as a primary diet and would have grown in our natural habitat in african rain-forests. But because fruits were at the time a resource, out of our controllable and not abundant enough to support us in primitive tribes we began to hunt. Copying other predators.

My thoughts are that in essence it is sustainable but I believe it is better to have this diet and also eat seeds etc.

I think the concept of returning to our animistic natural diet is really beautiful... what are your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

I love exotic fruits
Reply 2
Original post by YourName___
It is a diet that consists of only exotic fruits (bananas, mangoes, coconuts, dragon fruit, avocado etc) that as animals we would have intrinsically eaten as a primary diet and would have grown in our natural habitat in african rain-forests. But because fruits were at the time a resource, out of our controllable and not abundant enough to support us in primitive tribes we began to hunt. Copying other predators.

My thoughts are that in essence it is sustainable but I believe it is better to have this diet and also eat seeds etc.

I think the concept of returning to our animistic natural diet is really beautiful... what are your thoughts on this?

I wanted to try the whole raw food lifestyle but after doing a bit of research - I am afraid that it can actually wreck a havoc on your teeth. So your exotic fruits diet would be even worse, it would just destroy your teeth I'm afraid.
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
I wanted to try the whole raw food lifestyle but after doing a bit of research - I am afraid that it can actually wreck a havoc on your teeth. So your exotic fruits diet would be even worse, it would just destroy your teeth I'm afraid.

That is such a menial issue in comparison to the advantages it provides, also replacing teeth isn't impossible either.
Reply 4
While there's no doubt that humans eat more meat than they need to there's also no real doubt (unless you believe in supplements) that humans do need to eat some types of meat (albeit more like once or twice per week). The Frutarian diet actually increases the amount of meat you'd need to eat to compensate for the fact that fruit is less nutritionally dense than vegetables.

Raw or not raw makes little difference.
I suggest you check out the "unnaturalvegan"s videos on YouTube. She discusses why the raw food diet is bad and why you would be better off on a vegan diet that consists of cooked elements like lentils and soy. She is very informative so it might be a good idea to check her out before you make any lifestyle choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That is such a menial issue in comparison to the advantages it provides, also replacing teeth isn't impossible either.

Well, if you can afford implants...
We're omnivores. We can get food from so many sources, that's part of our evolution.

Also, pretty difficult to get protein unless you're eating a vast quantity of beans and lentils.
Reply 8
Original post by SophieSmall
The fruitarian diet is frankly idiotic and not healthy.Do some proper (non biased) research into it, along with some proper research into human nutrition to discover why. And stop getting advice from people on YouTube who make money selling this silly diet, which I assume is how you came across this as almost everyone does.@Angry cucumber

You have only seen the first level of this diet which is what most people are exposed to on youtube, and is monetized to an uneducated demographic. I am talking about a high fat, high carb, high protein diet rather than the publicized high card low fat diet.

Every single macro and micro nutrient that is required by the human being is available in fruit, and is actually more bio-available. The only vitamin that you cannot acquire is vitamin B12. Asserting your obviously undeveloped views on me is irritating. Don't do that, especially in such a passive aggressive way.

Original post by Rakas21
While there's no doubt that humans eat more meat than they need to there's also no real doubt (unless you believe in supplements) that humans do need to eat some types of meat (albeit more like once or twice per week). The Frutarian diet actually increases the amount of meat you'd need to eat to compensate for the fact that fruit is less nutritionally dense than vegetables.

Meat is explicitly less nutritionally dense, you're being mislead by the fact that vegetable and fruit have a high volume of water.

High sugar content. Not good to eat just this.
Original post by Supersaps
We're omnivores. We can get food from so many sources, that's part of our evolution.

Also, pretty difficult to get protein unless you're eating a vast quantity of beans and lentils.

The human needs 15 grams of protein a day to have a healthy protein intake, this amount can easily be attained with a fruit diet.

Were only able to eat cooked meats, this essentially makes the fact that we're omnivores debatable as during our first stages of development as a species we would have been surviving primarily on raw foods.
Good Lord.

Have you discovered that fool 'Freelee The Banana Girl' on Youtube/Instagram or something?

What about the humans of a few hundred years ago? They wouldn't have access to exotic fruits or the climate to grow them. These fruits were probably very expensive to obtain. Exotic fruits aren't the best for you anyway..

Fruit should never be a large constitute of your diet. Stick to the lower calorie fruits like blueberries, apples etc.

Why are people obsessed with trying to mimic the whole paleo/caveman diet. Just eat protein/veg/some fruits/some seeds/some fats and you'll be fine.
Original post by MountKimbie
Good Lord.

Have you discovered that fool 'Freelee The Banana Girl' on Youtube/Instagram or something?

She's a bitch right?

Nah I've been speaking to a Norwegian friend; he has a channel that you should check out

[video="youtube;eEoKBZfa3yo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEoKBZfa3yo[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

I'm not disagreeing that the human diet needs to include more than fresh fruit, but it definitely doesn't need to contain meat. The millions of vegetarians who are living healthily worldwide make that obvious.
Original post by SophieSmall
The fruitarian diet is frankly idiotic and not healthy.

Do some proper (non biased) research into it, along with some proper research into human nutrition to discover why. And stop getting advice from people on YouTube who make money selling this silly diet, which I assume is how you came across this as almost everyone does.

@Angry cucumber

Not healthy would have sufficed. You are being unnecessarily combatative here Sophie.
Original post by MountKimbie
What about the humans of a few hundred years ago? They wouldn't have access to exotic fruits or the climate to grow them. These fruits were probably very expensive to obtain. Exotic fruits aren't the best for you anyway..

Fruit should never be a large constitute of your diet. Stick to the lower calorie fruits like blueberries, apples etc.

Why are people obsessed with trying to mimic the whole paleo/caveman diet. Just eat protein/veg/some fruits/some seeds/some fats and you'll be fine.

I'm naturally a healthy eater as I never crave artificial food sources. The diet made complete sense to me, when I overheard people saying 'everything gives you cancer nowadays'. This made me contemplate that as all foods we modernized humans believe are natural (red meat, fish, milk, bread) are all carcinogens. Yes all are good for you but not in anything close to abundance. The only food source good in abundance is fruit, not even vegetables are healthy in abundance.

People have a notion tethered to sugar that it is bad, but what don't consider is that our perception of sugar relates to artificial sugar and not fructose -- fructose cannot lead to any blood pressure related disease even with an abundant intake.

Maybe neglecting the 'cave-man' diet was a core mistake.
I'm naturally a healthy eater as I never crave artificial food sources. The diet made complete sense to me, when I overheard people saying 'everything gives you cancer nowadays'. This made me contemplate that as all foods we modernized humans believe are natural (red meat, fish, milk, bread) are all carcinogens. Yes all are good for you but not in anything close to abundance. The only food source good in abundance is fruit, not even vegetables are healthy in abundance.

People have a notion tethered to sugar that it is bad, but what don't consider is that our perception of sugar relates to artificial sugar and not fructose -- fructose cannot lead to any blood pressure related disease even with an abundant intake.

Maybe neglecting the 'cave-man' diet was a core mistake.

Do you think the fruit and vegetables we eat are any more 'natural' than the milk we drink or meat we eat? We can buy fresh meat reared responsibly and drink fresh milk with no added hormones. Have you ever seen a true, wild avacado? They are extremely small. The fruit/veg we eat have been altered/bred over thousands/millions of years for more sweetness, size or a certain flavour profile.
What is natural?

Thanks for sharing the link to your friends channel. I checked out a couple of videos. It's a cool channel, I love to see people travel the world and locate local, fresh produce. They seem like nice guys, but they are really misinformed. As soon as they bring science into the equation, they get it really, really wrong.

Fructose, like all sugars, can cause health complications. It absolutely can cause cardiometabolic diseases.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by apronedsamurai
Not healthy would have sufficed. You are being unnecessarily combatative here Sophie.

You didn't need to defend me but that is irrelevant because I appreciate that, I liked it a lot.

Nonetheless I thrive in combative environments :smile:
I hate to point out the blindingly obvious but ....

Our ancestors clearly did not eat some of those fruits as they skipped through the African rainforest because they aren't native plants to Africa.

Quick Reply

Latest