The Student Room Group

SHOULD I wear glasses full time or part time

Will either way cause harm to my eyes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonbabes

I ve had glasses for about a year and a half and wear them part time and there's no harm done so far. What did the optician say to you?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I ve had glasses for about a year and a half and wear them part time and there's no harm done so far. What did the optician say to you?

He said either way makes no difference, but would recommend wearing it full time. I'm just ganna stick to part time
He said either way makes no difference, but would recommend wearing it full time. I'm just ganna stick to part time

I pretty much have mine on my head so I can wear them when I fancy.
Reply 4
What's your prescription?

As a future optometrist I'll say there is no difference either way. No harm proven from not wearing glasses and from wearing them full time.
However, from my own experience, once you start wearing them full-time, you will find it harder and harder seeing without them on...
Reply 5
I wore mine part time through the last ~2 years of school. (I got them when i was 15, -2.0 prescription). Ended up wearing full time not long after leaving school, just became so much less effort and actually being able to see **** 100% of the time was nice. Although my prescription changed to -2.25 5 years later after I was prescribed -2.0. Really have no idea what to make of that :biggrin:.
Reply 6
Original post by CAElite
I wore mine part time through the last ~2 years of school. (I got them when i was 15, -2.0 prescription). Ended up wearing full time not long after leaving school, just became so much less effort and actually being able to see **** 100% of the time was nice. Although my prescription changed to -2.25 5 years later after I was prescribed -2.0. Really have no idea what to make of that :biggrin:.

There is nothing to make of that, rather than you will see blurry from more than 50cm...
I am sure you noticed that without glasses now you see much less...
Reply 7
Original post by Kathy89
There is nothing to make of that, rather than you will see blurry from more than 50cm...
I am sure you noticed that without glasses now you see much less...

Yeah actually. No idea what the actual correction numbers mean. When I was 17 I could remember JUST being able to make the legal requirement to drive with my vision unaided (read a standard plate from 20.5m). Now I would say Im not even close even though my prescription only changed by 12.5%.

I need to spend less time staring at bloody screens :biggrin:.
Reply 8
Original post by CAElite
Yeah actually. No idea what the actual correction numbers mean. When I was 17 I could remember JUST being able to make the legal requirement to drive with my vision unaided (read a standard plate from 20.5m). Now I would say Im not even close even though my prescription only changed by 12.5%.

I need to spend less time staring at bloody screens :biggrin:.

and less time wearing glasses...
Reply 9
Original post by Kathy89
What's your prescription?

As a future optometrist I'll say there is no difference either way. No harm proven from not wearing glasses and from wearing them full time.
However, from my own experience, once you start wearing them full-time, you will find it harder and harder seeing without them on...

I'm going to stick wearing it part time as the optician said my eye sight went slightly worse. I think my prescription was 2.25

Original post by CAElite

I'm confused myself lol
Reply 10
I got glasses at 16 and at first wore them part time. But by the time I was due another eye test I was wearing them full time because my headaches had came back.

I'm now 19 and I wear them full time. I have to for uni.
Reply 11
Original post by Airmed
I got glasses at 16 and at first wore them part time. But by the time I was due another eye test I was wearing them full time because my headaches had came back.

I'm now 19 and I wear them full time. I have to for uni.

Did your eyesight worsen
Reply 12
Did your eyesight worsen

Yep.
I was prescribed with glasses when I was 13, started really wearing the at 16-17.
On several occasions I was wearing them full-time, when I did my vision got to the point I couldn't even read without them.
Now I wear them much less and my vision improved, I can even use the computer without them sometimes.

I wear glasses only if I have to. My eyesight deteriorates further when I wear them often.
i have a stigmatism and should wear them all the time when out but i never do :/ dunno why, just used to being without them i guess but it means my eyes cant focus properly so things are always blurry
Well when do you see yourself wearing them.
If you wear them all the time unnecessarily your eyes can get used to it and you'll find that your eyesight can worsen.
I used to wear glasses part time between the ages of 13 and 16 - then 17-18 i wore them full time cos eye sight got worse and now i wear contacts because i hate glasses - left dents at the top of my nose looool.
It just depends on you really - if you feel the need to wear them all the time, then do so.
I got prescribed glasses at the age of 8 i know terrible! I never used to wear them but started to wear them full time at 14 (im now 15 almost 16) and to honest i dont really feel like theres a bid difference so i would reccommend only wearing them when you need them. I would also reccommed contact but im way too scared to get them incase anything goes wrong!

My optician told me that if I didn't wear my glasses full time my eyes would deteriorate. Did I listen? Of course not. Did they deteriorate? Oh boy, yes. I really regret it now...

Quick Reply