The Student Room Group

Is it hard doing UCAS alone (without direct help from school) ?

Hey guys
So I'm thinking of applying to uni during a gap year. My school has said that they would help with personal statements and references etc which I thought was good. However, a friend explained it would still be difficult but I wondered why...Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys
So I'm thinking of applying to uni during a gap year. My school has said that they would help with personal statements and references etc which I thought was good. However, a friend explained it would still be difficult but I wondered why...Any thoughts?

As long as you ve got a referee sorted you should be okay doing it yourself :smile:
It shouldn't be stressful as long as you have a good referee, you know exactly what you want to do and where.
The personal statement is the hardest thing but since your school said they would help, there should be no problems.
Why did the friend say it would be difficult because i'm struggling to see why. I applied for UCAS this year as an individual it's not hard don't worry. :smile:
I don't think so, I applied as an individual applicant after I finished sixth form and there weren't any issues as long as you have the reference and personal statement sorted and filled it out properly.
If you are confident you know what you are doing then do it yourself. Like everyone else I cnat see why it would be hard.
If the school have offered to help then a quick check of your application by someone impartial wouldnt do you any harm.
I did it on my own! The only stressful thing was the referee :tongue:
yeah I got into Imperial and UCL on my own - It's not a problem

Good luck
Hey guys

If you're going to have a reference, and they're willing to help with personal statements, I'm not sure what extra a school would usually do? Perhaps they might check all your qualifications were entered correctly, but this isn't hard to do, just sometimes a little time consuming.

I re-applied after dropping out without any help from my school except a reference and it wasn't any harder than applying through school.

Perhaps you should ask your friend to explain what they mean?
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
As long as you ve got a referee sorted you should be okay doing it yourself :smile:

Oh ok awesome.
May I just ask though, what exactly is a referee needed for? This may sound like a silly question lol but what exactly does a ref do? Initially I had thought I would only need a referee to do my predicted grades but because I would have actual grades I wouldn't need a referee but I've realised so far I'm wrong.
Reply 9
Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone that replied :h: really appreciate your help <3
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Nope. Only thing i needed my school for was a reference.
Oh ok awesome.
May I just ask though, what exactly is a referee needed for? This may sound like a silly question lol but what exactly does a ref do? Initially I had thought I would only need a referee to do my predicted grades but because I would have actual grades I wouldn't need a referee but I've realised so far I'm wrong.

You ll need a reference for your application, they talk about your academic ability ect.
Reply 12
You ll need a reference for your application, they talk about your academic ability ect.

Oh so a referee is just someone who does your reference? If so that's good since my head of year has said he would do my reference for me.
I did it on my own and it was pretty straight forward.
Oh so a referee is just someone who does your reference? If so that's good since my head of year has said he would do my reference for me.

Yes :smile:
I think would be the perfect person to help with this situation :smile:

In that case, it's quite likely that the school will insist that you apply through them anyway as it is easier from their point of view. Make sure you find out what thieir policy is before setting up your UCAS account.
Reply 17
Yes :smile:

Awesome, thanks again!
Reply 18
Original post by Minerva
In that case, it's quite likely that the school will insist that you apply through them anyway as it is easier from their point of view. Make sure you find out what thieir policy is before setting up your UCAS account.

Oh I see. Will do.
Reply 19
Original post by jawsontheflooor
It shouldn't be stressful as long as you have a good referee, you know exactly what you want to do and where.
The personal statement is the hardest thing but since your school said they would help, there should be no problems.
Why did the friend say it would be difficult because i'm struggling to see why. I applied for UCAS this year as an individual it's not hard don't worry. :smile:

hey, I was just wondering, does UCAS send an instant email to the referee upon entering the referee's email address? or do they take more time? I'm kinda freaking out because I still didn't enter my referees details yet and I'm afraid ill miss the deadline if they contact my referee after a while

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending