The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Gul89 and @Biryani007 What does Afghanistan count as?

Is it South Asia, Middle East or Central Asia, all of the aforementioned or none of them?
That's always confused me, like where does it come under? Some people just group it with South Asia.
Original post by Aghareza
I suppose; however, I am told I look extremely distinct, to that of an average stereotypical middle eastern.

What do you mean you look extremely distinct? I easily class you as iranian from 10 miles away
Original post by Jebedee
How can you be proud of something you didn't choose?

Indeed, it would be more appropriate to be 'glad' or even 'grateful'.
Original post by Mancini
Oh my, Persia still exists ? Wow!

Persian is an ethnicity.

61% of Iranians (in Iran) are Persian (16% Azeri, 10% Kurds, etc).
Original post by Gul89
Sorry but I feel I'm going to have to call this

I just a guy make a thread about how Pakistanis are closer to Arabs, then they are too Indians. SMH, the number of times I've heard a light skin pakistani tell me that they are Afghan, Persian, Arab what not and I catch them out is disgraceful.

Why am I offended? Because my culture is being used by people who don't know about it. Be proud of yours, look pride is one of the key things in life that we've adopted over here, be proud of yourself if you wanna be like Afghans or what not. I don't know why some of you do this, is to get rid of your hindu ancestory? Lol don't forget Afghanistan was Buddhist before, and Iran had that Zorotorisian religion.

I've been to Pakistan were people never lie about this kind of stuff, the best people I met there were poor religious people helping out refugees in disadvantaged areas, there some poor man over there that saved thousands of lives with ambulances and what not.
The only type of Pakistanis I find I like are believe it or not Liberal Punjabis, they're not ashamed of there culture and some of the chillest guys to hang around, I think someone like Lord Samosa dude on TSR is represent as one, another one I can think from the top of my head is brokenlife, im sure I read there posts they didn't seem too fussed about there ethnic origins/ and the Pakistanis in Pakistan, where I stayed for a short while was mixed of various various ethnic groups, but no one thought of each other as lesser or inferior, I have major issues with the government but the people were very kind hearted, and I laugh at the ones here who deny there heritage, I've been Norway too and met quite a lot there all of them showed there normal hospiitality there, and never thought the need to lie aboutt hemselves (Y)

the thing is that it was a few weeks ago I was working in my shop when some guy told me that he from Kpk provience, I asked him how he was and dude literally said 'erm I can't speak it' then ran out the shop. Look my view on Pashtunistan and an ethnic homeland is strong but I realise that it may not happen, so unless Pakistanis all love to love each other and there ownselves it's going to turn out badly

Original post by Petulia
Pashtuns are people who originally came from Iran but live in Afghanistan and Pakistan. These people ARE more closely related to Iranians than they are to Indians, hence they even share the languages with them. They have every right to claim this.
The Punjab region of Pakistan is obviously more closely related to India. You need to acknowledge that just because you're from Pakistan, that doesn't mean you have the exact same ancestry and origins as someone who was born on the other side of Pakistan where the history is completely different.

people that do this are always so annoying, and it's usually the people that look pakistani/indian AF and could no way be arab.

Original post by Petulia
Pashtuns are people who originally came from Iran but live in Afghanistan and Pakistan. These people ARE more closely related to Iranians than they are to Indians, hence they even share the languages with them. They have every right to claim this.
The Punjab region of Pakistan is obviously more closely related to India. You need to acknowledge that just because you're from Pakistan, that doesn't mean you have the exact same ancestry and origins as someone who was born on the other side of Pakistan where the history is completely different.

despite all of whatever the **** is this, all the pashtuns I know identify themselves as pakistani....
Original post by TheTruthTeller
What do you mean you look extremely distinct? I easily class you as iranian from 10 miles away

as in distinct from other middle easterners - distinctly persian (i assume)
Original post by Anonymous
people that do this are always so annoying, and it's usually the people that look pakistani/indian AF and could no way be arab.

despite all of whatever the **** is this, all the pashtuns I know identify themselves as pakistani....

There's usually some tension between Afghan Pashtuns and Pakistani Pashtuns, because the ones who live in Afghanistan don't accept Pakistanis as part of their ethnic group and insist that the Pakistani Pashtans aren't real Pashtans and that they don't orginate from the same place etc, but that's another story. I would say though that I wasn't really aware of all the issues that certain ethnic groups from Pakistan have when it comes to proving their heritage and origins until I noticed how often people argue about this stuff on social media. Most of these ethnic feuds are definitely caused by British Pakistanis and Afghans in my opinion, because back home there's a lot more acceptance of the different ethnic groups in Pakistan since it's normal to them and they see it every day, compared to in the UK where generally most Pakistanis are brown skinned and people just put it down to whitening creams whenever they see one of us with fair skin.
Original post by Petulia
There's usually some tension between Afghan Pashtuns and Pakistani Pashtuns, because the ones who live in Afghanistan don't accept Pakistanis as part of their ethnic group and insist that the Pakistani Pashtans aren't real Pashtans and that they don't orginate from the same place etc, but that's another story. I would say though that I wasn't really aware of all the issues that certain ethnic groups from Pakistan have when it comes to proving their heritage and origins until I noticed how often people argue about this stuff on social media. Most of these ethnic feuds are definitely caused by British Pakistanis and Afghans in my opinion, because back home there's a lot more acceptance of the different ethnic groups in Pakistan since it's normal to them and they see it every day, compared to in the UK where generally most Pakistanis are brown skinned and people just put it down to whitening creams whenever they see one of us with fair skin.

noone has ever told me I used whitening cream and I'm light af, then again my whole mom's side is too???????????
maybe cause I don't live around other desi people (which I am SO GLAD OF hearing about all this online **** people make about light skin vs dark skin it absolutely disgusts me)

It physically repulses me that people make how light and dark someone is up or lower their worth, and those desi's that aren't lightskin and still think like that deserve any **** they get from the community because if they also have that mentality then shame on them.

maybe you could say i'm biased because I've never received any negativity, and even if I was around desi people probably wouldn't but I'm still sure there'd be one "auntie" commenting on how I could still be lighter or some stuck up ****.
and I'm anon because people will try and assume I'm being prestige for admitting that I'm lightskin.
Goodness gracious Lord! Can't even deal with inferiority complex amongst South Asians! Why do they even feel this way!? SERIOUSLY, this is one BIG issue between desis. Its one that really bothers me too! Do they not know their rich history?

I HATE to be called Arab. And no, not because I'm a racist or have something against Arabs but because I'm a proud and satisfied desi. I love myself, my skin tone, my culture(obviously, the good aspects, e.g. music, food, language etc) and my identity as a desi or Pakistani.

Then, comes the issue of dark v light skin. For heaven's sake, desis just stop. Stop right there. Think for a moment, please be thoughtful of the illogical stuff that comes out of your mouths! So a person's beauty is determined on their skin tone!? Get your life sorted out please. I've seen tons of light skin and dark skin desi girl who are beautiful!

I've seen tons of dark and light skin desi guys who are handsome. That's another thing that I prefer the ones with darker or browner complexion.:u:

Seriously, if you have issues with speaking your language in front of everyone or your desi clothes or eating your food in front of everyone, you need re-evaluate your life. That's like basically hating yourself. :colonhash:
noone has ever told me I used whitening cream and I'm light af, then again my whole mom's side is too???????????
maybe cause I don't live around other desi people (which I am SO GLAD OF hearing about all this online **** people make about light skin vs dark skin it absolutely disgusts me)

It physically repulses me that people make how light and dark someone is up or lower their worth, and those desi's that aren't lightskin and still think like that deserve any **** they get from the community because if they also have that mentality then shame on them.

maybe you could say i'm biased because I've never received any negativity, and even if I was around desi people probably wouldn't but I'm still sure there'd be one "auntie" commenting on how I could still be lighter or some stuck up ****.

I've never really seen the younger generation make so much of a fuss about it. It's just a bad mentality the older lot have, hopefully it'll get better after each generation.
Original post by Lord Samosa
I've never really seen the younger generation make so much of a fuss about it. It's just a bad mentality the older lot have, hopefully it'll get better after each generation.

you don't use twitter then?
perhaps our generation is not as direct about it...

I agree it's still better than before though.
Original post by RayApparently
Indeed, it would be more appropriate to be 'glad' or even 'grateful'.

Just glad, "grateful" implies you were granted your race by another.
You seriously need help if you're lying about your ethnicity... bruh, that's just sad..

On a more serious note, maybe we should be looking into what it is that's making them want to lie about this and tackle the issue that way. Perhaps encourage parents to teach their children about their heritage and hopefully this mentality will fade away. I find it sad that even in this day and age, people still care about skin colour. Why do you bloody care about whether or not you are team light skin? Please. Sit down mate and be happy and feel blessed.
Original post by Aghareza
--Also for the record; I am Persian.

Or Iranian...? Lol
Original post by posthumus
Actually it is Pakistani Punjabis who are okay with giving up their mother tongue and culture... Punjabi.

All other provinces seem to have some sort of movement to fight for independence and their mother tongue. As the Bengalis did so in forming Bangladesh.

Errm..sorry?

I'm a Pakistani Punjaban and I LOVE my Punjabi culture, music, food, language and what not. The only thing that I refuse to adapt to is sexist, discriminative and racist stuff that can be easily found in desi culture. Otherwise, I'm extremely satisfied, happy and proud of my desi culture. I'm a pure Punjaban who isn't afraid to tell people about bhangra, punjabi boli, or eating makayi di roti with saag in front of everyone. :u:
you don't use twitter then?
perhaps our generation is not as direct about it...

I agree it's still better than before though.

I used to, I imagine the type that say sort of stuff aren't worth paying attention to anyway.

Yeah, some progress is better than none. Hopefully it'll continue to get better.
The colourism issues in South Asians is pathetic, like grow up. :colonhash: Especially when there are 50/ 60 year old aunts commenting on a girls complexion, honestly grow up! There is more to life than light skin VS dark skin.

It's sad because they are racist, in their own culture it's just colourism but their attitudes towards black people are completely racist.

Humans will always find a way to divide themselves...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gul89
Sorry but I feel I'm going to have to call this

I just a guy make a thread about how Pakistanis are closer to Arabs, then they are too Indians. SMH, the number of times I've heard a light skin pakistani tell me that they are Afghan, Persian, Arab what not and I catch them out is disgraceful.

Why am I offended? Because my culture is being used by people who don't know about it. Be proud of yours, look pride is one of the key things in life that we've adopted over here, be proud of yourself if you wanna be like Afghans or what not. I don't know why some of you do this, is to get rid of your hindu ancestory? Lol don't forget Afghanistan was Buddhist before, and Iran had that Zorotorisian religion.

I've been to Pakistan were people never lie about this kind of stuff, the best people I met there were poor religious people helping out refugees in disadvantaged areas, there some poor man over there that saved thousands of lives with ambulances and what not.
The only type of Pakistanis I find I like are believe it or not Liberal Punjabis, they're not ashamed of there culture and some of the chillest guys to hang around, I think someone like Lord Samosa dude on TSR is represent as one, another one I can think from the top of my head is brokenlife, im sure I read there posts they didn't seem too fussed about there ethnic origins/ and the Pakistanis in Pakistan, where I stayed for a short while was mixed of various various ethnic groups, but no one thought of each other as lesser or inferior, I have major issues with the government but the people were very kind hearted, and I laugh at the ones here who deny there heritage, I've been Norway too and met quite a lot there all of them showed there normal hospiitality there, and never thought the need to lie aboutt hemselves (Y)

the thing is that it was a few weeks ago I was working in my shop when some guy told me that he from Kpk provience, I asked him how he was and dude literally said 'erm I can't speak it' then ran out the shop. Look my view on Pashtunistan and an ethnic homeland is strong but I realise that it may not happen, so unless Pakistanis all love to love each other and there ownselves it's going to turn out badly

Aww thanks for mentioning me. I'm CERTAINLY not ashamed of being a desi.

I'm desi and proud!:bhangra: In fact, I make my goray friends listen to Punjabi songs.:u:

Beat that.:rock:
Original post by Legendary Quest
You seriously need help if you're lying about your ethnicity... bruh, that's just sad..

On a more serious note, maybe we should be looking into what it is that's making them want to lie about this and tackle the issue that way. Perhaps encourage parents to teach their children about their heritage and hopefully this mentality will fade away. I find it sad that even in this day and age, people still care about skin colour. Why do you bloody care about whether or not you are team light skin? Please. Sit down mate and be happy and feel blessed.

for black people it's because people (usually the males) make jokes about darkskin females being cockroaches and having ugly pussy etc which is like wtf you're literally black too? It's extra absurd when dark black males say stuff like this about their females (literally that "joke" about a cockroach covered in jewels being a darkskin girl on her way to prom)

for desi's it's because the generation above them treat lighter skins better, it's all in their media to make yourself lighter because it's more attractive, sometimes people will get marriage proposals just because they are white.

Original post by Lord Samosa
I used to, I imagine the type that say sort of stuff aren't worth paying attention to anyway.

Yeah, some progress is better than none. Hopefully it'll continue to get better.

I agree

some of the people that make those jokes are twitter savages and usually have really funny tweets thus alot of followers.

Latest

Trending

Trending