The Student Room Group

Confused with my university future

I've received offers from 5 universities for 2016 that all need around 300 ucas points, but I still don't 100% know if I want to go to them.

I have been to open days for some of them etc but still don't feel like I know them well enough to just decide to spend the next 3/4 years there. Even then there's a good chance I'll get a lot better than 300 ucas points so I may look at uni's I don't even have offers for. Would I have to go a year later if I did that? What I'm asking is should I go and secure accommodation and student finance if nothing is yet concrete with my uni options?
Reply 1
Original post by JohnGreek
You can apply for student finance without having firmed/insured anything.

Have you thought about rejecting all your options and going through Adjustment right now, or Clearing after results day?

I think I'd rather go through clearing, but would clearing enable me to move from 300 ucas point courses to 360 ucas point courses?
Original post by DrBeef
I think I'd rather go through clearing, but would clearing enable me to move from 300 ucas point courses to 360 ucas point courses?

Adjustment would be a good risk free option for you.
Reply 3
Original post by JohnGreek
Depends on what is available on the day. Clearing is a bit of a risk, as you don't know how good the courses available are, and how quickly they'll disappear. Generally speaking, I imagine that courses that ask for UCAS points instead of A-level grades tend to be feature a lot more commonly in it, even though you'd have to have to research whether the specific courses you're interested in were available in the past years. What are you applying to?

I've applied for business management style courses at Nottingham Trent, Lincoln, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Beckett and bath spa. They all need around BBC and the universities I was hoping get into were Loughborough, Birmingham and Bath which need AAB. It all comes down to results day really, but I'm just sort of saying I would rather go to an AAB uni than a BBC uni if I get the grades on results day
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Adjustment would be a good risk free option for you.

Could you explain adjustment to me or give me any links? I've never read into it. I thought the main options were clearing or reapplying a year later.
Original post by DrBeef
Could you explain adjustment to me or give me any links? I've never read into it. I thought the main options were clearing or reapplying a year later.

Basically if you get higher grades than what your firm choice offer is then an adjustment button appears if you click yes. You then have 5 working days to call up universities about adjustment places,if you find one you like you can ask them to put it through on UCAS, if you don't find one you like then you can still chose to go to your firm choice. Not all universities offer adjustment places but I think only 5 or so had none at all last year.
Reply 6
Basically if you get higher grades than what your firm choice offer is then an adjustment button appears if you click yes. You then have 5 working days to call up universities about adjustment places,if you find one you like you can ask them to put it through on UCAS, if you don't find one you like then you can still chose to go to your firm choice. Not all universities offer adjustment places but I think only 5 or so had none at all last year.

Do I have to do anything for that now? Or is this a process that happens on/post results day?
Original post by DrBeef
Do I have to do anything for that now? Or is this a process that happens on/post results day?

It will automatically offer you the option on results day :smile:
Reply 8
It will automatically offer you the option on results day :smile:

Ok thank you very much for your time!
I need some sleep now though haha
Original post by DrBeef
Ok thank you very much for your time!
I need some sleep now though haha

No problem, there will be plenty of people about on tsr if you need help on results day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending