The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legendary Quest
Or Iranian...? Lol

tfw i already addressed this point on this page (post #24) :sigh:
Original post by Anonymous
for black people it's because people (usually the males) make jokes about darkskin females being cockroaches and having ugly pussy etc which is like wtf you're literally black too? It's extra absurd when dark black males say stuff like this about their females (literally that "joke" about a cockroach covered in jewels being a darkskin girl on her way to prom)

for desi's it's because the generation above them treat lighter skins better, it's all in their media to make yourself lighter because it's more attractive, sometimes people will get marriage proposals just because they are white.

That's really sad. One would expect the younger generation to be the ones who try to change this and support equality. I mean, you don't exactly get to pick your skin colour! (Unless you bleach or something...).

I suppose changing a large group of peoples' mentality and standards of beauty is always going to be difficult.
Reply 42
I do not think South Asian culture has this problem. Red Blooded Hindus are extremely proud about their past. India might have lost a lot in the past, but it will never do so again. Even if it means a nuclear holocaust.

You will find inferiority complex cucks of the "my culture is ****! everyone else is better!" in every culture. Liberals generally exemplify this, in the West, in India, in China, whevever they appear. Think of the white guilt losers in the West.

But I have come to the sad conclusion that Islam seems to generate feelings of inferiority. Those liberal Punjabis do not have the feeling of inferiority because they are very loosely Muslim.

Their religion teaches them that they are the best. But across the world, in terms of military power or economic strength, they are not. Countries that were for centuries subjugated by Muslims do better than traditional Muslim countries do in every area. The best examples are India, Greece, and Spain.

The strongest Islamic country, Iran, has it's own type of Islam that is basically an expression of it's Zoroastrian past and refusal to conform with Sunni Islam. Iranians, as far as I know, have little feeling of inferiority.

Pakistanis feel inferior because Indians humiliated them in 3 wars, diplomatically outmanoeuvred them and helped push them to status of international pariah state, despite doing equally bad things (if not worse) than Pakistanis did. National pride is a huge part of Male dignity and self-worth, and if there's not much to be proud about your country, then you will identify with some ancestors worth being proud about. Like Shah Jahan, Akbar and Aurungzeb: Afghans / Turks.

I have a lot of love for aspects of Muslim culture that are capable of preserving their heritage. But it seems to come at the cost of creating a culture of inferiority that keeps Muslim men insecure (and hence violent) enough to lash out constantly against anything that is a perceived threat.

It seems, really sadly to me, that the best way for Muslims to not feel inferior is to live among their own kind.
Original post by mkap
i get what you mean, like when i was in high school/college clear pakistanis used to say theyre from Kenya or Persian when you know there whole family history :rofl:

i love being indian/south asian, im never sahamed of it

Its not only Pakistanis. Its an issue within the whole of South Asia. I have seen so many Indians acting prestige when it comes to their culture too. It would be wrong to just classify Pakistanis into this category. In fact, if anything, from my experience, many Pakistanis are open about their culture. Note that I'm not denying that some do not feel comfortable. :smile:
Original post by Shillary
tfw i already addressed this point on this page (post #24) :sigh:

Oh, apologies. Aint nobody got time to read every post :biggrin:

(PS. Still Iranian :-))
Reply 45
That's really sad. One would expect the younger generation to be the ones who try to change this and support equality. I mean, you don't exactly get to pick your skin colour! (Unless you bleach or something...).

I suppose changing a large group of peoples' mentality and standards of beauty is always going to be difficult.

You cannot change mentality or standards of beauty. You can only accept that they will not find you beautiful, and go to people who do find you beautiful. :smile:

exactly, it's changing though so we have hope.
In jamaica there's an actual bleaching problem apparently because girls use harmful stuff, even some guys do it.

Exactly, I guess maybe if more influential people made a stand. I really liked that drake had a thing for Serena Williams lol that so was cute especially cause 1. she's darkskin 2. some people were bashing her for being manly (but I guess the second point is subjective)

Original post by 41b
I do not think South Asian culture has this problem.

WRONG. you clearly don't know many non-muslim desi's then matey.
It's not specifically islam, it's the culture. Even the sikhs, the indian christians etc can do this .... just shut up m8.
Reply 47
Everyone bitches about skin colour but when it comes to food we know we're the best :rofl:

Original post by 41b

Pakistanis feel inferior because Indians humiliated them in 3 wars, diplomatically outmanoeuvred them and helped push them to status of international pariah state, despite doing equally bad things (if not worse) than Pakistanis did. National pride is a huge part of Male dignity and self-worth, and if there's not much to be proud about your country, then you will identify with some ancestors worth being proud about. Like Shah Jahan, Akbar and Aurungzeb: Afghans / Turks.

Don't forget about cricket too :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
Everyone bitches about skin colour but when it comes to food we know we're the best :rofl:

Don't forget about cricket too :tongue:

Still not ashamed or feel inferior of being a Pakistani though. Its my identity and I'm proud of it. Green is my life, green for life no matter what!:u:

Btw hope you're okay? :smile:
Reply 49

It's not specifically islam, it's the culture. Even the sikhs, the indian christians etc can do this .... just shut up m8.

There is no such thing as an Indian Christian. Any Christians finding themselves in India should leave. Immediately.

As for Sikhs, I don't know many Sikhs. That is true. And it is also true that Punjab was the British Indian Army's biggest recruiting ground. And they fought for ages for Khalistan.

Maybe Sikhs need to leave India too? :wink:
exactly, it's changing though so we have hope.
In jamaica there's an actual bleaching problem apparently because girls use harmful stuff, even some guys do it.

Exactly, I guess maybe if more influential people made a stand. I really liked that drake had a thing for Serena Williams lol that so was cute especially cause 1. she's darkskin 2. some people were bashing her for being manly (but I guess the second point is subjective)

OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH,ANON! :biggrin: That last part is so damn true!! Asians care more for their culture than religion. ITS ALL TO DO WITH CULTURE, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION!!
Original post by 41b
There is no such thing as an Indian Christian. Any Christians finding themselves in India should leave. Immediately.

As for Sikhs, I don't know many Sikhs. That is true. And it is also true that Punjab was the British Indian Army's biggest recruiting ground. And they fought for ages for Khalistan.

Maybe Sikhs need to leave India too? :wink:

You can be british, indian and christian. Nationality, ethnicity, and religious identification.
There more christians in India than I had first assumed, for example in Goa - where an indian I know is from, who was also raised christian.

Britain f**ked over alot of countries. Yes I guess and alot of people say that light skin preference can stem from 'being ruled by white people alot'.
Original post by BrokenLife
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH,ANON! :biggrin: That last part is so damn true!! Asians care more for their culture than religion. ITS ALL TO DO WITH CULTURE, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION!!

if you really loved me you would rep me

Spoiler

if you really loved me you would rep me

Spoiler

I loved your response to that comment. And haha I've just repped you! :smile:
Reply 54
You can be british, indian and christian. Nationality, ethnicity, and religious identification.
There more christians in India than I had first assumed, for example in Goa - where an indian I know is from, who was also raised christian.

Britain f**ked over alot of countries. Yes I guess and alot of people say that light skin preference can stem from 'being ruled by white people alot'.

No. Your ethnicity is your nationality. It's why any self-respecting Jew in New York will do a lot for Israel, and why any self-respecting Indian in London will do a lot for India.

Where you chose to live is not who you are. You are bound by blood to your ancestors. Getting a British passport can not change that. You are a fool if you think otherwise. The best you can hope for, if for some reason you want to betray your heritage, is to find a white girl and marry her. Your kid will then be half British and half Indian.

FYI: those Christians in Goa should convert back to Hinduism, if they respect themselves. They were forcibly converted by Portuguese, mostly through torture. Look up the goa inquisition. It is not dissimilar to what Muslims did.
Reply 55
Original post by BrokenLife

What do you know about Muslim Men? You are a woman. You have no idea.

Oh, that's right, you're a feminist. You think you know everything.

By the way, if you went back to Pakistan and married a Muslim man, he would beat the feminism out of you very very quickly.

Happy repping. :smile:
Original post by Aghareza
--Also for the record; I am Persian.

You look like a Middle-Easterner to me. Although, I do know many Middle-Eastern people.
Original post by 41b
No. Your ethnicity is your nationality. It's why any self-respecting Jew in New York will do a lot for Israel, and why any self-respecting Indian in London will do a lot for India.

Where you chose to live is not who you are. You are bound by blood to your ancestors. Getting a British passport can not change that. You are a fool if you think otherwise. The best you can hope for, if for some reason you want to betray your heritage, is to find a white girl and marry her. Your kid will then be half British and half Indian.

FYI: those Christians in Goa should convert back to Hinduism, if they respect themselves. They were forcibly converted by Portuguese, mostly through torture. Look up the goa inquisition. It is not dissimilar to what Muslims did.

if you were born in britain... you have british nationality ffs. And so, british indian, british pakistani etc
mo farah for example - is somali, nationality "british" in fact he wasn't even born in britain yet still somehow..... whatever you get my point.

"You are bound by blood to your ancestors." yeah I know.

why would I marry a white girl? I'm a straight female. I am also not trying to betray my heritage, but that does not mean I have to marry someone of the same race as me LMAO. Are you one of those people that think mixed race kids are evidence of racial betrayal or something?
Original post by Aghareza
I suppose; however, I am told I look extremely distinct, to that of an average stereotypical middle eastern.

it must be the basketball you carry around on your shoulder.
Original post by 41b
What do you know about Muslim Men? You are a woman. You have no idea.

Oh, that's right, you're a feminist. You think you know everything.

By the way, if you went back to Pakistan and married a Muslim man, he would beat the feminism out of you very very quickly.

Happy repping. :smile:

Oh wow. What a generalisation! You know a lot about Muslim men clearly!

I ask you, what do you know about desi men?

Yes, I'm a feminist and no I don't know everything but I know my fair share about my desi culture.

Btw for your info, there are desi men in India and Sri Lanka too who aren't Muslim but would still treat women horribly. Also, for your info, I must add that I have Atheist friends with Atheist boyfriends who have physically abused them, surely they must be Muslims from inside too. But oh no, wait, let's generalise!

I could marry a desi Muslim, non-Muslim, agnostic or Atheist man living in the UK and he may still physically abuse me, reason being is that its their culture that has influenced them the MOST.

But no, stay happy generalising. :smile:

Latest