The Student Room Group

If I don't get into medicine a second time, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thad33
I get your points. However this person is qualified and has the passion, this should be enough to be educated in the subject you desperately want.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but lots of other people do too. It unfortunately boils down to supply and demand, and medicine has a serious surplus of very dedicated, enthusiastic applicants.

The admissions process needs changing and improving - but a large number of eminently qualified applicants will still end up disappointed because of just how popular the job is.

I don't think there are enough medical schools in the country.

One medical school per 1.5-2 million population is stated to be the general optimum - the UK meets that.
Original post by thad33
As children we're told we can do anything we set our minds to. Futures in our hands blah blah.
Yet there's a single admissions tutor (maybe one or two more) that decides the life path you're going to take. Sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it kind of does, but I also know in the back of my mind that if I want it enough I'll get there somehow.
I'm literally in the same position as you, didn't get in last year - only got a place for biomed. This year I got an interview and will hear back on Monday (UEA). Feel free to pm if you want, I'm happy to give advice if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Democracy
So three interviews this cycle - that's encouraging and suggests you applied strategically, which is what I would have suggested if you were to make another application.

First and foremost, I'd say (and I know it's easier said than done) try and be as patient as you can. You say you've yet to hear back so for all you know you might be headed for an offer this year. Three interviews means your chance should be very reasonable, so for all you know, you could be making plans for nothing.

From what you've written in this thread it seems like you've got a good application and you've clearly got no problems getting interviews. It's a pity that you've not been able to get official feedback as that could have been very useful, so I guess if you weren't successful this year you'd have to reflect on what might have let you down. Could it have been how you came across e.g. appearing very nervous, not making eye contact, etc? Or perhaps your answers weren't as in depth as they might have liked e.g. if they asked you an ethics question, did you talk about both sides of the argument before giving your own opinion?

The MMI format isn't for everyone, so if you were to make another application, maybe avoid schools which use it. Also, if you're going to re-apply, perhaps try and do a mock interview with a friend or family member? Rehearse in front of the mirror? Apologies if I'm telling you things you've already tried!

Ultimately I think it would be a shame if you applied for another degree when you've got the right qualifications for medicine and it's what you want to do. Personally I'd re-apply - some people just need a few attempts before getting in...but all you need is one offer, and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get one.

But most of all, try and stay positive for this year! Good luck.

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I did a mock interview with a couple of local GPs and they gave me some useful feedback and told me what helped them to get in. I've also developed a habit of talking to myself as I'm driving and answering questions on my own in the car. I probably look a bit odd but nevermind! I'm also staying with a friend at Keele the night before so I could ask her to last minute test me :smile: It's hard to stave off the self doubt but I'm going to try my best! Thank you!
Original post by Sloe&AppleJelly
I applied to medicine last year and didn't get in, and I've applied again this time with 3A*s under my belt and a good UKCAT score, I've also got some great work experience, but I feel like my interview skills might let me down. I know at Sheffield the different stations were very mixed for me. I've got an offer from Sheffield for a masters in biomedical science which I would have a small chance of transferring to medicine from, but I don't really want to study biomedical science. I want to be a doctor. I've considered other medical professions but none quite fit my skills like medicine does. Do I give up and pick something else, or is it worth applying a third time? Do I take it as a sign it's not for me and I should find something else, or should I stick to my guns?

I dont think you should go and study something else for the sake of it :smile:

A guy in my flat is 26 and it took him about 8 attempts to get an offer for medicine and he just worked at tesco in between applications
Original post by madmadmax321
I dont think you should go and study something else for the sake of it :smile:

A guy in my flat is 26 and it took him about 8 attempts to get an offer for medicine and he just worked at tesco in between applications

Wow, that's dedication! Did he also get more work experience or use his time travel? :smile:
Don't give up! This year was my third time applying as a graduate and I finally got an offer. If it's what you want to do then stay dedicated to it. If you don't mind studying, doing a first degree can really help you mature and get ready for a degree in medicine. If not, try and get a job in a field that gives you some work experience whilst you apply.
Hey there, I just got my fourth rejection today for medicine 😢. And this has been my second application now (on a gap year). I am considerintg and have done some homework around applying in the EU but I read some threads and think is it worth it to apply a third time? I'm quite lost atm and would appreciate any help, thanks 😊

Ps my stats are as follows:

GCSEs: 2A* 8A 1B (not stellar by any means I know)

A levels: AAAb

UKCAT: 648.5
(edited 8 years ago)
This is kind of my point, I have everything I technically need to get in, it's just the final hurdles that are the challenge. I'm on the borderline of getting in so I just wanted to see what others would say as to whether I go down a different route or give it another shot. :smile:

Good luck., be positive you might break it. I spent years getting in for something I wanted to do. You sound very close, so the only thing that seems to be challenging is interviews. thats just practice.

If you dont make it this year, try again imo as nothing else fits the bill, but be sure to get feedback. It's good you have your mum as an example and support.
In the end I was panicking over nothing. I got 3 offers and I'm going to Sheffield in September! I guess it's hard not to get worked up about something as big as getting into medicine, but at the same time me applying a second time was a blessing in disguise because now I'm much more ready for it and I'm going to my dream uni! Thanks for all your support guys, it helped a lot! :smile:
In the end I was panicking over nothing. I got 3 offers and I'm going to Sheffield in September! I guess it's hard not to get worked up about something as big as getting into medicine, but at the same time me applying a second time was a blessing in disguise because now I'm much more ready for it and I'm going to my dream uni! Thanks for all your support guys, it helped a lot! :smile:

I knew you would when reading this thread! Congratulations, make the most of it and enjoy :smile:

Congrats!
I applied to medicine last year and didn't get in, and I've applied again this time with 3A*s under my belt and a good UKCAT score, I've also got some great work experience, but I feel like my interview skills might let me down. I know at Sheffield the different stations were very mixed for me. I've got an offer from Sheffield for a masters in biomedical science which I would have a small chance of transferring to medicine from, but I don't really want to study biomedical science. I want to be a doctor. I've considered other medical professions but none quite fit my skills like medicine does. Do I give up and pick something else, or is it worth applying a third time? Do I take it as a sign it's not for me and I should find something else, or should I stick to my guns?

I am in the same dilemma. I have exactly the same situation as yours . I have got 3 A* and rejected from medical school after getting two interviews, hence decided to take a gap year instead of accepting biomedical. However I am not sure if i should apply to medical school again this year, what if I again get rejected after Interview. I am sure I will get an Interview.
I like patient contact and feel like medicine is the only profession I can enjoy compare to Pharmacy or biomedical.

What have you decided finally? Can you please suggest if that works for you?
Original post by chocolate13
I am in the same dilemma. I have exactly the same situation as yours . I have got 3 A* and rejected from medical school after getting two interviews, hence decided to take a gap year instead of accepting biomedical. However I am not sure if i should apply to medical school again this year, what if I again get rejected after Interview. I am sure I will get an Interview.
I like patient contact and feel like medicine is the only profession I can enjoy compare to Pharmacy or biomedical.

What have you decided finally? Can you please suggest if that works for you?

This thread is over 6 years old?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending