The Student Room Group

Struggles of A2 French

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eleanor27
translation is my biggest worry as its so unpredictable and not knowing one specific word can lose you so many marks!!
Absolutely love the oral exam- they're so much fun :biggrin:
Topic and book are great but we also do the film Jean de Florette which i hate to be honest ahahah
what about you?

I actually like the translation since there's more than one translation to a word. I dont like the oral exam tho because you are being put on the spot by an examiner? :frown: is your teacher examining or are you getting an external one?

I'm doing un long dimanche de financailles. Do you know the depth that you need to know of the film?
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Haha je sais pas y a des trucs que j'arrive pas à traduire des fois :P mais merci :h:
Et justement ton "guessing game" il est juste génial :lol:

Is this sentence correct :smile:

Pour bien apprécier la manière dont la société est dépeint, il convient de se pencher sur les aspects positifs et négatifs d'elle.
Original post by GeologyMaths
I actually like the translation since there's more than one translation to a word. I dont like the oral exam tho because you are being put on the spot by an examiner? :frown: is your teacher examining or are you getting an external one?

I'm doing un long dimanche de financailles. Do you know the depth that you need to know of the film?

We have an external examiner and it may seem weird but I love the whole thing! You get to argue about generally quite controversial topics :biggrin: then have an in depth literature discussion it's like my dream ahaha I rely on the oral to pull my marks up!(got 47/50 in my mock so was quite happy ngl :wink: )
Do you have an external examiner?
Think you have to know the film quite in depth especially things like character development, techniques, messages etc
Is this sentence correct :smile:

Pour bien apprécier la manière dont la société est dépeint, il convient de se pencher sur les aspects positifs et négatifs d'elle.

Almost ! :
Pour bien apprécier la manière dont la société est dépeinte, il convient de se pencher sur ses aspects positifs et négatifs
:smile:
Almost ! :
Pour bien apprécier la manière dont la société est dépeinte, il convient de se pencher sur ses aspects positifs et négatifs
:smile:

Thanks, doesn't d'elle work in this context?
Thanks, doesn't d'elle work in this context?

Not really , using "ses" (her) is better than "d'elle" (of her) for such a sentence ^^
Hi has anyone done/studied the algerian war?
We have an external examiner and it may seem weird but I love the whole thing! You get to argue about generally quite controversial topics :biggrin: then have an in depth literature discussion it's like my dream ahaha I rely on the oral to pull my marks up!(got 47/50 in my mock so was quite happy ngl :wink: )
Do you have an external examiner?
Think you have to know the film quite in depth especially things like character development, techniques, messages etc

Thanks

Yes i also have an external examiner, and he was really nice. Thought i did really bad but he gave me 42/50 :smile:. I think i have the same person. For the film, isnt there a set amount of Qs the examiner can ask such as messages, themes, author life, your best scene, the end, main characters. Like the obvious questions if you understand.

When you do the 20 mins preparation how do you prepare the oral card?
Hi FrenchUnicorn,
Is it alright if you could kindly correct any errors :smile:

Spoiler

Thanks

Yes i also have an external examiner, and he was really nice. Thought i did really bad but he gave me 42/50 :smile:. I think i have the same person. For the film, isnt there a set amount of Qs the examiner can ask such as messages, themes, author life, your best scene, the end, main characters. Like the obvious questions if you understand.

When you do the 20 mins preparation how do you prepare the oral card?

Not sure about the set amount of questions sorry...
I use the 20 minutes to write 4/5 points for my chosen opinion for the 1 minute speech argument thing you have to give at the start and make sure I've used all my tenses, subjunctives, structures etc :smile:
If i have written and checked my 4 points and still have spare time I'll jot down anything else related to the point that the examiner could bring up in the general debate
what about you?
Not sure about the set amount of questions sorry...
I use the 20 minutes to write 4/5 points for my chosen opinion for the 1 minute speech argument thing you have to give at the start and make sure I've used all my tenses, subjunctives, structures etc :smile:
If i have written and checked my 4 points and still have spare time I'll jot down anything else related to the point that the examiner could bring up in the general debate
what about you?

My teacher says we should do 5 points for and against so we can get a idea for what the examiner might say :smile: but it's kind of obvious what the examiner will say :smile:

Have you got an app called Quizlet? It's an app where you can add french words in form of flash cards
My teacher says we should do 5 points for and against so we can get a idea for what the examiner might say :smile: but it's kind of obvious what the examiner will say :smile:

Have you got an app called Quizlet? It's an app where you can add french words in form of flash cards

yeah I use quilt for Spanish and French- it's my life saver! My class have a group with all the vocab for topic film and book on it it was so useful for mocks :biggrin:
Personally, I don't write the for points if i'm doing against or vice versa as I'm thinking of those ideas while I'm writing my own to 'combat' them in some way...
trying to write my first film essay now and really struggling :/ it's on comparing 2 different characters arghhh hate film so much give me book any day!!!
yeah I use quilt for Spanish and French- it's my life saver! My class have a group with all the vocab for topic film and book on it it was so useful for mocks :biggrin:
Personally, I don't write the for points if i'm doing against or vice versa as I'm thinking of those ideas while I'm writing my own to 'combat' them in some way...
trying to write my first film essay now and really struggling :/ it's on comparing 2 different characters arghhh hate film so much give me book any day!!!

Here's mine if you want to add some of my words (hopefully i'll get to 1,000 words before the exam). :smile:
https://quizlet.com/116886391/aqa-a2-french-vocabulary-flash-cards/

Oh i didnt know you also did Spanish :smile: does it cause confusion doing two languages. Which one do you like better
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's mine if you want to add some of my words (hopefully i'll get to 1,000 words before the exam). :smile:
https://quizlet.com/116886391/aqa-a2-french-vocabulary-flash-cards/

Oh i didnt know you also did Spanish :smile: does it cause confusion doing two languages. Which one do you like better

thank you that's amazing! I think doing both is actually quite helpful as I do AQA for both so same topics! Can use ideas from one in the other and if I know a piece of vocab in one language but not the other generally I can just manipulate it to make sense! Like in my french mock translation the english to french had 'delinquency' in, which we'd done in spanish but not french so i turned 'delincuencia' into 'délinquance'!
Personally I prefer Spanish ahaha... It's my favourite subject and I'm doing it at uni! Just find it easier, I get better marks and speaking it fluently comes more naturally idk why....
thank you that's amazing! I think doing both is actually quite helpful as I do AQA for both so same topics! Can use ideas from one in the other and if I know a piece of vocab in one language but not the other generally I can just manipulate it to make sense! Like in my french mock translation the english to french had 'delinquency' in, which we'd done in spanish but not french so i turned 'delincuencia' into 'délinquance'!
Personally I prefer Spanish ahaha... It's my favourite subject and I'm doing it at uni! Just find it easier, I get better marks and speaking it fluently comes more naturally idk why....

Nice :smile: what uni's have you applied you? Have you heard back from them?

Also, what grade are you aiming for in french?

Also i did the same paper you did for the mock. The translation was something like juvenile deliquency lol :smile:
Nice :smile: what uni's have you applied you? Have you heard back from them?

Also, what grade are you aiming for in french?

I'm going to study Arabic and Spanish, had offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter and St Andrews. Was interviewed at Oxford but messed them up so much wasn't surprised when I was rejected phahahha :biggrin:
Will be firming Durham but unsure so far as to my insurance...
Aiming for an A* in French but honestly not sure that's gonna happen :/
What about you? What and where have you applied and what grades do you want?
I'm going to study Arabic and Spanish, had offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter and St Andrews. Was interviewed at Oxford but messed them up so much wasn't surprised when I was rejected phahahha :biggrin:
Will be firming Durham but unsure so far as to my insurance...
Aiming for an A* in French but honestly not sure that's gonna happen :/
What about you? What and where have you applied and what grades do you want?

Why don't you think you will get an A*? We've still got alot of time left till the exam. I'm also aiming for an A* and got a U in the mock lol but i didn't revise at all whatsoever (i got a B at AS tho).

And unlucky on the interview, what sort of questions were you asked and those you messed up on?

I applied for engineering, nothing related to french tho :smile: but it's always good to speak another language.
Hi FrenchUnicorn,
Is it alright if you could kindly correct any errors :smile:

Spoiler

Np ! <3

Bien que le marché noir fut interdit pendant la deuxième guerre mondiale, il était définitivement un aspect positif de la société. Il était aussi nécessaire puisqu'il y avait une pénurie d'aliment, et le marché noir était la seule façon que les français avaient de se procurer à manger. Dans son livre, Joseph Joffo décrit la nature de l'entreprise dans laquelle lui et ses camarades italiens ont été impliqués (l'échange des tomates pour l'huile qui est utilisée pour acheter les cigarettes etc.). En racontant ses souvenirs du marché noir, Joseph Joffo dit (la vie était belle). Au-delà de l'aspect économique qui rend le marché noir positif, il était aussi un façon pour Jo de se faire des amis avec les italiens. Il a aussi donné à Joseph Joffo des leçons de vie importantes, et j'estime que sans le marché noir, ses yeux n'auraient pas été aussi ouverts.

:h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Np ! <3

Bien que le marché noir fut interdit pendant la deuxième guerre mondiale, il était définitivement un aspect positif de la société. Il était aussi nécessaire puisqu'il y avait une pénurie d'aliment, et le marché noir était la seule façon que les français avaient de se procurer à manger. Dans son livre, Joseph Joffo décrit la nature de l'entreprise dans laquelle lui et ses camarades italiens ont été impliqués (l'échange des tomates pour l'huile qui est utilisée pour acheter les cigarettes etc.). En racontant ses souvenirs du marché noir, Joseph Joffo dit (la vie était belle). Au-delà de l'aspect économique qui rend le marché noir positif, il était aussi un façon pour Jo de se faire des amis avec les italiens. Il a aussi donné à Joseph Joffo des leçons de vie importantes, et j'estime que sans le marché noir, ses yeux n'auraient pas été aussi ouverts.

:h:

Thanks

Have you read the book btw?
Why don't you think you will get an A*? We've still got alot of time left till the exam. I'm also aiming for an A* and got a U in the mock lol but i didn't revise at all whatsoever (i got a B at AS tho).

And unlucky on the interview, what sort of questions were you asked and those you messed up on?

I applied for engineering, nothing related to french tho :smile: but it's always good to speak another language.

The exam is just so hit and miss I don't want to get my hopes up ahahaha
My nerves just got the better of me in the interviews and I basically forgot how to speak spanish :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending