The Student Room Group

getting a tattoo

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for over a year now to commemorate coming through a major health scare and to remind me of some fabulous adventures in India and Cambodia, the problem is I don't think I have the physic as a skinny male to carry off a tattoo and I am trying to settle on a design I absolutely love. Any advise on placement, I was thinking my thigh and how to get inspiration for a design.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thighs a good place to get tattoos, dont hurt too much neither and for inspiration youd go to the tattoo artist, explain what you want etc and they work with you to design it how you want it.

iv got over 10 tattoos including 3 big ones so im pretty clued up
Tattoos are fad. Unless you've been to prison, a gang or the armed forces, don't get one.
Reply 3
Original post by richpanda
Tattoos are fad. Unless you've been to prison, a gang or the armed forces, don't get one.

oh ffs really?
iv never been in any of those and mine are ok
Get a tattoo of your face on your face.
Original post by shawtyb
oh ffs really?
iv never been in any of those and mine are ok

Well I'm sure they'll look GREAT once you're 40.
Reply 6

and im sure youd look better when ur not on TSR...
Original post by shawtyb
and im sure youd look better when ur not on TSR...

I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say here? and btw

*I'm
*you'd
* you're
Reply 8
I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say here? and btw

*I'm
*you'd
* you're

and i care about you correcting me why?
im not being marked :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
and i care about you correcting me why?
im not being marked :smile:

you're not exactly radiating linguistic skill and intelligence.

Anyway, what was it that you said about me on TSR (could you put it in English this time?)
Reply 10
Original post by shawtyb
thighs a good place to get tattoos, dont hurt too much neither and for inspiration youd go to the tattoo artist, explain what you want etc and they work with you to design it how you want it.

iv got over 10 tattoos including 3 big ones so im pretty clued up

Thank's, good idea about going to talk to the various artists, how would you recommend finding the right artist?
Reply 11

Anyway, what was it that you said about me on TSR (could you put it in English this time?)

Richpanda everybody has the right to treat their body how they want to. Tattoos do not harm anyone else.

Last year I had a section of jaw bone removed due to a large tumor being found in it, I could have lost a large portion of my jaw teeth etc, luckily I escaped the worst and I want to commemorate this in someway, with something in my life i loved i.e the trips to Asia. Have you ever had a major health scare?

Yes it is my way of dealing with it, its my choice and my body, a tattoo is not for everyone, but stop being so narrow minded about the.

Dude, arguing with someone about what they do with their bodies is like telling a random stranger how they should dress themselves.

I'm sure your leather hoodie and Snapback look great. But you're not Coco Chanel, so your opinion doesn't matter.

Spoiler

your not exactly the nicest of people are you. 0 marks for people skills

Original post by monkeytea
Thank's, good idea about going to talk to the various artists, how would you recommend finding the right artist?

i recommend looking at their portfolios before commiting to them. if you like their work, shortlist them. if their work looks tacky, stay away
I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for over a year now to commemorate coming through a major health scare and to remind me of some fabulous adventures in India and Cambodia, the problem is I don't think I have the physic as a skinny male to carry off a tattoo and I am trying to settle on a design I absolutely love. Any advise on placement, I was thinking my thigh and how to get inspiration for a design.

I am dying for this on my right part of my chest. Sort of like on the breast, where the nose can point to my shoulder so that I can get the moon put there at some other day.

@shawtyb do you know how much this one would hurt?_20160313_104217.JPG
Original post by Tinemither
I am dying for this on my right part of my chest. Sort of like on the breast, where the nose can point to my shoulder so that I can get the moon put there at some other day.

@shawtyb do you know how much this one would hurt?_20160313_104217.JPG

hahaha oh god the chest kills!!
iv only got writing on mine and i nearly had to stop but shading is better then outlining. the closer to the chest bone and collar bone the worse it is
Reply 16
Original post by shawtyb
your not exactly the nicest of people are you. 0 marks for people skills

i recommend looking at their portfolios before commiting to them. if you like their work, shortlist them. if their work looks tacky, stay away

than you, I will let you know how i get on.
than you, I will let you know how i get on.

your welcome :smile:
I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for over a year now to commemorate coming through a major health scare and to remind me of some fabulous adventures in India and Cambodia, the problem is I don't think I have the physique as a skinny male to carry off a tattoo and I am trying to settle on a design I absolutely love. Any advise on placement, I was thinking my thigh and how to get inspiration for a design.

Physique doesn't matter if you get the right tattoo and place it right. May sound obvious but I'd avoid face and hands (as well as lower arms and neck) as some employers still look down on them (and most good tattoo studios won't do them unless you have loads already). If you want to be able to easily see it, upper arms, legs, chest are possibilities.

Design-wise you really have to settle on that for yourself but in my opinion the best tattoos use where they are on the body, e.g. I saw a tattoo of a snake coiled around someones arm. Given what you've described I'd be looking at symbolism associated with health, possibly related to Indian or Cambodian culture (symbols of life, re-incarnation, rebirth etc, but I'd be very careful to fully research that to guarantee it means what you think it means) or I'd be looking at a specific memory you associate with what you want and get something that reminds you of that (I figured I wanted to work in conservation after working with a pair of Snow Leopards, so i'm planning a tattoo of a Snow Leopard climbing down my upper arm).

Best thing you could do, look up artists and studios online, go for consultations, find styles you like and talk to the artists.

Riiight... something that's been around for, at a minimum estimate of, over 5000 years is a fad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shawtyb
hahaha oh god the chest kills!!
iv only got writing on mine and i nearly had to stop but shading is better then outlining. the closer to the chest bone and collar bone the worse it is

As quite a weedy guy, it should hurt lots then :wink: that's fine. Pain threshold is high, and I'll bring something to bite down on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending