The Student Room Group

Not going to finish Chemistry AS syllabus

I hope someone can help me, please. Our Chemistry teacher still has 3 topics left to teach on the Edexcel syllabus - I need A grades for my ucas app in Oct for med school. Reading the text book is not going to be enough: are there any on-line courses I could use? I have tried to find a tutor but it's a bit late now.
Reply 1
Original post by Bird Song
I hope someone can help me, please. Our Chemistry teacher still has 3 topics left to teach on the Edexcel syllabus - I need A grades for my ucas app in Oct for med school. Reading the text book is not going to be enough: are there any on-line courses I could use? I have tried to find a tutor but it's a bit late now.

The textbook is going to be enough. All teachers plan their lessons around textbooks and specifications, use them and you'll be fine.

Just be methodical. My advice is to begin with watching a video relating to the topic, then read the textbook pages for a topic, make notes, answer the summary questions. Once you're done, read through your work and then use the past paper questions in the textbook for that topic. Simples.
Reply 2
3 topics? Don't you have until like may/june? Surely that's enough time
Reply 3
Original post by jamestg
The textbook is going to be enough. All teachers plan their lessons around textbooks and specifications, use them and you'll be fine.

Just be methodical. My advice is to begin with watching a video relating to the topic, then read the textbook pages for a topic, make notes, answer the summary questions. Once you're done, read through your work and then use the past paper questions in the textbook for that topic. Simples.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.
Reply 4
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

No problem, I'm sure you'll be fine and good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Rabadon
3 topics? Don't you have until like may/june? Surely that's enough time

Well - I just feel that learning new stuff until just before the exams means no time at all for revision.
That is 100% enough time... Just read your Book, print off past papers and watch Khan Academy youtube videos.
you are right about that...Chemistry is one subject that if you don't revise, there is just no use studying it the first time.
But listen, you can do it! We still have one and a half month to go and don't be dependent upon your teacher, do it yourself! We all have the capacity, the capability to do everything, we just need to believe in ourselves and bring out the best from ourselves. I did my IGCSEs totally myself!, without any tutor, any institution or any academy at all! I did it all myself and got As, Bs and A*s.
You can also read the thread I just wrote : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3901689

Now I'm doing my A' Level and that also all myself and believe me, it's quite easy!
I know better my ways to study than a teacher I can understand myself better than anyone else!

Well - I just feel that learning new stuff until just before the exams means no time at all for revision.
Read the spec and google the topic. Chemistry is chemistry regardless of your exam board. You will find tons of help on the internet.
Reply 9

I kind of agree actually. We were the same for AS chemistry too incidentally. Best bet would be to read ahead and watch youtube videos I guess. I wouldn't worry though it didn't prove to be detrimental for me at all.
Reply 10
Original post by Rabadon
I kind of agree actually. We were the same for AS chemistry too incidentally. Best bet would be to read ahead and watch youtube videos I guess. I wouldn't worry though it didn't prove to be detrimental for me at all.

Thanks, I will.
Reply 11
Original post by Chopshticks
Read the spec and google the topic. Chemistry is chemistry regardless of your exam board. You will find tons of help on the internet.

OK, thanks.
which topics are they? some are really small.
Reply 13
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
you are right about that...Chemistry is one subject that if you don't revise, there is just no use studying it the first time.
But listen, you can do it! We still have one and a half month to go and don't be dependent upon your teacher, do it yourself! We all have the capacity, the capability to do everything, we just need to believe in ourselves and bring out the best from ourselves. I did my IGCSEs totally myself!, without any tutor, any institution or any academy at all! I did it all myself and got As, Bs and A*s.
You can also read the thread I just wrote : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3901689

Now I'm doing my A' Level and that also all myself and believe me, it's quite easy!
I know better my ways to study than a teacher I can understand myself better than anyone else!

Thank you. You are inspiring.
Reply 14
Original post by NimbleNeil
That is 100% enough time... Just read your Book, print off past papers and watch Khan Academy youtube videos.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 15
Original post by Rabadon

Thanks, I'll try.
Thanks, I'll try.

what topics haven't you done?
For my chemistry, on the same syllabus as you we are half way through topic six(organic chemistry) :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest