The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDarlo91
Hey guys,

sorry if this is a bit off topic but I just wanted to get a general idea. What would you say is the average age of a graduate entering medicine?

I ask because I am 24 and just had offers from some 5 year courses, and one pre med course. I am half tempted by the pre med year but getting a bit anxious at the idea of being 30/31 when I qualify. Is this sort of age to be qualifying pretty standard or not?

Cheers :biggrin:

On my 5 year course at Southampton there are a few graduates all ~21 who came straight from biomed etc. Then another group all above 25 who came from other things and changing careers. I will be 31 when I graduate and not bothered by it all! There's a guy on medicine here who's 50!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

. .I am 24 and... getting a bit anxious at the idea of being 30/31 when I qualify. Is this sort of age to be qualifying pretty standard or not?

You are only just scraping into the mature student bracket! It's most common to be graduating in mid 20s because A100 makes up most of the places available & it's primarily a school leaver option (only about 700 dedicated GEM places available each year). But for grads it's pretty common to be graduating in mid 30s with outliers to either side.
Dissertation done and bound - that warrants a Grey's Anatomy binge, right?!
Original post by LilithSternin
Dissertation done and bound - that warrants a Grey's Anatomy binge, right?!

Mine is just making me cry. Reformatting and reformatting again millions of graphs. Have you firmed Newcastle by the way? :smile:
Original post by Clunkles
Mine is just making me cry. Reformatting and reformatting again millions of graphs. Have you firmed Newcastle by the way? :smile:

Oh my God yes. The science was the easy bit compared to references and graphs and margins and who knows what else.

I have yes, have you?
Anyone been through occupational health for anxiety/depression as a result of the post offer health questionnaire? Will I need to go through occ health for anxiety/depression? If so what happens?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys,

sorry if this is a bit off topic but I just wanted to get a general idea. What would you say is the average age of a graduate entering medicine?

I ask because I am 24 and just had offers from some 5 year courses, and one pre med course. I am half tempted by the pre med year but getting a bit anxious at the idea of being 30/31 when I qualify. Is this sort of age to be qualifying pretty standard or not?

Cheers :biggrin:

I'll be 38 when I graduate (provided I get a place)
Reply 5047
Wish I would be early thirties when I graduate!

Applying next year and I'll be 34 when I start, so 38 when I graduate.

I'm currently working for a local authority as a middle manager but I've literally hit a wall and need to follow a new path.

Good luck with your applications!
Original post by treenyc
Anyone been through occupational health for anxiety/depression as a result of the post offer health questionnaire? Will I need to go through occ health for anxiety/depression? If so what happens?

I have submitted my occupational health form. As of yet I have not had occupational health ask me for any more details about my depression. But as of now I have not been on medication for a number of years, I have never been hospitalised and my GP has signed me off as being fit and well enough to make it through the course. They may still want to see me when I start the course. Who knows. Will post if anything changes.

Have you had anything?

As for the age debate on the thread. I will be 29 at the start of the course and 34 at the end. Not too bad. And depending on what they do to the retirement age over the next couple of decades I should be able to give the NHS 40 - 50 years service. Provided I live that long.

I think the government plan is to have us all die at our desks/on a ward round/at the operating table. Then they don't have to pay us our "gold-plated pensions"
Ironically I'm wondering about being too young relative to others on the course hahaha, I'm still 20, 21 in the Summer and hopefully starting in September after my current degree!
Original post by Rich_JW95
Ironically I'm wondering about being too young relative to others on the course hahaha, I'm still 20, 21 in the Summer and hopefully starting in September after my current degree!

I'll be the same age as you, I was slightly worry about that too. Where will you be going?
Once you get there you will realise that a) no-one actually cares how old you are, b) you'll have bigger things to worry about.
Original post by LilithSternin
Oh my God yes. The science was the easy bit compared to references and graphs and margins and who knows what else.

I have yes, have you?

Yeah! On the FB group? :smile:
Original post by Creatingchaos
I'll be the same age as you, I was slightly worry about that too. Where will you be going?

Had an interview for Liverpool, got an interview for Nottingham - I'm dead-set on Nottingham! How about you? :smile:
Had an interview for Liverpool, got an interview for Nottingham - I'm dead-set on Nottingham! How about you? :smile:

Ooo well good luck! I'll be firming King's once Newcastle get back to me

I'm currently in my first year at Nottingham, it's great! Any questions you might have feel free to ask (other than specific interview questions obviously) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
I'm currently in my first year at Nottingham, it's great! Any questions you might have feel free to ask (other than specific interview questions obviously) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask what your weekly timetable is like and do you have (or have time for) a part time job? I have a fiancée who can hopefully move toward Derby with me next year if I'm successful (we're only in Manchester) but would have bills to pay and a wedding to save for 😫 Life has a habit of getting in the way sadly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
Yeah! On the FB group? :smile:

Yup, seems like a friendly bunch!
Original post by Creatingchaos
Ooo well good luck! I'll be firming King's once Newcastle get back to me

If you want to firm Kings you can just withdraw from Newcastle even if they haven't made a decision on UCAS.
Original post by Quilverine
If you want to firm Kings you can just withdraw from Newcastle even if they haven't made a decision on UCAS.

I know, I just want to know if they would've given me an offer. It's unlikely now but my parents want to know since that's where we're from :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending